Terrible version of America

How are you going to make anyone do pushups after finals? The season is over at that point.

Boof96,

You're kidding right? Right...please tell me you're kidding.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for the record, I am almost 100% positive that the person who played for over 20 seconds after the cutoff was NOT from BD. It was coming from the right side of the field, and the people around me started looking really confused and awkward. I was pretty embarassed to hear it, to be honest. I didn't listen that deeply to America, but I've been offended from versions before so I just try and appreciate it for the enormous wall of sound that it is.

One thing about the Cavaliers is, they are really laid back and love to joke around, especially at retreat. It's the way they've been for quite some time. However, note that it is not the case with the guard! They are well disciplined and always looke very respectful, they get in their files and then give salutes when necessary and that's all.

Every year I marched, it was always wierd coming into finals and the moments afterwards. It's an end to such a long process, and people get really carried away, and tend to do a lot of reverting back to a very unclassy nature. It's hard to explain.

I always felt that it was a true mark of class that even through finals, even after the uniform is off, even returning home and moving on with life, there was never a time to simply flip a switch and turn it off. I just feel like if I did that, I would be forgetting about all the things I learned in Drum Corps that were most important to me.

Edit- For the record, I went back to listen for how long it took before the person actually cut off-

Over 2 days- the person is still holding that last note.

Edited by Stick Stack

No. That was my serious face.

Jason,

You would do push-ups because you are part of something bigger than yourself...out of respect for the corps and the director that had been your family for months or even years. You would do push-ups because you would recognize that you had embarrassed yourself, your corps and all the men who had come before you, men who had created the tradition that allowed you the opportunity to make an absolute fool of yourself in front of several thousand people

Actually now I understand how we've gotten to this point. The fact that you need to ask the question is, in fact, the answer.

Edited by khoutler

Jason,

You would do push-ups because you are part of something bigger than yourself...out of respect for the corps and the director that had been your family for months or even years. You would do push-ups because you would recognize that that you had embarrassed yourself, your corps and all the men who had come before you, men who had created the tradition that allowed you the opportunity to make an absolute fool of yourself in front of several thousand people

Actually now I understand how we've gotten to this point. The fact that you need to ask the question is, in fact, the answer.

The answer to what? Why some idiots decided to S**t all over America the Beautiful during retreat block? If those guys cared about any of that stuff then they wouldn't have done it in the first place. But what can you do about it? The season is OVER. People go HOME after finals. Your assertion that the corps director is going to have these kids doing pushups in the lot while their families pack their luggage in the car is absurd.

The answer to what? Why some idiots decided to S**t all over America the Beautiful during retreat block? If those guys cared about any of that stuff then they wouldn't have done it in the first place. But what can you do about it? The season is OVER. People go HOME after finals. Your assertion that the corps director is going to have these kids doing pushups in the lot while their families pack their luggage in the car is absurd.

Wow, your drum corps experience was MUCH different than mine. I am so sorry...

I keep hearing how terribly the Blue Devils behaved. Did Carolina Crown do anything wrong?

I believe emotions get the best of the corps but all year I keep hearing about the discipline, training, etc. that marching in Drum Corps provides. Even though it was just a select few who behaved badly - it definitely doesn't look good to fans of Drum Corps, especially at the end of the season. If the members want to do something like that, they should perform America properly and then DCI could let them play something fun to release the tension. Just not cool to disrespect the song America - I am a proud wife of a United States Marine and do not like for anyone to disrespect America in general. Yes, they are young but so are the guys fighting for our freedom in foreign countries. I believe they would trade spots with anyone who marches on any given night.