Terrible version of America

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You apparently didn't see the Cavaliers cheering the Blue Devils from the end zone on Friday night.

No I didn't. I was busy actually watching Blue Devils' performance.

Look, I know Cavies are a classy organization. Actually, it's more an exception than the rule when any corps is NOT good sports. And maybe Cavies were just being light-hearted at retreat and we shouldn't be reading anything into it. I don't have firsthand knowledge of the inner-workings of the corps so I can't say.

But there's only one full retreat every year. It's unquestionably a time consuming process which is one reason why it's not done more frequently. Has it outlived its usefulness? Sure, it's cool seeing 1700+ performers on the field at once but the America encore sort of sucks, the corps don't play themselves off and it takes a long time from the final score until the winning corps takes the field again. Would it be better to, say, let the members fill in the backfield stands and watch the scores that way? They can then relax, have fun, and the winning corps can get to their encore a lot sooner.

Pssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssst. What if you really don't care; it's just a song?

Please confirm what you heard/hear.

Someone mentioned only hearing players hang over at the end and other than that, it was fine. (yes, I am paraphrasing).

Cool, I have no problem with that. Everyones' ears do not hear the same things. Some ears are more discerning than others.

Some ears are more musically sensitive or musically trained than others. Some ears are hyper sensitive to pitch, tone, balance, blend, etc.

Some audience members get so wrapped up in the emotion, that discernment for detail is diminished; more for some than others. Recordings often

reveal more reality than a live assessment. Sometimes the recordings are confirming.

So here is what I heard myself and what I hear on the recordings (recordings a little more revealing for me than live in this case).

Bad sounds, wrong notes, and wrong octaves on the very first downbeat.

Immediately followed by more bad sounds, wrong notes, tpts up the 8va, some playing as loud as possible (esp. low brass).

This all followed by more of the same and people also playing over all rests and cadence releases.

Continued bad sounds, wrong notes, up 8va, and lots of improvised parts toward the last few phrases.

More of the same on final phrase but overtly so (more have joined in on the BS, under peer pressure?).

Last note completely obliterated (so many joining the fun that the overall was undefinable).

6 to 10 people hanging over for different lengths on different notes on all ranges of instruments, few tpts & mello(s) going 8 to 10 seconds over.

What do you hear?

Pssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssst. What if you really don't care; it's just a song?

Tell that to the thousands who have donned a military uniform for the United States, and also the thousands who died so we can freely post on sites such as DCP without fear of anything!

Just a song? That may be your opinion, but to an overwhelming majority, it's a lot more than that!

No I didn't. I was busy actually watching Blue Devils' performance.

Look, I know Cavies are a classy organization. Actually, it's more an exception than the rule when any corps is NOT good sports. And maybe Cavies were just being light-hearted at retreat and we shouldn't be reading anything into it. I don't have firsthand knowledge of the inner-workings of the corps so I can't say.

But there's only one full retreat every year. It's unquestionably a time consuming process which is one reason why it's not done more frequently. Has it outlived its usefulness? Sure, it's cool seeing 1700+ performers on the field at once but the America encore sort of sucks, the corps don't play themselves off and it takes a long time from the final score until the winning corps takes the field again. Would it be better to, say, let the members fill in the backfield stands and watch the scores that way? They can then relax, have fun, and the winning corps can get to their encore a lot sooner.

Either do the retreat seriously. Or tell the Corps Director or staff member you are ill, and beg off the retreat.

Don't go and try and make the paying audience have to wince by sabotaging a piece of music, or waste their time goofing off in front of them.

Save the goofing around for when you are out of uniform and in the parking lot or hanging around the busses. You can wail on any bad notes on a trumpet to your heart's content there.

When you are before a paying audience, you don't waste their time.... nor their money.

Tell that to the thousands who have donned a military uniform for the United States, and also the thousands who died so we can freely post on sites such as DCP without fear of anything!

Just a song? That may be your opinion, but to an overwhelming majority, it's a lot more than that!

We're not talking about the national anthem here.

Not everyone has to get all teary eyed every time they hear any song that is patriotic.

...except moderation, topic-closing, and getting banned?

Then where's the agitation for a better arrangement? What part of American Pride and Honor requires the triplet or the weird chord structures?

haah this topic is going no where. its just a bunch of people complaining about one song at the very end of the season. their kids jeez, and goofing off is probably what they do best, i know cause i am a kid... and besides its the last thing they get to do together, and after 3months of constantly seeking perfection, isnt it nice to just compeletly screw up and do something dare i say it wrong?

this should be closed. IMO