Things you would like Corps to change for next year...

After two years of impact-free drum corps, it's time for the Crossmen to get a new arranger and give the members something memorable to strut their stuff with.

Go back to Chuck Naffier.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I forgot one.

INT - keep the dramatic silences, but ditch the pricey beverages.

ok, am I the only one who thinks Blue Stars look goofy in shakos?

Bring back the helmets!

No Mark, my husband who marched 27 in 78, hated the hats, he said the same thing, "Bring back the helmets and something resembling the Blue Stars uniform please".

I would like to add mine:

I wish most of the Color guard uniforms would have a little bit more class and look like SOMETHING, I saw some of the ugliest color guard uniforms, I think in DCI's History. It was like they decided to design the most outrageous color schemes and designs...just awful.

I just hope that if Cadets decide not to do narration, that they won't use electronics either.

As a matter of fact, I hope no one uses electronics for next year and we just get back to more entertaining corps like we had this year. Entertaining and performing at their best.

I hope Spirit gets a new uniform and a new identity cause I don't like this one. Play something please...

Add some red in Crossmen's uniform.

I agree that Cavies need to step it up in the brass book and stop pulling out drill moves we've seen before!

Troopers keep having fun but do some more tweeking on your new uniform look please.

Edited by Lancerlady

Phantom- Be more thematic- you don't do enough!! ha ha ha.

BD- Get rid of the skirts. Play "One More Time!!!"

Cavies- Get better Music.

Crown- Ditch the Brown PLumes, I liked the Purple.

Bluecoats- Get a Better Drill.

SCV- Play a more musically impactful show to go with the great drill.

BStars- On the right track, keep increasing the level of difficulty in program.

Blue Knights- Play a stellar music book. (short Ride in a Fast Machine????? Please!!!) I can't wait to see what you'll cook up in '09.

Boston- Time to tweak the marching technique.

Madison- Increase the difficulty of programing.

Crossmen- Play music that is not quite so chopped up. Although effective, it seemed to lack the musical resolution that Madison and Colts had around you.

INT- Get better Hotdogs and Pretzels. For the Love of.... Stop hogging everyone's time!!!! :cool:

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

Edited by wesleyrp

Here are things I would like to see changed next year.

1. Add some class to the colorguard unis. I am with lancerlady. Some of the worst ever unis.

2. One corps buck the tend and go back to G horns

3. More stick work in the battery like what BD did this year.

4. More company fronts... right up front.

5. Less hornline body movements...I could have almost threw up seeing shots of the hornline doing more body movements than pumping air through the horn.

6. Less WGI in drum corps

7. No narration at all.

8. SCV go back in time and do shows like what Phantom did this year...something along the lines of Scherezade, Phantom of the Opera, Miss Saigon, etc....

9. BD do a rockabilly show and blow the house down

10. Would like to see the Cadets come west next year.

Santa Clara Vanguard:

- Fire director

- Fire Key Poulan

- Fire brass staff

- DON'T DO CLUE! Almost the entire design team is changed since it was designed.

- Get music on time so we can get drill on time! (get show done earlier)

Academy

- Fire brass writer (already done)

- Fire drill designer

- Hire big guns, which I think will translate to a major improvement

- Don't change your attitude and work habits

Capital Regiment

- Bring back Jay Bocook

- Don't copy Cadets, get a diverse staff

- Bring back the indoor drumline

- Keep Rick Bays away from members and tour, hire a tour director

8. SCV go back in time and do shows like what Phantom did this year...something along the lines of Scherezade, Phantom of the Opera, Miss Saigon, etc....

You mean like 2005?

I don't think/hope Vanguard will never do Phantom of the Opera, too magical. And Scherezade is only 4 years ago, that might be alittle too soon don't you think?

But I do find it ironic that Scherezade was Rick Valenzules best finish with SCV (3rd), and now he's having a lot of success with PR using the same style of show design. That style being storyline.

I agree that Cavies need to step it up in the brass book and stop pulling out drill moves we've seen before!

The first part, I agree with. The second part, not so much. Every corps rehashes drill moves. There's actually many differences among their shows this decade. Regarding this year, some classic Gaines' moves are in the show, with variations on other moves and new ones all together.

But yes, Cavaliers, you have a great hornline. Play some more! I love Samurai this year, but adding more meat to next year's book would be awesome!

I agree with a few uniform facts mentioned: I want red back on the XMen, and I want crown in cream and purple instead of cream and brown/bronze/drab. I'm not feeling Madison's new look at all, perhaps white pants back would help that.

musically, I've got one request of the center snares of the world. It's been the case for a while, but it seemed particularly egregious this year. I, Joe Q. Audiencemember, do not need to hear you dutting through quiet passages and vuotos. Surely you can (in most cases) be sure your line hears you and we don't.

Work so hard to always be nice, but not feeling it with all groups this morning. sorry.

The thread IS titled "Things to change."

Regiment: Loved it, my favorite. Change little. Increase guard presence and rep. for another win

BD: Great performers. Though better than Cavies book, play music with more substance, brass. Axe the half skirt. Throw the Die-NASTY horns in the

bay, you will be even louder, carry more GE, and have more brass colors available with the sound produced by almost any other brand of horn.

Cavies: Great corps, I'm tired of this formula. Brass need music that has function other than soundtrack for the visual. If I was a second baritone player, I could not imagine wanting to come back to play my horn, maybe back to be in a top corps, or possibly win, or march well, but not to grow as a musican through a challenging brass book.

Crown: Loved it, my second favorite. Change little. More drill variety and up the drill cleaning factor, its so close so many times.

Cadets: George, stop trying to do all the creative stuff yourself. I know its hard buddy, since you nailed it so many years in the past. See 2006, and go from there.

Bluecoats: Solid corps. Your climb had been fun to watch. Up guard offering. Stick to music of the modern, criminal, commercial, soundtracky, hip nature.

SCV: Also a great coprs. Love the attitude. More accessibility throughout the show. Drill amazing but not cleanable to where it HAS to be to win. Revamp brass program.

Blue Stars: Impressive return. Now, you gotta have more music meat. Keep the current effect ideas (will aid your identity) and add more effects that rely on drill/music/guard. Moving up from here is not easy. Keep tweaking the uniform.

Blue Knights: Love the uniqueness. More accessibility please. Your brand of show has to be spit perfect to carry full effect, but maybe since it doesn't ever seem to quite get there...a compromise? Tired of guard unis and the flags. Have not liked the uniform since dots went away. Small dots don't make me any happier. My least favorite uni for many years. Too drab and something awkward I just can't put my finger on.

Boston: Good show. Really liked the drill. Guard program needs revamping. More brass finesses at times without loosing power. Keep it aggressive.

Glassmen: Cute show. Great guard. Most energy in many years. Brass needs help, but at least they were staged pretty well for the first time in many years. Now (sorry), watch BOA finals from any recent year and design a show that those groups could not do in order to stay in this game. Trying to help, really I am.

Madison: Congrats. More music finesses and polish, but keep the GE coming. Write an ending that is better than the opening. Bust your a#### to get more guard numbers and increase the quality there. Get a guard uni that is flattering, but still butch.

Crossmen: Also congrats. Great initial ideas and X use. Solid guard. Hate to say it this way, but music design too BOA: convoluted, disassembled, etc. More impacts. Drill was good, needs to be up a notch. Ok, after two years to brass mezzo forte/ F- around-the-room stale, time to deliver. Anyone on brass staff that knows how DCI lines do that? even at your talent level?

Colts: Finalist in many past seasons, but everyone is getting much better, you gotta stay ahead of the curve. See 2006, increase creativity from there and less relying on old school 1980s stuff, especially with the color guard. Your Americana-ish identity is working, stick to that without going too Troopers. (let Troopers be themselves)

Spirit: Talent level seemed good. Programming probably weakest in world class and many top open class groups. Find a programmer with multiple experiences and insight to the many aspects of what a coordinated show takes as well as building an identity. Don't think Southern jazz is necessarily the ticket, as many have, and I am sure many others do suggest. There just isn't enough of that style to do every year and tempo de Gone With the Wind would get old quick.

Academy: See above.

Troopers: Your come back is exciting. Guard is an obvious concern. Show worked, but for this year only. Up the creativity and demand (but must be achievable) . Keep the style.

Pacific Crest: Good corps. Everything just needs to be a lot cleaner.

Mandarins: Aggressive approach is great. Changes: See above.

Pioneer: Show was better. More of that with more members and higher quality.