Things you would like Corps to change for next year...

PIONEER

-- Thank you. We're done with the funny hats. Try a new look for 2009

-- You've got a lot of newish material to work from: Celtic Women, Gaelic Storm

-- How about staging Gangs of New York? There was an Irish element to that.

SCV and SPIRIT

-- No m0re pl4ying by the numb3rs. We obviously didn't get it.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kinda like it, looks sleek and still has that unique western cavalry feel.

It does?

Few things that come to mind....

1. If you don't have a plate line, get one....they add a lot to the show IMO and helps me to take a look at the percussion which isn't an area that I normally check out much.

2. Reduce the volume on the amps in the front ensemble...especially for the smaller shows at high school stadiums. Its just too much!

3. Incorporate ALL the guard members in as much of the show as possible. I hate seeing guard members sit on the sidelines for large portions of the show; I just feel bad for them. Boston comes to mind specifically as they had 4 members that sat out the entire last song...they couldn't enjoy that feeling of the standing 'o' during Conquest.

4. Keep the 2nd GE judge....I liked that.

5. Spirit - choose a more recognizable theme and music; I think that is necessary to draw the fans attention back to you...it seems to be lacking the past couple of seasons. Keep your percussion instructors....but focus more on guard which needs some improvement.

6. Cavies - I have to agree with others, a little more music...love their sound!

7. Boston - Do whatever you have to do to keep as many of those 110+ rookies you had this year!

8. Glassmen, Blue Knights and Colts - Change your show theme entirely. While I have enjoyed your respective shows the past couple years, the themes are a little monotonous...I feel a drastic theme change would be exciting!

9. Southwind - If you do in fact return in '09, continue the same progress you had the past couple of years...a little wacky, very enjoyable and fan accessible.

10. The Academy - see Spirit; the show this year just wasn't very fan accessible IMO.

11. Continue having the Open Class winner perform at the World Class Finals like they did this year, but also let them join the retreat as in years past.

1. If you don't have a plate line, get one....they add a lot to the show IMO and helps me to take a look at the percussion which isn't an area that I normally check out much.

Good call. :tongue:

Only one change...Regiment becoming back to back champs for the first time in their DCI history.

That's it....my only change.

Would LOVE more than anything else to see that happen...

Did Chuck arrange for any drum corps this year? I love his stuff.

I believe he did something for the Racine Scouts. He is a reader on here, maybe he can enlighten us. Chuck????

The main thing I would like to see change is for Carolina Crown to come out with a powerful, hard hitting show similar to Phanton's effort this year. I believe Crown has the talent, after the past few years they have the fans and I think 2009 will be their time to shine. The past few years have been awesome but a little cutesy in theme. Would love to see some real drama especially with their outstanding guard. Percussion needs to refine a bit which should be no problem with their finish this year. They should have a good selection of percussion people to chose from at tryout time. The existing line is good, just need to add a few to make up for the ageouts and they could have the total package.

Just a few thoughts:

1. Blue Devils- How about some Stan Kenton, Buddy Rich, or something similiar? You were always the king of jazz in drum corp and I know Wayne Downey can arrange it so tastefully.

2. Phantom- How about Symphonie Fantastique? I like what the previous poster mentioned.

3. Cavaliers- Don't change much except a little more technical stuff in the brassline. Don't touch the percussion; great pit/ battery. Guard is great as always!

4. Madison- How about some Madison jazz? Selections that the audience can really get into.

5. Cadets- Drop the narration.

6. SCV- Please bring back music that your audience is familiar with. Also, a cleaner visual program earlier in the season, so you don't have to play catchup.

I believe he did something for the Racine Scouts. He is a reader on here, maybe he can enlighten us. Chuck????

Didn't he arrange for Troopers? Or was that last year?