How many world class corps in 09?

some one please correct me if i am incorrect. However, I believe that Capital Regiment (and any other corps in this position I may add) must return to open class because they have been inactive for a full year.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, there are significantly fewer corps than there were, but for the most part the top-tier has remained relatively stable.

If you consider ONLY top-tier corps (that competed only in the highest division during the season) from 1985-today, the numbers are as follows:

1985 - 32

1986 - 29

1987 - 29

1988 - 24

1989 - 24

1990 - 28

1991 - 23

1992 - 22

1993 - 24

1994 - 19

1995 - 18

1996 - 20

1997 - 21

1998 - 19

1999 - 21

2000 - 19

2001 - 18

2002 - 19

2003 - 23

2004 - 24

2005 - 24

2006 - 23

2007 - 22

2008 - 20

Its interesting to note that as far as top-tier numbers go, 2003-2006 was pretty much on par with 1988-1993.

Carried over from "the future" thread, above is the count of corps that competed exclusively in Div.1/World Class since 1985.

If we manage to get 25 or 26 corps in World Class next year, that would put the "top tier" in its healthiest state since 1990!

Right now, from everything I heard in Bloomington (standard scuttlebutt, and DCI folks chatting), Jersey is in, Teal not until 2010, Cap Reg to Open Class because of the need to be re-evaluated, and because of serious issues with operations in 2006, Cascades/Southwind both in World because their inactivity has only been 1 season...

Now, as to how accurate these all are, I can't say...but I would have to agree with all of them.

I feel the need to let you all know that I totally agree with the reevaluation process, but thought it might be fun to discuss.

There were things that happened in Capital's season in 06 that definately need to be brought up and settled (rumors or fact)

After taking two years off of competition it is crucial that DCI re evaluate corps and make sure that they are ready to be considered

world class again

Teal Sound had one heck of a tour (and one heck of a great show!) this year, and I would imagine if all went well for them financially there would be no real incentive to stay in Open aside from a chance at a title. They performed more than a few of the World Class corps this year.

some one please correct me if i am incorrect. However, I believe that Capital Regiment (and any other corps in this position I may add) must return to open class because they have been inactive for a full year.

That rule/policy no longer exists. The participation review committee can approve Capital Regiment for world-class in '09 if they deem it appropriate.

Not when you're holding over 500,000 buckaroos your alumni corps raised for you.

IIRC, that was raised in order to replace the funds received annually from Rosemont. Mayor died, new guy decided then needed storm sewers or some such more than to support a nationally-auditioned corps. Too bad--best advertisement the village probably ever had. But I agree--it sure is nice that the alumni corps did what it did.

Someone in green fill me in if I'm totally off base.

Carried over from "the future" thread, above is the count of corps that competed exclusively in Div.1/World Class since 1985.

If we manage to get 25 or 26 corps in World Class next year, that would put the "top tier" in its healthiest state since 1990!

Yikes--where are THOSE numbers coming from??? I can think of about 4 corps right off the top of my head that have gone bye-bye. Where does the difference in 20 now and 23 in early 90's come from? Were there that many Carolina Crown's, Magic and Southwind's who moved up only to have VK, Freelancers, Sky and Black Gold go defunct? Not to mention Florida Wave, Suncoast Sound, etc.

Not a blasting email...the numbers just struck my eyes/memory. Care to fill me in on details?