All time favorite "Drum Corps Moment".

I will NEVER forget the first time I saw the Madison Scouts. It was 1978 at the Horicon Wisconsin "Marsh Days". I was in a smaller corps and, of course we had to do the parade during the day before the show. I was very young and had not seen many of the big corps yet. Our corps had warmed up and for some reason (the ever-present "hurry up and wait" of every parade!) we had some time to chill before we were starting the parade.

For some reason I decided it would be a good idea to wonder off, again, I was very young. I remember walking through the park and watching all of the preparations taking place for the parade. All of sudden, before I knew what was happening I was standing in front of a most magestic sight. It was the Madison Scouts hornline warming up in a semi-circle. Of course I didn't know anything about them at that point, but something captured my attention and I was completely captivated. The instructor gave the horns some time to warm up on their own and I remember watching some of the sopranos playing arpegios. They were gods, they must be! I had never heard a hornline play with such expertise and excitement.

I'm not sure how long I was there in my trance, but my brother came to find me and let me know that my corps was already starting the parade. He had been looking for me for some time. I remember during the parade reminiscing about what I had just experienced, truly amazing!

That night at the Horicon show my corps was on early and we were given time to watch the other corps perform. I found a space on the grass at the front of the field and anxiously awaited the group that I had seen earlier in the day at the park. I knew as soon as they entered the stadium I was in for a life-changing experience. They entered the gate like they owned the world! The poise and confidence they had was like nothing I had seen before.

Honestly I don't remember much from the Scouts' performance that night. I was completely in another world, experiencing something that I never dreamed was possible. They performed like they were possessed by some amazing deities that allowed them to do supernatural feats. The uniforms seemed to fit their image perfectly-masculine and polished. I was hooked!

I got home from tour that summer and as my parents met me getting off the buses I stated matter-of-factly, "I'm going to be a Madison Scout!" Of course they had no idea what a Madison Scout was and probably thought that I had ingested some foreign substance during my time away.

Over the next several years the highlight of every summer for me was seeing the Madison Scouts perform live. I remember seeing the buses pull into the parking lot at the 1980 Key to the Sea show in Toledo, OH as Phantom Regiment started their closer. Madison was the next corps on the field and I was sure they were going to be late stepping off. The efficiency of how they got off the buses assembled into line and entered the stadium made their image that much more awesome to me.

By then my family, friends and everyone else that would listen were well-versed in the Madison Scouts and my passion for this group. My brother ended up marching in the Scouts in 1983. Seeing him in the Madison Scouts was amazing and further fueled my desire to be a part of this wonderful brotherhood. I cried the first time I watched him perform in the Scouts.

After graduating from high school I decided to put college on hold and try out for the Madison Scouts (my parents saw this coming so they were not shocked). Amazingly I was accepted into their hornline and marched the last three years of my 11 year drum corps career with my dream corps.

I remember standing in the gym at East High School in Madison for my first Scouts' rehearsal. Drum major Craig Mason came over and introduced himself to me. I was so in awe I could hardly muster a response as I shook his hand!

I absolutely will never forget the first time instructor Todd Ryan called the corps to attention at my first rehearsal. Listening to the glorious sound of all those horns snap together like a well oiled machine was music to my ears. I had made it-I was a Madison Scout!!! The dreams of a wide-eyed 11 year old boy were coming to fruition. My first year in the Scouts proved to be everything I had hoped it would be and much, much more. It was 1985 and I got to play Madison classics like Ballet in Brass and Rhapsody in Blue! I spent the next three years in the Scouts. It was truly a dream come true and proved to be everything I had ever hoped it was.

After aging out I was fortunate enough to spend the next 14 years continuing my involvement with the corps. All in all I spent 24 years in the activity and loved every minute of it. Looking back I cannot imagine growing up without drum corps in my life. When I performed my last show in 1987 I was flushed with happy emotions as well as sad feelings as I knew my life was complete and would never be the same as that moment.

Thank you Madison Scouts for giving an average kid a chance to be a superstar! I owe you my life and will never forget you!

(sorry this is so long and rambling)

Yeap. Rice Bowl if I recall. I have a judges tape from that night on my FB page.

Well, Reitz Bowl. Homonym.

Yeap. Rice Bowl if I recall. I have a judges tape from that night on my FB page.

LOL, Rice Bowl! Are you also TrainWreck on Facebook? I'd like to hear that tape!

Well, Reitz Bowl. Homonym.

Yes, it was indeed Reitz Bowl. Great sound in that stadium! Wish they still had a DCI show there.

LOL, Rice Bowl! Are you also TrainWreck on Facebook? I'd like to hear that tape!

Nope.

1982 DCI Midwest at Whitewater

1 hr before start of show massive thunder/lightning/rain for 20 min or so

everyone crowded under stands

As sky cleared and sun started to set, 27s horns were rehearsing 'Danny Boy' in the distance.

A truly magic moment.

We missed that.

My family were spending timewaiting in line at a stupid fast-food place. With everyone else, it seemed. We got back to Warhawk in plenty of time, but missed the deluge. As we were waiting to get in, Suncoast's basses were warming up right near the gate.

We missed that.

My family were spending timewaiting in line at a stupid fast-food place. With everyone else, it seemed. We got back to Warhawk in plenty of time, but missed the deluge. As we were waiting to get in, Suncoast's basses were warming up right near the gate.

Well, everyone else but the gaggle under stands, crowded into restrooms, etc. :tongue:

Finals were well attended - we were side 1 25 yard line, ten rows up - not a spare seat to be found.

• 4 months later...

I will NEVER forget the first time I saw the Madison Scouts. It was 1978 at the Horicon Wisconsin "Marsh Days". I was in a smaller corps and, of course we had to do the parade during the day before the show. I was very young and had not seen many of the big corps yet. Our corps had warmed up and for some reason (the ever-present "hurry up and wait" of every parade!) we had some time to chill before we were starting the parade.

For some reason I decided it would be a good idea to wonder off, again, I was very young. I remember walking through the park and watching all of the preparations taking place for the parade. All of sudden, before I knew what was happening I was standing in front of a most magestic sight. It was the Madison Scouts hornline warming up in a semi-circle. Of course I didn't know anything about them at that point, but something captured my attention and I was completely captivated. The instructor gave the horns some time to warm up on their own and I remember watching some of the sopranos playing arpegios. They were gods, they must be! I had never heard a hornline play with such expertise and excitement.

I'm not sure how long I was there in my trance, but my brother came to find me and let me know that my corps was already starting the parade. He had been looking for me for some time. I remember during the parade reminiscing about what I had just experienced, truly amazing!

That night at the Horicon show my corps was on early and we were given time to watch the other corps perform. I found a space on the grass at the front of the field and anxiously awaited the group that I had seen earlier in the day at the park. I knew as soon as they entered the stadium I was in for a life-changing experience. They entered the gate like they owned the world! The poise and confidence they had was like nothing I had seen before.

Honestly I don't remember much from the Scouts' performance that night. I was completely in another world, experiencing something that I never dreamed was possible. They performed like they were possessed by some amazing deities that allowed them to do supernatural feats. The uniforms seemed to fit their image perfectly-masculine and polished. I was hooked!

I got home from tour that summer and as my parents met me getting off the buses I stated matter-of-factly, "I'm going to be a Madison Scout!" Of course they had no idea what a Madison Scout was and probably thought that I had ingested some foreign substance during my time away.

Over the next several years the highlight of every summer for me was seeing the Madison Scouts perform live. I remember seeing the buses pull into the parking lot at the 1980 Key to the Sea show in Toledo, OH as Phantom Regiment started their closer. Madison was the next corps on the field and I was sure they were going to be late stepping off. The efficiency of how they got off the buses assembled into line and entered the stadium made their image that much more awesome to me.

By then my family, friends and everyone else that would listen were well-versed in the Madison Scouts and my passion for this group. My brother ended up marching in the Scouts in 1983. Seeing him in the Madison Scouts was amazing and further fueled my desire to be a part of this wonderful brotherhood. I cried the first time I watched him perform in the Scouts.

After graduating from high school I decided to put college on hold and try out for the Madison Scouts (my parents saw this coming so they were not shocked). Amazingly I was accepted into their hornline and marched the last three years of my 11 year drum corps career with my dream corps.

I remember standing in the gym at East High School in Madison for my first Scouts' rehearsal. Drum major Craig Mason came over and introduced himself to me. I was so in awe I could hardly muster a response as I shook his hand!

I absolutely will never forget the first time instructor Todd Ryan called the corps to attention at my first rehearsal. Listening to the glorious sound of all those horns snap together like a well oiled machine was music to my ears. I had made it-I was a Madison Scout!!! The dreams of a wide-eyed 11 year old boy were coming to fruition. My first year in the Scouts proved to be everything I had hoped it would be and much, much more. It was 1985 and I got to play Madison classics like Ballet in Brass and Rhapsody in Blue! I spent the next three years in the Scouts. It was truly a dream come true and proved to be everything I had ever hoped it was.

After aging out I was fortunate enough to spend the next 14 years continuing my involvement with the corps. All in all I spent 24 years in the activity and loved every minute of it. Looking back I cannot imagine growing up without drum corps in my life. When I performed my last show in 1987 I was flushed with happy emotions as well as sad feelings as I knew my life was complete and would never be the same as that moment.

Thank you Madison Scouts for giving an average kid a chance to be a superstar! I owe you my life and will never forget you!

(sorry this is so long and rambling)

Wow, this is quite the read. You go boy! Was pretty fun wasnt it.

Edited by thirdcoast

I have a new favorite drum corps moment. I have NEVER cried during a drum corps performance until Saturday 12/11/2010 when I and about 70 of my dearest friends played and then sang Ave Maria for our fallen friend Rich Skare. It was certainly not something I want to do often but it had more meaning than any performance of my life to date. :sad:

Edited by Big Bad Bari
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have a new favorite drum corps moment. I have NEVER cried during a drum corps performance until Saturday 12/11/2010 when I and about 70 of my dearest friends played and then sang Ave Maria for our fallen friend Rich Skare. It was certainly not something I want to do often but it had more meaning than any performance of my life to date. :sad:

Nice!