All time favorite "Drum Corps Moment".

Too many memories and feelings to pick out any one:

Depending on my mood:

1) Something that the audience enjoyed (audience benefits)

2) Something when we got a defunct corps back on the field (DC activity benefits)

3) Something recently when I realized I could still do corps (OK, I benefited :ph34r: )

So far, I'd say the look on my wifes face when I said "There's this thing called the PA Drum Corps Hall of Fame... guess who's getting inducted next time".

Edited by JimF-LowBari

• 2 weeks later...

1969 World Open

Des Plaines: Coming off the line with sirens screaming

Anaheim Kingsmen: First look at what would become an outrageous drum line (see '72 DCI champs)

BAC: pure ######

And finally... Troopers: the tightest show ever performed in that era (IMHO). A crowd response that completely drowned out the Corps' exit and reentry.

Although I grew up a drumcorps brat and undoubtedly had been to shows before this... that was the first show that I can remember ever attending. A gorgeous day, the best corps in the country, the Manning Bowl. My old man saying before each corps entered the field " Wait until you get a load of these guys". I don't know if any show could ever recreate the magic that was in the air that day. (Honorable mention 1977 DCI Finals)

On the Senior side: Fresh Air Fanfare (1973 I think) Skyliners semi chaotic Traffic Jam culminating in the rip your face off Company Front, Les Diplomates OTL and the Hurcs' "Impossible Dream" fantasia.

Regards

• Like 1

Marching in my hometown (Canton, Illinois) as a member of the Cavaliers. Probably my worst performance, but I was still very proud to be part of that great organization!

DE

• 1 month later...
Immediately after our performance at Whitewater Finals, 1983.

Care to elaborate, Tom.

That is if it is appropriate for a G audience.

82 Blue Devils was definitely a special year. I've always referred to it as the Dream Year. It seemed we could do no wrong.

We also had the best instructional staff, and one easterner in particular who knew how to work our egos. I can't imagine what would've happened had we lost a show that year. Our egos wouldn't have been able to take it, particularly after Whitewater. At that point, from what I recall, O.P. pretty much told us we were the DCI Champions, everybody knew it, and the rest of the season was the victory lap.

I've said it before. The moment the 1982 Blue Devils became great was the moment 2nd place was announced at DCI in 1981. The corps set the goal early that the next year would be the best corps to date for the Blue Devils and we wanted to compete with the best in history. The loss in 81 was tough for us and we wanted to make sure there was no doubt in 82. We also put the stake in the ground around January 82 that we were going undefeated. Not only undefeated, we wanted to win every show by points, not tenths and each time we faced a competitor, we wanted a larger spread after each competition. We were pretty cut-throat on the competition and whatever the outcome of a show, we had to be better the next show. Winning alone wasn't sufficient, constant improvement was.

One of the things I enjoyed throughout the 82 season was watching Garfield, especially Concerto in F. That to me was the coolest sound out there, especially with that whacked out drill that nobody could figure out. Prelude of things to come. 82 Garfield was probably the most listened to corps on my DCI records.

Enjoyed 82 Devils and Garfield very much. Thanks for sharing these behind the scenes insights.

I still very much miss my 5-star BD shirt I purchased via mailing requests to Faye (sorry forget his wife's name and their last name).

Tom Smith starting the show up the ramp in the tunnel, and nailing the spot in Jeremiah.

Wow, I remember that well... my friend and I marched VK (he was the Shark/Asst. DM) and we were very late returning for retreat.

We came up that very tunnel where he was and (after many beers) we were lost as to what was going on.

We could not go around a Cadet to get to retreat... wait why is a Cadet in this ramp of the tunnel?

Care to elaborate, Tom.

That is if it is appropriate for a G audience.

Immediately after. You have a sick, filthy mind. Do you have pictures?

Anyway, I've stated it before. The roar we got at Whitewater that year was compounded by our corps manager standing up, putting out his cigarette, and simply gesturing towards the crowd which was going nuts. Since I was a pithead I saw him clearly, but I don't know how many others did. I'll never forget that moment.

Most of these are selfish, but what the hell...it's an internet forum, right?

1. The first time I marched through the tunnel at Whitewater, followed immediately by hearing Crocker (aka The Voice) announce us as being "On the starting line..."

2. The first time some unknown girl walked up to me and offered to trade me her panties for my shako.

3. The first time we won DCI

4. The first time I tried marching a parade after spending all night trying to keep up with the Skyliners and a few cases of beer

5. The first time I saw Garfield in '83....remains the best g*ddamned drum corps show I have ever seen. Many since have been far superior, but THAT was the year drum corps evolved for me. My dad marched in the 60's, and himself insisted until the day he died that Zingali took it to the next level.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got 3. soon to be 4.

in no order.

1. marching finals with the Cavaliers in 1981

2. Winning DCI DivII with Esperanza as Vis. Caption Head/Designer 2003

3. Watching Baby Girl in Finals with SCV 2009

soon to be...

Watching Baby Girl age out with SCV as Guard captain 2010.