All time favorite "Drum Corps Moment".

As a spectator, my favorite moment is, without a doubt, seeing -- and hearing -- Blue Devils at the 1982 "Drums on the Ohio" contest in Evansville, Indiana.

Yeap. Rice Bowl if I recall. I have a judges tape from that night on my FB page.

2. In 1984 on tour with the Marauders in Sacramento... We got to spend an hour in the horn arc with the Freelancers practicing. We intermingled the two hornlines in one big arc. I was a lead bari standing next to and playing with the lead baris of the Freelancers. THE FREELANCERS. That was unbelievable to me. They were god-like. I had known since June of 1981 that I wanted to march SCV some day but as of the summer of 1984 that was still just a dream. Standing with the Freelancers made me feel like I had an idea what it would be like to stand in the arc of a truly outstanding drum corps.

WOW!

I remember that, you were probably standing next to me! I played lead Bari in Freelancers in '84 (my age-out year). We always had a soft spot for the smaller western corps (Mauraders, Argonauts etc.) because we felt we (as a corps) had been there. We didn't feel so god-like getting regularly kicked around by BD and SCV first tour every year, but I'm glad to hear someone was looking up to us!

WOW!

I remember that, you were probably standing next to me! I played lead Bari in Freelancers in '84 (my age-out year). We always had a soft spot for the smaller western corps (Mauraders, Argonauts etc.) because we felt we (as a corps) had been there. We didn't feel so god-like getting regularly kicked around by BD and SCV first tour every year, but I'm glad to hear someone was looking up to us!

That was a lot of fun. One of the Zimny's (John?) spent a lot of time talking and working with us. I was probably just a tad under 6 ft. and whoever I was next to was quite a bit taller. I think I remember a tall bonde guy, but it has been 26 years!

That was a lot of fun. One of the Zimny's (John?) spent a lot of time talking and working with us. I was probably just a tad under 6 ft. and whoever I was next to was quite a bit taller. I think I remember a tall bonde guy, but it has been 26 years!

Look for me on that video site. I played the baritone solo in the closer. We were all pretty tall back in those days!

1970 Racine The night Santa Clara became the Vanguard

1971 playing “You’ll Never Walk Alone” with Madison at their home show.

1971 winning the VFW SCV’s first championship

1973 SCV’s first DCI title

I rember when you guys played with Madison. You lined up everyother horn. What was cool was that both Madison and SCV had the same colored and same material uniform pants. The only difference was our tops and hats. It looked realy sharp.

I'll take issue with '71 being our "first" championship though. It may not have had the "prestige" of VFW and the presence of most Drum Corps, but we DID win the "American Legion National Championship" in '70 and that for me will ALWAYS be our FIRST Championship IMHO.

I still have the Commemorative Medal and the statue that says "National Champions". I'll try to get a picture of the statue up.

AmericanLegionMedal.jpg

I rember when you guys played with Madison. You lined up everyother horn. What was cool was that both Madison and SCV had the same colored and same material uniform pants. The only difference was our tops and hats. It looked realy sharp.

I'll take issue with '71 being our "first" championship though. It may not have had the "prestige" of VFW and the presence of most Drum Corps, but we DID win the "American Legion National Championship" in '70 and that for me will ALWAYS be our FIRST Championship IMHO.

I still have the Commemorative Medal and the statue that says "National Champions". I'll try to get a picture of the statue up.

AmericanLegionMedal.jpg

Maggie,

Certainly the American Legion title was our first major championship, but no one started the season with the goal of winning the AL title. In those days the holder of the VFW title was considered the national champion. That crown belongs to the Troopers. It’s too bad we couldn’t afford to go to Miami to fight for the VFW title. I think we would have given them a run for their money!

I also still have the trophy and the pin. Do you remember who gave us the trophies? The Stockton Commodores!

Maggie,

The pic of your grandfather in your sig; what corps and year was that, do you know? The uniform looks very similar to my father's corps in the 50's -- St. Vincent's Cadets from Bayonne...

Greg

Maggie,

The pic of your grandfather in your sig; what corps and year was that, do you know? The uniform looks very similar to my father's corps in the 50's -- St. Vincent's Cadets from Bayonne...

Greg

It was The Joplin (MO) American Legion Corps '37-8. I have the whole picture but need to get the second half copied and stick them together. This was a Senior Corps. My Grandfather was a "Dough Boy" during WWI and I suspect most of the members were also. My Mom was in her High School Drum Corps in Joplin the same time Grandpa was in his. Her picture is the same year.

"Half" of Grandpas Drum Corps

MomDC38005.jpg

I put that fire out right away. Should have been the most nerve-wracking moment of my life, but I was SO angry that I just went to our rival (at that time, we've since buried the hatchet) and spoke my mind. It actually worked. LOL I was the only one in uniform, because it was a drum major retreat that night. Their DM was not there when the confrontation took place.

Of course...I WAS happy that Pugsley decided to accompany me on my trek into the ranks of our rivals, though! :unsure:

HAHAHAHA Jimmy.....your lucky it was Pugsley and not me that went into those ranks that night :) just saying lolol