All time favorite "Drum Corps Moment".

1974 Ithaca NY DCI Championships! I don't think I saw a corp that weekend that I didn't like. They were all on. (in my opinion) I realize this wasn't A moment,,but,,it was many moments and I didn't want to narrow it down

Edited by BariBrian

• 3 weeks later...

As a spectator, my best memory was the first drum corps show I ever saw, the Odyssey Classic in Cerritos, CA 1980. I was in a youth band at the time and our assistant director took a bunch of us, I think to show us what we should shoot for. I thought our band was the best, but boy did I get humbled. I was blown away by some of the early corps but was told, you ain't seen nothin'. By the time Santa Clara hit the field my jaw was on the floor, and Concord... OMG. After that I made excuses for why our band wasn't that good, but by the next year's show I realized there was no way we could ever get to anything approaching that level.

As a performer, again it's the Odyssey Classic, 1982. Since so much of our corps then came from southern California, it was a second home show for us. We got standing O after standing O (even for the boring "Recuerdos") and as we marched off we were so, so hyped. When Carl said "relax" we screamed and shouted and I knew for sure that I was part of something truly excellent.

The bus meets at CSUN??

I heard that Freelancers would send a bus down.

Yes, that's exactly what they'd do. We'd all meet in lovely Fresno in a not at all gang-ridden part of town for camps every month starting in November. In March/April they'd send someone down to run minicamps as we ramped up for the season.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, that's exactly what they'd do. We'd all meet in lovely Fresno in a not at all gang-ridden part of town for camps every month starting in November.

Hey, not all of Fresno is gang-ridden.... Just stay away from areas in the south-east of Fresno. We were featured on Gangland, but that was really only a few blocks of Fresno, far away from where most people live, or ever travel to.... :tongue:

Yes, that's exactly what they'd do. We'd all meet in lovely Fresno in a not at all gang-ridden part of town for camps every month starting in November. In March/April they'd send someone down to run minicamps as we ramped up for the season.

Didn't you guys practice at Roosevelt HS in Fresno?

Didn't you guys practice at Roosevelt HS in Fresno?

well, if they were practicing at Roosevelt, then there goes the theory of them not being in a gang-ridden part of the city... :doh:

Edited by RetiredJedi

well, if they were practicing at Roosevelt, then there goes the theory of them not being in a gang-ridden part of the city... :doh:

I know. That's why I was asking.