All time favorite "Drum Corps Moment".

There are three that come to my mind:

1) 1986 Allentown finals. It had rained all day, so finals was determined by the pre-lim scores. We did a stand still instead of the show. The air was clear and electric, perfect for brass instruments. We lit that crowd up and they were screaming for an encore. It was unbelievable.

2) As a rookie in 82 coming around in the gate turns at the end of the show and seeing the entire stadium in Montreal on their feet

3) Seeing BD for the first time in my life at Precision West 1979. After DCI that year I bought that album ( which also had the Bridgeman on it) and I played it until it would not play any more.

This night would be the opposite for me. I stood on the front sideline for that performance with two other members. After Devs finished the opener, we turned to each other with jaws dropped and mouths open, knowing that we were NOT going to beat that show this year. I was blown away by that incredible hornline. Man what a sound. What a humbling feeling to know that all the work you put in for the last year will not be enough.

Kevin

Kevin

Thanks for sharing that. I have always said I would put the 82 corps against any other corps in history, they were a special group of performers through and through from top to bottom. I have never seen a corps so talented and who became so focused on winning by being so good. It was always one of the goals of every show to make the competitors feel exactly as you did that night, and of course, Manning Bowl was the perfect venue for that corps. If it helps, they worked very hard from day one in January, and even after the January camp, when I thought, this was going to be a special corps, they kept surprising me, challenging the staff to make them better.

Oh My God!!! John O Scott O Pedi Teret Osano!

John How are you? I haven't seen you since 1983! I hope you are doing well... PM me and we will catch up!

Tony

One of the "boys of 82."

:smile: Look for my PM

Nothing special while you were a Drum Major?

Oh, that's easy.

Anytime I was able to shut you up from giving me a load of crap and lip. If I did that, I figured I had a good day and earned my keep. :smile:

Still collating - I'll get back you.

Puppet

I will look at this from two seperate angles.

1st: as a perfromer.

Without hesitation, Hershey, Pa. 1986, first show of the season. Going up against two year undefeated Hawthorne Cabs and beating them, thus ending their streak.

OK, here's a close second, taking a whiz next to President Gerald Ford, not many can claim to share a bathroom with a president. Las Vegas, early 80's. Major medical convention. Keynote speaker, former Presidnt of the United States, Gerald Ford. USMC D&B on hand to play him on and off stage. Backstage waiting while dinner was served. Went over to use the "head", military for little boy's room. Standing at a urinal when in walks Ford. He strolls over to the urinal next to me and, well, no need to explain any further.

This angle is way harder,

FAN:

Top 3,

1980 DCI finals, Birmingham, Spirit of Atlanta, prelims(and finals), Georgia, WOW! What a sound.

Blue Devils, year?, Ending, "When a man loves a women", the raw emotion was incredible.

early 80's, SCV, App. Spring, 1st yeat with the soft ending. I had the pleasure to hear it at a rehearsal before the summer started at their hall in Sunnyvale? They had not made cuts yet, They formed a circle and the staff invited myself and a few other Marines that I was with into the center. Again, WOW! what a sound. Also that same night, ringing thr doorbell at the rehearsal/bingo hall and having Gail Royer answer. COOL!

1994.... 27th Lancers !

I will never forget

Dave Keck

Hey Rich! - You are right on the money here.....

(BTW - how's Bass Drum 3 been treating you?...saw you guys at Allentown)

Fred

Hey Fred :) whats going on buddy? man i have not seen you in a dogs age...... bass #3 suits me fine and the line is getting better each year... a nice mix of young and old lol

Open house is just around the bend...come on down to St Andrews and catch up a little and maybe errrrrr join us ; )

2009 is going to be a break out year for sure.... start getting the chops back in shape cause dubie will call you on it lololol

talk to you soon Fred

#3 aka Rick Tabor

89-going undefeated most of the season, playing with the KC orchestra, our finals run. winning the final drilldown :) on the lighter side, our batman battle with Madison to see who could get the most batman crap on the field at retreat. ended when Spaz got a dead bat in a ziploc onto the field.

My rookie year in 91 people were still talking about that!!