All time favorite "Drum Corps Moment".

Ask somone to tell you the story of Bridgemen and PR outside the CYO that year...

What happenned?Was there any blood? :tongue:

What happenned?Was there any blood? :tongue:

I can't believe you don't know about that... next time I see you...

came pretty close to blood...

It wasn't a junior moment, but a senior moment. I can say that because of my age! :tongue:

In 1986 when the Bushwackers won DCA, I had the honor of being drum major. The scores are announced and at retreat Mickey Petrone goes to place the first place medal over my head and says to me "Congratulation Bob!". :tongue: On the video you can see my laugh. Fun night to say the least.

I can't believe you don't know about that... next time I see you...

came pretty close to blood...

Before my time.I had heard rumours of animosity between the corps because of what happenned the previous year,but nothing solid. :tongue:

Before my time.I had heard rumours of animosity between the corps because of what happenned the previous year,but nothing solid. :tongue:

Maybe better you don't hear it...it was not pretty...

When weather meets drum corps, creates THE most eventful "DRUM CORPS MOMENTS" for me. These unique moments in time CANNOT BE PLANNED and when they occur it is an amazing confluence of force and energys. Here are just a few.....

The summer of 64,(?) America was still in shock and mourning from president Kennndy's assassination the previous November. The NAVY HYMN permeated JFK's funeral, because he was a Naval officer. The ROCHESTER CRUSADERS, at the 64 DREAM, played the NAVY HYMN and really touched the hearts of the audience that day. At the end of their color presentation, they did a kneel and just then, or shortly after, an errant, dark cloud passed over Roosevelt Stadium and there was a flash of lightning, followed by loud thunder, IN WHAT WAS AN ORDINARY, PLEASENT, SUNNY AFTERNOON!

This moment is captured on the FLEETWOOD recording of that day. One can hear the thunder and also hear the crowd react to it! Just AMAZING.

Another astonishing moment was, the CONNECTICUT HURRICANES playing STORMY WEATHER in a torrential down pour at the DREAM, maybe 74, 75? With "Jumpin Joe" Genero conducting, to what was then A CROWD GONE CRAZY. Never will for get that.

Torrington Connecticut, 1985, witnessing the NEW YORK SKYLINERS brave performance in the thunder and lightning after their recent and tragic loss.

There's more, but I've gone on long enough. WHEN WEATHER MEETS DRUM CORPS might make a good thread ? This one is about "DRUM CORPS MOMENTS" though......and those are some of mine. stein

Great choices, Steiny, especially the Crusaders at the Dream. :tongue:

The year was 1965, the first Dream I ever attended, but otherwise your recollection is spot on! Do you recall how the dowpour began as they started their exit? They played "In the Still of the Night," and even though the clouded sky made it look like night at 3 in the afternoon, it was anything but 'still,' what with the thunder and the pouring rain!

Before my time.I had heard rumours of animosity between the corps because of what happenned the previous year,but nothing solid. :worthy:

I put that fire out right away. Should have been the most nerve-wracking moment of my life, but I was SO angry that I just went to our rival (at that time, we've since buried the hatchet) and spoke my mind. It actually worked. LOL I was the only one in uniform, because it was a drum major retreat that night. Their DM was not there when the confrontation took place.

Of course...I WAS happy that Pugsley decided to accompany me on my trek into the ranks of our rivals, though! :tongue:

I put that fire out right away. Should have been the most nerve-wracking moment of my life, but I was SO angry that I just went to our rival (at that time, we've since buried the hatchet) and spoke my mind. It actually worked. LOL I was the only one in uniform, because it was a drum major retreat that night. Their DM was not there when the confrontation took place.

Of course...I WAS happy that Pugsley decided to accompany me on my trek into the ranks of our rivals, though! :tongue:

That moment stands like Kennedy and the Cuban missiles in many peoples' memories. I've often wondered what the rest of that tour would have been like if that night had come out differently.

Edited by rayfallon