Auditions 2009

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. You have to be a very good musician who has a strong grasp of the fundamental aspects of playing. There are too many guys out there who zip through scales and etudes but yet cannot articulate, sustain, or release properly.

That's true too. I've seen and heard brass players who could wail like crazy, but they would jump their attacks or hang their releases. That might work in the jazz world, but in Drum Corps it's generally regarded as an unforgivable sin.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if you're auditioning for a "top 6" corps there are some that are infamous for stringing you (and your money) along

until April or so. By then your "second choice" corps is full and you're home watching American Idol reruns for the summer.

So, do you have to be the absolute best at your instrument to make it into a top corps? Like say for instance a trumpet, would you have to be able to scream no matter what and play every single scale off the top of your head super fast??

This is a very common concern. I recall after watching 1978 Finals on PBS, age 14, thinking "OMG, everyone's 30 yrs old, 6'2", and UNBELIEVABLY TALENTED. I don't have a shot." Mind you, even at 14, I was very confident in my playing (trombone).

My band director talked me out of trying out, because "They play the same music all summer, sleep on gym floors, ride the bus, and practice in the sun 12 hrs/day." What he forgot to mention: THAT'S WHAT MAKES IT SO AWESOME! (Lucky for me, fate intervened at age 20, and I marched SCV.)

My point is: All you need is good, basic, fundamental approach to your playing. If you can make a good sound, across any 2 octaves of your horn, you'll have a spot. The rest will come. Bad articulation is an automatic cut, Stopping the air with your tongue is another. (Ya can't make a good sound w/o good articulation/release, IMO.) If your technique is not quite there, then you'll be at a slight disadvantage to the members who have it. We're only talkin' fast fingers on normal scales here (Bb/F/Eb Major)...something any 16 yr old should be able to do anyway. After that, it's all about your attitude, work ethic and attendance. Sometimes, a member is "so special" on the attitude front (leadership intangibles), that they'll make it even if more work might be required to get the playing up to snuff. The staff knows the member will figure it out by summertime.

How many real screamers do you think are in the Top 12? Maybe about 10 players total, across all 12 corps, seriously. (Screamer = G above High C, at all times, all contexts, not just loud and out of tune). I don't consider having chops up to High C anything special. Everyone in the hornline should be able to do that (High Bb for bari/euph/contra). Lead players have endurance at those ranges...that's what separates them out. If your sound is solid, you'll get a spot in 2nd or 3rd voice, which--TRUST ME ON THIS--IS WAY MORE IMPORTANT ANYWAY!

Every hornline NEEDS people who understand the importance of 2nd, 3rd and bass voices, and relish the responsiblity. For sure, there are corps in certain years that "impress" some of the masses with their screamers. That's fine (in small doses, IMO). Most of the time, the masses are impressed with "overall sound" of a hornline. That can only happen if the 2nd, 3rd and bass voices are NAILS.

Phantom and BD have totally different sounds. They just choose different ways to set the slides on the equalizer. One has to agree that each hornline's sound is "complete" and "special." I'm sure their instructors will tell you the key is in the inner/lower voices.

Pick your corps, and GO FOR IT!

How many real screamers do you think are in the Top 12? Maybe about 10 players total, across all 12 corps, seriously. (Screamer = G above High C, at all times, all contexts, not just loud and out of tune). I don't consider having chops up to High C anything special. Everyone in the hornline should be able to do that (High Bb for bari/euph/contra). Lead players have endurance at those ranges...that's what separates them out. If your sound is solid, you'll get a spot in 2nd or 3rd voice, which--TRUST ME ON THIS--IS WAY MORE IMPORTANT ANYWAY!

Thanks for a great post. By having chops up to high C (on trumpet at least) you mean up to 2765096539_f84d43f62e_o.png and not to 2765096489_ef6facf1cf_o.png, right? The first is well within my abilities, the second...not quite there yet. I've never even heard a double C in drum corps as Scott Dean had already aged out by the time I saw my first Blue Devils show.

Thanks for a great post. By having chops up to high C (on trumpet at least) you mean up to [2nd line C, above staff] and not to [5th line C, above staff], right?
Yes, that 5th Line C is "double C" ... and I bet only 1 or 2 guys in all top 12 have that available at all times, all contexts. (Of course I hear players squeak it during their own time. I don't have the heart to tell them that it's totally useless in a musical context)

Yes. Don't forget, you have to be able to triple tongue at 250.

I order to get back on top BD is changing their requirement to 280 :blink: