Quick ECJ Question

Maybe the focus should be on finding a funding source that doesn't depend on gambling revenue.

...and doesn't slowly poison your volunteers...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thank you bro

btw i like the scouts support in your sig. awsome!

No problem man, I tell it like it is. I miss the old ECJ crew!

i have some inquizitive info..

many people relied on bingo to get them by financialy... bingo went down because of no smoking in PUBLIC** facilities. what about PRIVATE* establishments?? ive come across many private clubs and establishments that allow smoking, and could possibly harbor bingo games. just to make clear ive come across quite a few, but im sure its up to the owner whether to allow smoking or not.

now could a drum corps open up their own "private establishment" whether it means they have the patrons pay a fee of .01 or $1 for a membership fee?? im not sure if anyone has thought about this, or looked into what it would take to be associated with such a establishment (vfw, elks, eagles, moose and various other clubs)

wouldnt it be nice to bipass the no smoking ban and give drum corps a little boost. then again this could all be old news and im just a little late on the uptake.

This option was explored in the spring of 2004 before the smoking ban officially kicked in and was enforced. However, as the management team was looking into that option, the Massachusetts State Lottery sent out a letter to all bingo operators in the state that if you tried to turn your bingo into a private club, The Lottery would revoke your license to operate bingo. In addition, we organized meetings with the press, the local state representatives and other bingo operators as to what could be done to continue the works done by the various non-profits. Many of the invited bingo operators did not even show up. Within a year, the state had lost over half of the licensed bingos in the state.

At this point, Bingo is a losing proposition in Massacusets.

This option was explored in the spring of 2004 before the smoking ban officially kicked in and was enforced. However, as the management team was looking into that option, the Massachusetts State Lottery sent out a letter to all bingo operators in the state that if you tried to turn your bingo into a private club, The Lottery would revoke your license to operate bingo. In addition, we organized meetings with the press, the local state representatives and other bingo operators as to what could be done to continue the works done by the various non-profits. Many of the invited bingo operators did not even show up. Within a year, the state had lost over half of the licensed bingos in the state.

At this point, Bingo is a losing proposition in Massacusets.

So what kind of things does Mass Allow Non Profits to do to make Operating Money? Boy what a shame. I know in New York State that some places had Seperate rooms for smokers and Non smokers. (We the members devided out the same way to work the Bingo.) Wonder if they can still do that in NY state even.)

Good luck ECJ. Sure hope to see you back. Hope the DCA idea works out!!!

Edited by OldStyleCorps

so at this point in order to run a bingo (that wont poison workers) ..you pretty much have to buy or rent a party tent or build your own outdoor covering to harbor enough players in an out door environment (mostly for good weather use??)

we could of course come up with any silly solutions, but at this point no solution is too silly

I am not familiar with the MA laws, but the bottom line is that you should plan - if you choose to start up bingo - to be non smoking... can it work... YES... is it easy? NO

I believe the close proximity to multi billion dollar Indian bingo and gaming operations (and the mulit million dollar lobbies they support - ask Blue Devils) is a much bigger problem than smoking laws.

As for ECJ, Tom is a great guy... he will do the right thing at the right time - whatever that might be...

I am not familiar with the MA laws, but the bottom line is that you should plan - if you choose to start up bingo - to be non smoking... can it work... YES... is it easy? NO

I believe the close proximity to multi billion dollar Indian bingo and gaming operations (and the mulit million dollar lobbies they support - ask Blue Devils) is a much bigger problem than smoking laws.

As for ECJ, Tom is a great guy... he will do the right thing at the right time - whatever that might be...

I know that the corps is lookimg at the VFW Hall on Sunday nights less than a block away from a Catholic H.S. that runs the biggest bingo in the state on Sunday afternoons. When the school bingo gets out the ECJ bingo will be opening its doors. I heard there may be a snag with one of the local city conselors for that area. Hopefully the rest of the council will pass it anyweay.