Cadet Shows and Their Final Pushes

Yeah, I was at semis and finals this year - first time ever - and saw all the shows for the first time this year. While I felt the first part of the show felt more than a bit disjointed (mostly because of the living room scene stealing way too much attention from the corps proper), the last minute or so kicked my arse hardcore - some of the most insane drill I've ever seen, period, regardless of corps. I was reminded in several ways of 2001's closer, which has been my favorite Cadets drill of all time.

I have a feeling once I get the DVDs and can get a bigger-picture perspective, I may have some new favorite Cadets closing drill - this year's stuff was madness at its best. :laughing:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got a better look at the 2008 ending and that is what I'm freakin talking about.

Where did you see it? I haven't been able to check it out yet.

I'm glad to see Cadets 2008 getting some love. I found the whoe show impressive, but that ending especially knocked me out of my seat. It's on the list of moments from the night at finals that I wish I could get to experience live just one more time.

I'm glad to see Cadets 2008 getting some love. I found the whoe show impressive, but that ending especially knocked me out of my seat. It's on the list of moments from the night at finals that I wish I could get to experience live just one more time.

I agree. I saw them at West Chester when they still had thd 'extra' ending with Sarah and the little girl, and in my comments here on DCP I said that the crowd was rorarig to it's feet after the non-ending-ending and then the Sarah "tag" just sucked the energy from the audience. While I liked the idea of the little girl and Sarah, I thought that they should end with that amazing full-corps ending, and if they could, do the dramatic part a little earlier. They took it out...which gave them the same result, so it's all good. An amazing ending.

I agree. If you are looking for a strong, powerful ending, Cadets often provide it. Yes. I am aware that in the last week of tour, they cut their original ending that included narration and a hug. But I was soooo grateful that the closer at Championships was Cadets-like. For me, their drill was much, much more exciting than Crown's. I am happy for Crown. They have a great horn line sound. I would rank it second or third. Their guard sure knows how to handle weapons and imo, the best guard in 2008 as far as technique goes. However, to me, their show (Crown's) was for the most part rather boring. I honestly didn't see them above The Cadets. Watch The Cadets' show and Crown's show back to back. Please enlighten me as to how I am to be so impressed with Crown's show to rank them fourth.

Again, this is not meant in any kind of mean spirited way. I know people from Crown and they are some of the very nicest people I've ever met in drum corps. But this year, I guess I missed whatever it was I was supposed to see in their show because they did little for me in the way of being entertaining. For me, music selection was very uninspiring and their drill, though pretty darn clean admittedly, was nothing special or creatively new as far as I could see.

Edited by TrumpetCall

I agree. If you are looking for a strong, powerful ending, Cadets often provide it. Yes. I am aware that in the last week of tour, they cut their original ending that included narration and a hug. But I was soooo grateful that the closer at Championships was Cadets-like. For me, their drill was much, much more exciting than Crown's. I am happy for Crown. They have a great horn line sound. I would rank it second or third. Their guard sure knows how to handle weapons and imo, the best guard in 2008 as far as technique goes. However, to me, their show (Crown's) was for the most part rather boring. I honestly didn't see them above The Cadets. Watch The Cadets' show and Crown's show back to back. Please enlighten me as to how I am to be so impressed with Crown's show to rank them fourth.

Again, this is not meant in any kind of mean spirited way. I know people from Crown and they are some of the very nicest people I've ever met in drum corps. But this year, I guess I missed whatever it was I was supposed to see in their show because they did little for me in the way of being entertaining. For me, music selection was very uninspiring and their drill, though pretty darn clean admittedly, was nothing special or creatively new as far as I could see.

Well said, I could not agree more!

However, to me, their show (Crown's) was for the most part rather boring. I honestly didn't see them above The Cadets. Watch The Cadets' show and Crown's show back to back. Please enlighten me as to how I am to be so impressed with Crown's show to rank them fourth.

Of the 33 judges who saw the 2 corps in Bloomington, 29 of them had Crown on top. You identified the reasons correctly - Crown beat the Cadets (often by a couple of placements) in brass, percussion, music effect and music ensemble every night. Visually, the two corps were scored much closer and the Cadets were better in the eyes of some of those judges - 1 guard, 1 visual ensemble, and 2 visual effect judges had them on top.

FWIW, I didn't find Crown boring at all, but I'd agree that their visual program wasn't as exciting as the Cadets'. The end of the Cadets show was definitely some of the best drill of the year.