Which mellophone would you recommend?

Hrothgar15

Jupiter Quantum Marching Mellophone

About the only bad thing I've heard about the Jupiter horns is that the Euph is a much better horn than the Bari. Even Baritone players who tried both said they'd rather buy/play the Euph than the Bari. I really should get down there and try them out. Austin is their US base of operations after all.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TBIRDS are always on the look-out for Kanstul "G"'s So if yours is collecting dust......?

Anyway......would sure like to hear this years show on THOSE horns. Just sayin....

Oh!!! I love my Kanstal and I do use it from time to time with The Latin Express when the F horns for the field corps are in use. I often asked myself what this seasons show would have sounded like on G's but, what I know for sure is the intonation of the Yamaha's are far superior to any G horn I have played on or G line of have listen to.

As much as I enjoyed my years on the G horns for the sheer power, I do appreciate playing on a true mid range horn. The mellophone line finally fills in those blanks in the ensemble that a G horn never could!

Edited by JKatzmellophone

This is the horn that the corps I'm auditioning for uses:

Jupiter Quantum Marching Mellophone

2783809259_9fcf35f1f4_o.png

FEATURES:

• F Marching Mellophone

• .460" bore

• 10.7" bell

• Silver-Plated body

• Stainless steel pistons

• Horn/Mellophone hybrid mouthpiece

• Wood-frame case

• Weighs 3.6 lbs

5050L

• Above 5050S with lacquered brass finish

It looks very much like the Yamaha

Chris, is that the mandatory audition costume???

New uniforms for Renegades!

About the only bad thing I've heard about the Jupiter horns is that the Euph is a much better horn than the Bari. Even Baritone players who tried both said they'd rather buy/play the Euph than the Bari. I really should get down there and try them out. Austin is their US base of operations after all.

I play tested both the Jupiter bari and euph last week. I thought they made a good pair.

The bari is made for the mid to upper range, so some might complain that the lower range is comprimised. I'd say the lower range is not what the horn is made for. That's why you have euphs in your line. I think (my cause and effect theory is) that the slightly smaller bore of the bari (as compared to most other baris) makes for better response, and it really seemed easy to play to me. Intonation comprimises seemed well considered. The thumb trigger on the first valve is a very nice addition - as well as a useful 3rd valve slide. I think I would have this instrument dialed in once I was a bit more familiar with it. It had the fit and feel of a professional level instrument.

The euph was great. Well balanced, although you still know you are holding a euph, which is something I usually leave to the tough guys (and girls). It also had the trigger and slide on the valves. The amazing thing was how well the horn played (concert) staff C and B in tune without adjusting any slides. Those notes rang out just as well as the Bb, which is a rare thing on a horn without a fourth valve. Again, a person giving a conscientious effort has a good chance of playing with good intonation without a huge struggle.

It would be great to spend an afternoon comparing the Yammi to the King to the Kanstul to the Jupiter. I have not done that, so I cannot contrast brands with authority, but I can state that there is nothing sub-par about these Jupiters. They are a very legitimate choice, and at a competitive price.

Chris,

Have you tried the Jupiter?

-Steve

I have, and did not consider it to be in the same league as the Yamaha.

I have, and did not consider it to be in the same league as the Yamaha.

Wow - kind of shocked how Kanstul horns not getting that much love. Always thought they were better than average. Have not played a Jupiter so cannot compare. Enjoyed the detailed postings so far. Thanks to everyone who took the time to share. :thumbup:

Wow - kind of shocked how Kanstul horns not getting that much love. Always thought they were better than average. Have not played a Jupiter so cannot compare. Enjoyed the detailed postings so far. Thanks to everyone who took the time to share. :sad:

Don't get me wrong - the Kanstul is the best of the "others". Here is my list:

1. Yamaha 204 - ****

2. Kanstul - ***

3. King - ***

4. Yamaha 203 - **1/2

5. Jupiter - **