Which mellophone would you recommend?

Hrothgar15

Thanks so much for the explanation. Now to test your drum corps acumen.

Cadets have 26 of the small bore, reversed lead pipe models. They have 7 of the large bore standard lead pipe models. Why? Do the leads get the special trumpets? I have no idea.

I don't normally like people guessing if they really don't know, but in your case Mr. Ferrera, I like my chances. :laughing:

Sorry, I have no idea.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New Kings don't sell for $395. Check this out....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ME:B:EF:US:1123

The picture should look very familiar.

FWIW, I would pick the King over the Yamaha 203 or earlier. But I really doubt that second photo in the OP is a King.

That is the same piece of carpet in both photos! No King mello here.

When you see "Approved by band directors" on Ebay then RUN away from this Chinese made piece of junk as fast as you can!

Edited by wvu80

"I don't normally like people guessing if they really don't know, but in your case Mr. Ferrera, I like my chances. (wvu80) smile.gif"

Sorry, I have no idea.

You are now officially my hero! :laughing:

The first one appears to be a YMP-201. They fixed a lot of the problems with the later versions, especially the 204.

Yes that is probably a 201 or 202. Notice the bell flare. The newer 204 is vastly improved over this vintage model.

If price is not an object I would try and pick up a horn from one one of the world class corps selling off their current equipment. Usually it is only a season or two old and of the current design. I am pretty fond of my Kanstul 280 and have played the improved 281, but you are not likely to find many of those used, or new for that matter. Currently I am playing a Yama 204 for competition and it is an outstanding horn. They are readily available. Some 203s still around as well which are not bad either. The newer Dynasty mellos are not as bad as some would make them out to be. I found the current King mello to be a bit of a disappointment. Especially considering the price. I haven't tried the current Quantum (Jupiter) mello though I have heard it is a mixed bag. See the Middle Horn Leader for some reviews.

Almost anything made in the last few years will be better then those two horns. Since the adoption of Bb/F horns almost every manufacture has redesigned and improved their F mellos.

That is the same piece of carpet in both photos! No King mello here.

When you see "Approved by band directors" on Ebay then RUN away from this Chinese made piece of junk as fast as you can!

You're quite welcome. Even the best mellophones are beasts, so you can well imagine what a Chinese horn would be. (This comment brought to you by a former K-50 driver who also test drove a Whaley-Royce Imperial - the original Dom Delra model)

Since I was corrected on this previously I thought I might as well go back and correct myself too.

This from Wikipedia :

Brass is any alloy of copper and zinc; the proportions of zinc and copper can be varied to create a range of brasses with varying properties.[1] In comparison, bronze is principally an alloy of copper and tin.[2] Despite this distinction, some types of brasses are called bronzes. Brass is a substitutional alloy. It is used for decoration for its bright gold-like appearance; for applications where low friction is required such as locks, gears, bearings, ammunition, and valves; for plumbing and electrical applications; and extensively in musical instruments such as horns and bells for its acoustic properties.

New Kings don't sell for $395. Check this out....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ME:B:EF:US:1123

The picture should look very familiar.

FWIW, I would pick the King over the Yamaha 203 or earlier. But I really doubt that second photo in the OP is a King.

Yep; gives new meaning to the term "Chinese Junk," and I ain't talkin' about a boat. I may be wrong, but I think Jin Yin is about the only Chinese brand worth even look at currently.

Yep; gives new meaning to the term "Chinese Junk," and I ain't talkin' about a boat. I may be wrong, but I think Jin Yin is about the only Chinese brand worth even look at currently.

Yeah. And even if you happen to get a good horn, it may be the one and only good horn in the year's production.

I was in the market for a flugelhorn at the beginning of the summer. (Have one now, thanks.) There was an outfit selling new "German Engineered" flugels on eBay. So I emailed the seller and asked where the horns are manufactured. At least the guy was honest. Shanghai. The lesson: read the fine print and if you don't see a stencil name you recognize, ask before you take the plunge.

I wonder if the brand "Schill" might be a play on words.