Phantom Regiment guard rumor

Wow can we please get a life?

If anyone on here has a HUGE problem with how this was handled, or how Greg came on here and said let go, then email the board of directors. Their emails are all on the Regiment website. Making a stink on here is dumb and a waste of internet space.

Adam Sage is gone, can we please just accept the fact, move on, hope Adam has success in his future, and hope Regiment gets a great replacement for him (which I'm sure they will).

Congratulations again on your championship Regiment. Well deserved!

GOOD IDEA! Everybody flood the PR Board of Directors with EMAILS!!!! :sad::drool:

haha

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I just went through this whole thread and here is the impression I get from what I am reading. Yes the way the dismisal was handled is a wee bit tacky. Is PR the first or only corps to do something like this? No. but after winning Finals and considering the HUGE fan base they have been building, it is a very high profile move bound to cause chatter.

IMO Adam was a big part of the current revival of PR, 05 and 06 were spectacular. I fell in 07 and 08 the guard element was weaker than it should have been thus dragging down scores in GE and visual. Placing 4th this year in guard was super risky and troubling. I would like to disect this thought but I am not in the mood tonight to write about guard scoring and design. Adam, thank you for all you have done, you brought guys into the PR guard which I think is the single smartest move the corps made since going back to white uniforms on 03. I can't wait to see where you land and see what you do.

Adam Sage is going to Cadets...

Fact, count on it, will be helping them with their 10th Championship in August '09...

Count on it.

Greg Newell....I'm sure is shocked at all the attention he is getting over two freaking words.

Let go.

Nah, not just two words.

The whole thing was handled poorly.

Many people think the guy did great things for PR. Many people think that a significant part of PR's success from 2005 to now is attributable to the guy. For those two reasons (let alone common decency), you handle the situation better than that.

This was posted a day or so ago: http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...howtopic=117211

This is to confirm that Adam Sage was let go as guard caption head of Phantom Regiment.

Greg Newell

Board of Directors

Phantom Regiment

Let go? Is that what you call it when the caption head resigned? Do not be fooled by Mr. Newell's post as he is just hiding behind the computer and trying to cover his own butt as well as the rest of the board's. Its obvious there is more to the story than meet's the eye. PR is doing just fine and then Rick Valenzuela is added to the mix and suddenly Adam wants to leave.....yes leave, not be "let go" as they would like us all to think. Coincidence? I think not. So many big names have left other organizations (i.e. Jeff Fiedler, April Gilligan, Jenifo LeSeth, Mitch Rogers, etc) but they have been treated with RESPECT and given credit for their efforts and next thing you know they are back on the scene and doing the wonderful things for which they are known. If its such a personal matter between PR and Adam, then why is a member of the board (of ALL people) making it publicly known AND giving incorrect information. Its bad enough that PR is losing the best part of their visual design they've ever had (and probably ever will) but right after winning a championship and the manner with which it was done is just unbelievable. While they may have won DCI, Phantom Regiment has definately lost respect for the individual.

This is a 100% guarantee: Had the facts played out the EXACT way everyone here has stated they should have, there would still be a contingent who decried PR as playing bad pool.

So, the DCI hot stove league has started early this year. Keep in mind that there are 2 sides to every story.

No sarcasm, it is cool to be loyal to your corps. We (including myself) tend to be a little off center sometimes when defending our favorite group. Many of those, including the post above, defending Greg's (PR's) handling of this have not given reasons that are really logical, many are centered around arguments like "get over it."

Had the "facts"been presented on the corps web site (of course with the "facts" going to the board and members first), that would have at least been one aspect that was done somewhat professionally.

There are absolutely "two stories to every story." Unfortunately, one side made a poorly worded PUBLIC announcement of which the second party was:

1. probably initially unaware

2. unable to give his side of this "two-sided" story at the same time

3. given a persona of someone that has to be "let go" from jobs, on a public forum...an announcement of which he was probably initially unaware and unable to give his side of this "two sided" story.

NO ONE can defend this action to any level of agreed satisfaction. Drum corps, professional corporations, Fortune 500 company, doesn't matter, you just don't treat people this way. To assume it is OK by simply saying it is just "drum corps" as some have, actually makes us out to be some community that has lowered expectations for how to handle such situations. That also offends me.

Edited by cadetzoid

Okay, your at the bottom:

1. No name on internet forum #1

2. No name on internet forum #2

3. No name on internet forum #3

4. No name on internet forum #4

All professional standards made me laugh. :drool:

He said "let go". Not terrible words. To me, it sounds better than "fired" or "canned" or "kicked out" or "left that chump hanging without yo"

You can always say something better. Every PC word or phrase ever invented has been/will be replaced with another. Could have said it better? Always. Way he said it bad? NO!

I'm sure I am missing your point, but I don't get it. It was handled poorly from a PR standpoint; anyone with any PR knowledge or experience would definitively agree. "Let go" directly states Phantom terminated, released, or whatever word you want to use... Adam Sage. What value does it serve the organization to validate this instead of simply confirming he is no longer with Phantom or, as others have correctly suggested, spin it positively by taking the high road? This has nothing to do with PC... this was a Board Member... a senior official with the organization... to cry foul because he simply used the wrong words or wasn't being PC is bogus. As far as always being able to saying something "better", that's why it should be handled by a PR person, which was my point. They are trained to say things "better." God forbid we hold drum corps organizations to the same professional standards as companies in private industry. What a horrible thought.

Let go? Is that what you call it when the caption head resigned? Do not be fooled by Mr. Newell's post as he is just hiding behind the computer and trying to cover his own butt as well as the rest of the board's. Its obvious there is more to the story than meet's the eye. PR is doing just fine and then Rick Valenzuela is added to the mix and suddenly Adam wants to leave.....yes leave, not be "let go" as they would like us all to think. Coincidence? I think not. So many big names have left other organizations (i.e. Jeff Fiedler, April Gilligan, Jenifo LeSeth, Mitch Rogers, etc) but they have been treated with RESPECT and given credit for their efforts and next thing you know they are back on the scene and doing the wonderful things for which they are known. If its such a personal matter between PR and Adam, then why is a member of the board (of ALL people) making it publicly known AND giving incorrect information. Its bad enough that PR is losing the best part of their visual design they've ever had (and probably ever will) but right after winning a championship and the manner with which it was done is just unbelievable. While they may have won DCI, Phantom Regiment has definately lost respect for the individual.

Actually, the more I've thought about it, the more miffed I've become.

CadetPhan, I have no idea if you're correct or not in your assertion, and really it doesn't matter. I think Greg Newell, whom I don't know at all, has represented Phantom fairly well here on DCP and on RAMD. He's given us information, and he's tried to be an advocate for Phantom and for events involving Phantom. But Mr. Newell has seriously dropped the ball on this one. Phantom Regiment as an organization cannot be okay with Mr. Newell's actions. And, personally, if I were a board member at Phantom Regiment, I'd suggest that Mr. Newell be "let go" or, at a minimum, be muzzled.

I'm going to shoot Rick Valenzuela an email discussing my displeasure - not about Adam Sage no longer being with the corps (if PR wants to go another direction, so be it) - about how the situation has been handled. An unfortunate event that, at least momentarily, has detracted from an otherwise wonderful summer for the corps.