Who is the best corps NEVER to win a DCI TITLE ?

Just looking at it from an unemotional or marketing angle not rooting for one corps or another....I DID NOT PUT THE BLUE DEVILS DOWN IN ANY WAY............just what if the Miami Dolphins (1972 undefeated-considered by many the greatest NFL team of all time) were to win every 3rd year or the Boston Celtics (which won 11/13 times 57-69) had continued winning that way. Nowadays fans would get bored. Ratings would be down. Likewise this year the NBA had a big raise in their ratings with a Celtics/Lakers Finals.

Not that DCI should change scoring to improve ratings.

Some Blue Devils shows I think are classic and some bore the S&*%^ out of me, which I can say for almost all corps. Sorry I offended you Blue Devil sensibilities.

Not at all! I understand your point. I was being sarcastic, and not very effectively I guess. I agree that it's a continuing conundrum for DCI fans to have the same uniforms pop up year after year in the top 5. But just like the Dolphins, there are many new and different people in those uniforms every year. But because they wear that uniform they are automatically written off by fans because they continue to win. If the Blue Star's or Boston show was worthy of a top three this year, then.....! Got no answer, here for DCI, but I can tell you that it has nothing to do with "players salaries!" (by the way, I loved the Blue Stars and Boston shows this year!)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Amen to that. When one organization has won 1/3 of your titles, it does get boring. Some years I wanted to start a group called the A.B.D.D.(Anybody but the Blue Devils).

They have the staff and usually the talent to win it that many times, but just think how boring sports would be if 1/3 of the titles belonged to one team.

Competitive Inertia would have to reverse. IOW, all "close calls" would have to go the underdog, instead of the favorite. Ain't gunna happen.

It's a subjective decision, all judging. (Olympics should be making this clear to everyone.) I'm sure some of you have listened to judge's tapes. Don't you find it odd, when they say things like "Awesome! Pefect! Exactly what you shoudl be doing! That's better than anything out here!"...and then the score = 9.1? (TRANSLATION: "high box 5, but too bad you're slotted [here]")

To keep the current topic going, and keeping it in modern times, we'd have to agree that Crown and Bloo are the current favorites.

I'm not going to judge "best" between those two...WAY TOO SUBJECTIVE. Scoreboard to Crown, right?

Instead, I will point out Competitve Inertia momentum is definitely in Crown's favor, since they are more "Cadet-like," while Bloo is, well, Bloo! Crown is following the CI mantra: "Do as others have done, and you will be rewarded, since we (judges) can recognize that pattern." Bloo seems hell-bent on doing it "their way..." I'm not sure what that is, and it morphs very slowly. For a new corps to win it "their way," they'll have to be as fresh and new as Cadets in the early 80s. Does anyone see that happening anytime soon? I don't...(onvm, electronics will save the day...)

Stanley Knob is really spelled Stanley Knaub (RIP). Stanley taught SCV - both guard and M&M, helped formed WGI. His ex-wife Debbie marched SCV and taught 27th during the winter of 76-77.

Staney also marched with the Kingsmen as a mellophone in (at least) 1970 & 1971. He left Kingsmen and went to SCV in 1972 (opps). He taught the Kingsmen guard at various points. The opening flag/rife OTL file the Kingsmen guard did in 1973, and in 2007 by the Kingsmen Alumni Corps, was designed by Stanley.

He was taken far too soon.

WARNING KIND OF OFF TOPIC.....more of commentary on judging. :thumbup:

While I don't often 100% agree with DCI judging, at least it isn't as whacko as this organization my daughter's HS belonged to.

They took 1-act plays or cuttings of longer plays and went to districts (45 minute time limit), and if you qualified to regionals, and then if you qualified to state (like many other contests). It was similar to early drum corps, an area was marked off and no students could enter that area until the timing began, and they had to clear the set and any miscellaneous stuff during the 45 minutes. No adult could help during the 45 minutes unless life or limb were in peril. It was very interesting to see them unfold a set, deliver their lines and choreography, etc. and have the time limit factored in.

Only there was no consistency in the judging and often the judges would get so negative with the kids (one bragged he was the HS Simon Cowell). I could never understand it. At Regionals we took superior honors in set design (over all the schools there), so we had one week ( actually less than one week) to prepare for state..........would you change your set then? The first thing out of the judges' mouths at state were " I didn't like that set", "The set really didn't work", " That set is too white". I felt like I was in LaLa land. As one of the instructors for them, I could hardly justify competing under circumstances like that.

In Band or Orchestra competition in our state....if you hear at districts "your woodwinds are outstanding" at state you will probably hear at least " your woodwinds are your strongest section" or something like that. I then realized plays were more like paintings almost an individual taste where in music there is a somewhat standard interpretation ( you would get bombed playing Beethoven's 9th or Rocky Point at 80 m.m. or for playing Claire De Lune ....Stacatto).

I'm just gonna say it now- INT. :thumbup:

I'm just gonna say it now- INT. :thumbup:

yea havent they been in every finals, along with vanguard, yet never win. hell they probably havent moved much, if at all, since the beginning either. oh well ive always enjoyed them at every show ive seen them in