Reilly Raiders Show (Abington High School)

Well,

Ive had a day to sit and think about it, and i have never written an alumni show review.

This was fun to have at the school i taught the last 6 years. I wasnt sure if the show would be indoors or outdoors. I had hoped it would be in the fantastic new stadium, and my vote is to have it there next time. Auditorium was nice but again, just my preference.

The Crowd: It was a moderate crowd. I know first hand at least 10 people showed up, saw the 15$ ticket price, and turned around. I went ahead and paid it for me and my date, but that is a bit much. especially without any readily accesable refreshments (there was a very small selection in the cafeteria on the other side of campus)

Alot of people were standing around the back and sides, but it wasnt even close to full. I was 10 rows back and dead center. Most of the sets in my line of site were empty or had significant chunks of seats empty.

The Show:

Fontana & Murray Percussion duo- What can you say!? Superchops! Got a little long and a bit repeatitive after awhile, but an impressive display.

Hitmen: The flashy little "zoot suit" look was cool. I was expecting a "cool" vibey performance.but, what we got was a Very average sound. The treatment of "Hey Pachuco" was very cool though. the one percussion player was pretty much a non-factor. Didnt project much or make much sound. Lower brass was rough. The upper voices had some great moments.

Side Note: the 15-20 people around me seem to agree that the repeated appearances by these guys got very old. especially the improv comedy by the lead trumpet. He was getting no laughs but kept going. He kept demanding the spot light in a very non-charming fashion and unfortunately the playing of the small group didnt back up the attitude. They showed their biggest lack of class when the lead trumpet player began playing and improving around on his horn during another corps performance! They had been a distraction from the show several tiems from the side of the auditorium during several corps performances. The people around remarked several times about how unclassy and unprofessional this was. What a dissappointment.

moving on.,,

Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights- FUN! The first big "Wall of sound" of the night. A few intonation and clarity issues, but they had a great line-up. Snare/tenor sections had alot of clarity issues and trouble keeping tempos. the drum major counted off out loud and the tempo was always slower within 8 counts noted my high school age students. A great joy as always to watch overall!

Archer Epler Musketeers- Intro Ballad was very nice! Offered more dynamic contrast compared to the others. A few obvious intonation issues early but finished strong! The Crowd definitely loved it!

St Joes Batavia- Mighty Saint Joes! Wow... what a sound! In my opinion the best brass of the evening with the exception of the Marines. If percussion can come around and keep pace with the horn line, this will truly be one of the best regardless of size!

The next 3 i sadly had to miss to visit the restroom and meet up with my alma matter, the "Commandants Own"!

New York Skyliners

Reilly Brass Ensemble

Reilly Drumline feature

INTERMISSION

Reilly Raiders- The Crowd was ready for this, and they delivered! Wow! Killer sound. The most involved colorguard of the evening, and some huge moments. The brass reached for the stratosphere a few times even at the expense of some clarity, but still very well recieved. In my opinion the very best percussion section of the night (once again with the exception of the Marines). The gentleman on the tuned tom rack in the back was exceptional as were the quad players. Snares had what seems like an off night. some fuzz here and there and a lost stick in the feature, but it was obvious that this is a very proficient unit. Overall, my very favorite amongst a great field of alumni corps!

US Marine Corps- Always my favorite! I had the honor of marching with these guys from 95-02. Im ashamed of the fact that i hadnt seen them since DCI finals in 2005, but i was greatful they were in my town at the school i help teach! As always, they deliver the home run! Malaguena was on fire as always, the marches and standards were clean and fun, and battle hymn and Marines Hymn brought tears to my eyes(guess i am getting old). Reminded me that a hornline and drumline can sometimes make a wonderful, rich, clear orchestral sound even with a small group and get those Fortissimo blasts without sacrificing clarity and quality of sound. AWESOME boys.. OOHRAH!

Yankee Rebels- Missed it to say good bye to my Marine Brothers who were flying out of there 5 minutes after the show was done. (sorry guys! i know your always great!)

Overall: a Fun show, the crowd clearly dug it, and a fun line up! I hope they keep this thing going next year at Hatboro-horsham but hopefully outdoors.

I dont review many alumni corps shows, but as i always say in my DCI/DCA reviews, these are the opinions of 1 guy. You have yours, i have mine.

Thanks Reilly for a wonderful time! Great way to spend my 33rd Birthday!

Tony

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony, Thanks for the review. It was a very long 24 hours for us upstate New Yorkers.

Tony, Thanks for the review. It was a very long 24 hours for us upstate New Yorkers.

Tony,

Thanks for the kind words. And like you say despite our size, regardless of who we bring, we aim to entertain, and please the crowd. The "gas-thing" is really a killer this summer and we look forward to seeing you all at DCA where we WILL have a full corps.

Yankee Rebels- Missed it to say good bye to my Marine Brothers who were flying out of there 5 minutes after the show was done. (sorry guys! i know your always great!)

You weren't the only one that left after the Marines performed and missed our performance. It was disheartening to realize that since we were after the Marines, that we weren't worth the extra time to see us close the show. :drool: The audience that did remain enjoyed us immensely and we thank them for making our evening and giving us a rousing standing O. :sad:

Thanks for the comment about St. Joe's. We werent sure of how many performers would actually make the trip, but the amount of people didnt really matter when it came to show time.

We actually did spend a little time in the parking lot trying to balance the brass sound with the members we had. I am glad that it was appreciated!!!!

I also had the chance to see Reilly and the Marines, and both groups were very good. Reilly was much bigger than I expected them to be.

The Marines version of "Malaguena" was outstanding.

Donny

You weren't the only one that left after the Marines performed and missed our performance. It was disheartening to realize that since we were after the Marines, that we weren't worth the extra time to see us close the show. :drool: The audience that did remain enjoyed us immensely and we thank them for making our evening and giving us a rousing standing O. :sad:

I apologize again sir. And although it must have been frustrating, i meant you and your team no disrespect. I just dont get to see my boys very often unfortunately and have to seize the oppertunity when it comes. As a former D&B member, i performed in the Dixie Stinger many times and have had some wonderful memories along side and sometimes as the "Opening act" for the Yankee Rebels. Im sure you guys were great as always and i hope to get the chance to see you guys again.

Tony

I apologize again sir. And although it must have been frustrating, i meant you and your team no disrespect. I just dont get to see my boys very often unfortunately and have to seize the oppertunity when it comes. As a former D&B member, i performed in the Dixie Stinger many times and have had some wonderful memories along side and sometimes as the "Opening act" for the Yankee Rebels. Im sure you guys were great as always and i hope to get the chance to see you guys again.

Tony

Tony,

It was frustrating. We did not let it affect our performance. BTW, I am a woman. :drool:

Robbie

Tony,

It was frustrating. We did not let it affect our performance. BTW, I am a woman. :drool:

Robbie

Boy im not doin too well here am i? lol

I apologize Ms Ellis.

And you guys never let anything effect your performance!

Tony

Boy im not doin too well here am i? lol

I apologize Ms Ellis.

And you guys never let anything effect your performance!

Tony

OK, I hesitate to write this - but if you missed three corps to pee, and skipped another one, and didn't like all that much about the corps you did see, why write a review?

Just my reaction - flame away my brothers.

Tony,

BTW, I am a woman.

Robbie

Robbie,

He was probably in the bathroom with the Marine Corps when he should have been reading your "Redneck Woman" bit on the bottom of your posts!!!