Reilly Raiders Show (Abington High School)

OK, I hesitate to write this - but if you missed three corps to pee, and skipped another one, and didn't like all that much about the corps you did see, why write a review?

Just my reaction - flame away my brothers.

I reviewed 7 of the 10 performances... sorry if that doesnt appear to be enough.

I dont like to sit still that long so i tend to move around alot.

And of course as you so astutely noticed, i went to greet my fellow Marines. Im sure you never miss anything to greet your corps mates though.

I review what i see.

And who says i didnt like what i saw? I pointed out performance issues, as i most of us do in any review, and took the time to note a few things about one unit in particular.

I liked 90% of what i saw. Doesnt mean there werent small technical issues with them. Thats the nature of a review. you may want to re-read it.

No need to flame.

I guess this is just the way you are.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PICTURES!!! POST PICTURES!!!!

Well, Ive had a day to sit and think about it, and I have never written an alumni show review. This was fun to have at the school I taught the last 6 years.

Hey! Thanks for taking the time and being bold enough to put your impressions out there for us to read. Being on the corps board for Reilly I am very interested in any critique and receive it openly. I wish you could have seen our percussion feature. I am in the Quint section, I also like you play snare sometimes (even bass and cymbals too, I dont care) the guy next to me was my brother so we play together well. I wish you would consider playing with us, we need another strong all-around player. At any rate we should meet sometime. I dont know what you taught but I taught music until recently. One of the Bucs DMs teaches at Abington too. but I digress...

yes, that gorgeous stadium makes me want to use it. Auditorium was nice but the campus is very spread out compared to are usual site at Hatboro-Horsham (under renovation) Refreshments were too far away? hmm... Archie has the outdoor concert coming up September 13th.

As for the crowd... we sold over 900 tickets for a 1220 auditorium. The front of the room did have empty seats but the middle back was packed. We need to sell-out though. We finally got online ticket sales at the last moment and next year we will do better at marketing, advertising and distributing tickets. There are people working full time, playing in the corps that try to do all the extra work also and there just isnt much time. We have improvements to make for sure but there are corps who cannot sustain these type shows or dont even try. We thought the ticket price was reasonable but if you seriously watched people go home we can revisit this. All overhead costs and projected income are weighed in the decision, renting the school, buying food etc etc Reilly pays for it to provide all the corps a chance to present their shows. We also count on this show to keep our own corps going. There are many exciting possibilities being discussed to enhance the value of this annual event. Send us your ideas!

We were happy to feature some extra percussion and appreciate Mr Fontana and Mr Murray's contribution.

There will be some changes for next year. There was talk this year that we didnt have enough time to implement. Hopefully we will have some state of the art

equipment to help make the production of the time between corps more professional and more enjoyable.

Blessed Sacrament is in a transition but they have the talent to come through it better than ever. They do not have a demanding rehearsal schedule and perhaps fly low on the radar screen but when they come out people usually recognize that they really can play!

Archie and Reilly had a merger in 1968 and 2008 was the 40th anniversary of that one year marriage. We failed to recognize that at the show. One of our guys was going to wear the merger uniform but it wasnt in good enough condition to present. That old rivalry has turned into good will.

St Joes travels a long way to be here and next year it is our turn! We are looking forward to giving their audience the best performance we can.

One day we will be doing exchange concerts with Sky too, I am optimistically saying that. We are happy to have them at our show.

Reilly's brass ensemble never existed before 2008 and will be performing at DCA I&E. This unit is still going through growing pains but things keep working out as drum corps people used to persevering and simply making it happen. We applaud them.

Reilly's drum line feature was a new thing. We played along to a soundtrack. The experience helped us at uniting in a groove since we seldom to never use amplified metronome to establish that. I will know better after seeing the video how that went.

Thank you for your compliments on our percussion section. The guy on the big rack toms is Ed Young and he doesnt get the credit he deserves, so thank you!

Its funny how we can focus on what should be better and fear sucking ;) We feel good about our performance but we arent necessarily satisfied with things the way they are either. I will say this, once upon a time Reilly had a reputation for drinking and partying. We still have a good time at the right time. At rehearsals and before a show, this drumline is about enjoying playing and working together. It is a great bunch of guys. We have one snare drummmer doing I&E this year. I am shooting for next year since this year being on the board took its toll on that endeavor. Reilly no longer has any regular drummers from the original corps except Frank Neill and Dave Wise. My brother and I plus Larry Scott and Bill Seigfried are sons of original members. It was nice to have Nick & Jim back to do some representing of the glory days. Once again to the writeer, if we were your favorite and you arent competing, come on down! dont quit playing.

Marines sure were clean werent they?

Yankee Rebels... I was backstage during the performance. We close their show usually I think I am right in saying that... somebody had to go on last and it couldnt be the Marines due to time issues, it couldnt be St Joes due to distance etc etc. It probably will not be Rebels next year but they did a wonderful job holding that position this year and we appreciate it. Their drumline is very good, too bad you missed but its understandable.

Thank you very, very much for posting your honest opinions and impressions Tony, we do need to get together, I live in Manayunk, we practice in Glenside near Arcadia U. Happy Birthday to you and many more!

Walt Biehn

Program Coordinator

The Reilly Raiders Drum & Bugle Corps

Edited by BeinGreen

Well written Walt.

In defense of the Yankee Rebels going on last the only thing we missed a beat on was the fact we had no time to socialize with our drum corps buddies. We arrived late due to a few bad directions and then the bus pulled out right after the show and we got another tour of wonder NORTH PHILLY right on down BROAD STREET.(got to see center city and the Jersey waterfront). Wasted an hour that we could have spent at the post with our buds having a few refreshments. Darn bus company (beats paying gas and tolls) and a new driver ,all in all we had a great bus ride and made it to and from the show with no scratches.LOL.

:thumbup: Going on after the Marines was not the greatest because I noticed that quite a few people left their seats and the annoucer addressed those leaving to say there was one more corps.

To my fellow YANKEE REBELS WHAT A SHOW YOU DID AND IT IS QUITE A SHAME THAT SO MANY PEOPLE PAID THE MONEY FOR THE SHOW AND MISSED THE BEST PERFORMANCE OF THE REBELS SEASON TO DATE. I have it on video by the way.

Someone has to close the show and it was us and we had a wonderful performance and Murrill Long would be proud that this was the show dedicated to him. RIP Murrill no one can hold the American Flag the way you did.

:lol::lol::w00t: Our soloist's and quartet were on the mark and the horns sounded sweet and the drummers man did some people miss out. I just wish you could see our drum line and the mello's would move out. But.....

if you where there you would know why.

Bea Gustafson

YR Activities Co-ordinator

REBEL WIFE

Edited by beagus

Priester - we know you're reading this. Add a review of Sky - the same one you emailed to your membership.

I think it would be a bit gauche to write our own review. We are probably our own worst critics when it comes to our performances, since we KNOW where all the little glitches and flubs are.

It would mean more to the membership to hear or read what someone else thought of the show. I'm certain that members of other corps would also rather read reviews from someone who is not associated with their corps to get some real feedback and impressions of the performance. Critical reviews are as good as rave reviews too.

All in all, I thought that all the corps gave it their very best out there and entertained the h**l out of the fans. If the fans are pleased, then we are pleased.

Looking forward to next year's Shamrock Festival and golf outing. (Lotsa laughs there!)

BTW, Hornsup, who are you? No ID in your file. Just curious.

And FYI, e-mails to the corps are 'in-house' and private for Sky Alumni only, same as with other corps.

Ray

Tony,

Thank you for the kind words, although they are contrary to the dozens in the audience, who went out of their way to share positive accolades.

BTW, have you ever heard of the musical terms: musicianship, tone quality, blend or balance? They are used to describe musical performances. Try using some of them when you write your second musical performance review.

I'll bet you're a drummer!

Where are you performing next? I'd love to come and listen.

Well Tony, Happy 33rd Birthday......

Musically Yours,

David Martin, Director

The Hit Men Brass Band

Whoa,easy there big guy. There are a LOT of drummers on this site and drummers are too musicians! We also appreciate tone quality, balance, blend, dynamics, etc. and do strive to reach the same goals as the brass. Contrary to some opinions, drummers do play pp too. It ain't all fff. Well most times at least.

Ray

Tony,

Thank you for the kind words, although they are contrary to the dozens in the audience, who went out of their way to share positive accolades.

BTW, have you ever heard of the musical terms: musicianship, tone quality, blend or balance? They are used to describe musical performances. Try using some of them when you write your second musical performance review.

Where are you performing next? I'd love to come and listen.

Well Tony, Happy 33rd Birthday......

Musically Yours,

David Martin, Director

The Hit Men Brass Band

Sir,

Yes i have heard and use those terms quite a bit. IVe been a scholastic music, indoor percussion, arranger, and composer and director since 1997. (not long compared to many on here im sure).

I noted where i found musical pros and cons, but if you prefer i use the terminology:

musicianship- very obvious high degree of individual chops from some, but It felt as though some were trying to play over top of others alot of the time.

tone quality- stronger in the upper voices than the lower.

blend or balance- Again, nice moments of clarity, but over felt very muddy.

I noted the nice moments by the upper brass, but there were also significant tempo issues. Particularly when you guys attempted to play from accross the wide auditorium. huge ensemble issues. and while i have no doubt that some enjoyed your show (as i did at moments), i was just noting the things that were percieved by many around me to be a negative. Playing during another corps performance being the most noteworthy. Maybe its something thats just traditionally done, but ive never seen it and wuoldnt allow it, but to each his or her own. I also listened to the row behind me saying "i didnt pay 15$ for bad stand up comedy.. i wanted to hear some music".

Ive chosen to end my performing days for now. I finished at DCAs in 06 (you can see my profile if you would like details). "never say never" right? lol.. but for now im done. It would be fun to march again, but my career doesnt allow much time.

In any case, you guys look like your having fun.

Im sure i will see you again sometime.

Tony

Edited by TastyWaves

Well written Walt.

In defense of the Yankee Rebels going on last the only thing we missed a beat on was the fact we had no time to socialize with our drum corps buddies. We arrived late due to a few bad directions and then the bus pulled out right after the show and we got another tour of wonder NORTH PHILLY right on down BROAD STREET.(got to see center city and the Jersey waterfront). Wasted an hour that we could have spent at the post with our buds having a few refreshments. Darn bus company (beats paying gas and tolls) and a new driver ,all in all we had a great bus ride and made it to and from the show with no scratches.LOL.

:thumbup: Going on after the Marines was not the greatest because I noticed that quite a few people left their seats and the annoucer addressed those leaving to say there was one more corps.

To my fellow YANKEE REBELS WHAT A SHOW YOU DID AND IT IS QUITE A SHAME THAT SO MANY PEOPLE PAID THE MONEY FOR THE SHOW AND MISSED THE BEST PERFORMANCE OF THE REBELS SEASON TO DATE. I have it on video by the way.

Someone has to close the show and it was us and we had a wonderful performance and Murrill Long would be proud that this was the show dedicated to him. RIP Murrill no one can hold the American Flag the way you did.

:lol::w00t::lol: Our soloist's and quartet were on the mark and the horns sounded sweet and the drummers man did some people miss out. I just wish you could see our drum line and the mello's would move out. But.....

if you where there you would know why.

Bea Gustafson

YR Activities Co-ordinator

REBEL WIFE

Donna and I didn't miss any of it!! :w00t:

Great seeing all of our Y/R buds after the show while youse guys were loading the bus. Sorry we didn't get to enjoy the company of all of you at the post.

Next time for sure! :lol: