Phantom Drill

Their drill was okay this year. Personally I liked 2006 much better than this year. I know it fit the theme but the colorguard staging killed me!!! I wish rather than having them in the front the entire time they would be in the back field at times! But again, it goes back to them being the main focus of the show so staging was good for that.

My favorite drill would go:

Santa Clara: I think Weber is the top dog right now. His work has so much going on, yet so much detailed in his planning. It's not very geometric at all, but rather mathematically design. All the individual parts for some of his moves are ridiculous!

Blue Devils: These guys are flying at parts of their show! I don't like their personalities, but even I can't deny the difficultly throughout the show.

Cavies: As somebody mentioned earlier, good stuff that looks crazy! I think Gaines has lost some of his touch in the last 4 years but he showed us in 2006 he still had some left. His designs are definitely different from 2005-present than prior. It might be because of the show design changes that Cavies started to do around 2004.

Cadets: Opposite of Cavies. If you don't know what you're looking at you'd say Cavies drill is 10 times harder, when in reality it's probably the opposite (same goes with BD as Cadets). Plus they play a ton of notes.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The last time I was thouroughly impressed by Phantom's drill was 2006, but too bad it was eclipsed by the uber Green Machine...

Prior to that.... hmm... Probably 1993ish

The big thing here is Regiment has always depended on the brass.

The drill is written to be effective and executable.

It doesn't matter how "crazy" the drill is if the kids can't execute it, or if it hurts the musical performance.

Regiments drill has always been good and effective and executable without hurting the music program.

I think when taking into consideration what they are playing while moving, only the Cadet's drills lately can compete with Regiment's. I really don't see how Phantom's visual program takes a back seat to any, especially in 2008. To me, the top 5 corps this year all had outstanding drills this year. Yes.... they were all different, but I can in no way say one was hands down better than the others.

Huge HUGE Phantom Regiment fan here. But I have to be honest in terms of design....

Phantom's weak link is visual design. It just isn't ever memorable and thats the problem.

The Cavaliers, The Cadets, and Santa Clara Vanguard are there every year. And every year, Phantom is not the rave when it comes to drill.

So far, Phantom's just done a good job with using the drill to make room for staging. It's almost a background. It gets the sophistication, but it ain't gonna get you pulinl out the high camera angles.

it's true, and crown is another corps guilty of doing the same, but phantom's drill demand is pretty consistent......and it's not ALWAYS a 6 to 5 stepsize when they jazz run, haha. there's videos of them doing that across-the-field exercise from '07 perpendicularly to the yard lines, and it's at a 4 to 5. plus their tempos were pretty extreme this year, as well.

it was surprisingly obvious in atlanta this year though, the fact that BD jazz runs at 4 to 5's, and other corps were guilty of jazz running when the step size was smaller. it didn't really occur to me until i was watching the blue devils, and suddenly, i was shocked about how noticeable the difference was without even specifically thinking about it. it just clicked.

(good for them, especially considering how good they look when marching 'normally' at a 6 to 5. marching with normal technique at a 6 to 5 is a LOT harder than jazz running it, for those who wouldn't assume so).

Who actually wrote Phantom's drill this year? I know that Nick wrote it in the beginning, but I heard that most of it was rewritten throughout the season with the help of someone else. Am I off base here?

I thought it did the job well enough. Not a show I would watch for great drill though.