Best 4th Place of show

Yes. We're all dumb. As dumb as thinking a statement from a fan who liked one show means he is labeling it LEGENDARY for the masses.

I liked the show, too. It's a little more than a loud brass line. I've heard from many people that the "sound" of the current hornline is one of their all time faves. The guard doesn't stink either. Kinda liked some visuals, too.

I seriously don't get why compliments for Crown elicit so much vitriol. Is it the "less than 30 years in existence" thing? They didn't come on the scene with tons of $$$ and the best of everything. There's been a lengthy and sometimes bumpy ride, with a slow progression forward.

Why can't a compliment by one go by without inspiring venom by another?

"Can't we all just get along?" -RK

Just for the record, Carolina Crown gets more props on this forum than any other corps (save Phantom Regiment, lately). There's no need to overreact here. That being said, I kinda thought the same thing. A tad overrated. Good. But overrated.

4th place? 1995 Scouts. 2003 Phantom. 2000 SCV. 1981 27th.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Carolina Crown '08 is not going to be a show I even think about when asked what the best fourth place shows are. I'd sooner pick from amongst a number of shows like:

1993 Blue Devils

1995 Scouts

2000 SCV (my personal choice)

2003 Phantom

2003 SCV (it was so close, I'm counting it :lol:)

2006 Bluecoats

I'll be completely honest, I just loved the big dude in the guard with the crazy fro'd out hair... he's basically the only thing I watched when they were on.

Edited by TSRTS13

so if crown only plays loud, what does phantom do?

Many of the same as everyone else for me...

1982 Phantom

1984 Phantom

1988 Cadets (only 1.0 from the title despite finishing 4th)

1993 Blue Devils (what a hornline!)

1995 Scouts

2000 Vanguard

2003 Phantom

2007 Phantom

i dunno if anyone has mentioned it yet but the 1999 cadets were a crazy good drum corps with a pretty crazy hard show.

we'll see if people agree with me on this; im going to throw it out there anyway (if you dont want it, you can throw it right back).

the cadets 1999 mello line was one of the best ever.

Cadets Mello line in 1999 was probably THE best ever in my opinion, and I don't really like the Cadets all that much.

Crown 08 will not be a "legendary" show for me. However, they play with a sound that IMO is unmatched by any other in DCI. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but their balance and intonation is absolutely amazing. My guess is that they are not playing as loud as some people may think, but rather so in tune that it sounds much bigger.

as for best 4th place shows? I've never been a huge fan of 95 Madison (prefer 96) or 03 PR. I will go with 00 SCV on this one.

sweet! i'll end my general survey of people's opinions there, and give myself a nice pat on the back for being 100% right with my video impression. :lol:

Meh, having 80 horns (or whatever it is) certainly doesn't hurt Crown's big sound. Playing in tune doesn't either. Going to 1 with every release doesn't either.

They play with very very very good brass fundamentals. I wish I liked their shows more, because their brass sound is pretty #### impressive... Their shows, not so much.

Edited by TSRTS13

i dunno if anyone has mentioned it yet but the 1999 cadets were a crazy good drum corps with a pretty crazy hard show.

we'll see if people agree with me on this; im going to throw it out there anyway (if you dont want it, you can throw it right back).

the cadets 1999 mello line was one of the best ever.

I think it's a wonderful show, but it was quite dirty. Doesn't get nearly enough, methinks. Probably the last "nearly impossible drill" shows that Cadets have done, which likely led to the much more mellow 2000 show.

I wouldn't put it in the "best fourth" category, but I'd put it and 2002 SCV in the "underrated fourth" category...