Cavaliers hornline and design

I'm a huge Cavalier fan, I think their designs over their years have really been impressive and sometimes stunning.

I flipped out my cam corder of their rehearsals from this year and watched it several times.

I just have to compare, I don't want to sound anti-cavie or anything but from my observations The Cavaliers hornline just does not play and march at the same time.

if they're playing it usually at a stand still or on the half-time, the entire brassline rarely plays together on the move

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a huge Cavalier fan, I think their designs over their years have really been impressive and sometimes stunning.

I flipped out my cam corder of their rehearsals from this year and watched it several times.

I just have to compare, I don't want to sound anti-cavie or anything but from my observations The Cavaliers hornline just does not play and march at the same time.

if they're playing it usually at a stand still or on the half-time, the entire brassline rarely plays together on the move

Lets see, here you state you are a "huge" cavie fan, a few posts back you state you are a "huge" Phantom fan then you bag on their drill, calling it background and claiming "not to start anything"

You marched Cadets, you hate anything negative said about Cadets, fine, dont claim to be a huge anything and "just asking" when you are trolling.....

Geoffrey

PS: Kinda like the way 1997 Cadets played the hardest part of their opener, standing still ???

That may be true but to me, if it works for them, so be it. I usually love Cavies' shows except 2005. But 2006 and 2003 were my favorites. The designs of those shows were absolutely genius.

Quit trolling. We've had this topic discussed before, no need to bring it up again just because you felt the Cadets were bagged on in a different thread.

With Cavaliers.......

the percussion, especially pit, carries more of the music load than the brass line (they do it well....)

the brass rarely play demanding parts on the fly

the tacet time of the brass exceeds all competitors, and there is not much full ensemble brass playing in comparison

their dynamic range is limited compared to others

most of the effect of the show is generated via visual, not music....ie drill/guard with music accompaniment

Fortunately, the formula is growing old, and others with far more substance in the musical programs are

starting to prevail..............

GB

To be Frank, 2008 was definitely one of the more hornline-showy years.

There was just one corps that wasn't doing up to par. Now I understand this is a formula of sorts but I think with their competition, it really stuck out this year.

When did the Cavaliers start going to this minimal playing? In 2004, I was floored by that brass book. They were marching and playing a lot.

With Cavaliers.......

the percussion, especially pit, carries more of the music load than the brass line (they do it well....)

the brass rarely play demanding parts on the fly

the tacet time of the brass exceeds all competitors, and there is not much full ensemble brass playing in comparison

their dynamic range is limited compared to others

most of the effect of the show is generated via visual, not music....ie drill/guard with music accompaniment

Fortunately, the formula is growing old, and others with far more substance in the musical programs are

starting to prevail..............

GB

Agree with above statement.

I like the Cavies but their brass book this year was especially lacking. Clean, but not as powerful.

However, it would be nearly impossible to do the drill they do and play at the same time. Ex: doing jumping pass throughs at 180 bpm

The Cavaliers don't play and move at the same time? Is this news? The Cavaliers formula for success is a lot of 6-to-5 and 4-to-5 while tacit straight into 12-to-5 as soon as they put their horns up. I really hope you're not just coming to this realization now.

The Cavaliers don't play and move at the same time? Is this news? The Cavaliers formula for success is a lot of 6-to-5 and 4-to-5 while tacit straight into 12-to-5 as soon as they put their horns up. I really hope you're not just coming to this realization now.

The OP may be just realizing this but I'm not. If you look at the ending last year with Cadets and the ending the Cadets ended up with this year and many others, the meatiest part of their horn book is played while on the FLY and I do MEAN FLY. Watch the tubular website's video Cadets 2008 finals and the music being played during that INSANE drill is also INSANE. What people are asking is if it can be done and the Cavies are so talented why can't they do it? A very very legit question IMO.

edit for spelling (ugh)

Edited by Perry S

It's been discussed on here before, and I have to agree with you. I especially notice it in 06, but a lot of their shows fall into this formula. Personally, I'm not sure how I feel about it....I'll admit, it feels "easy" and therefore kind of like (insert better word for cheating here), but at the same time I can't say there's anything wrong with it either. The general ideas of a drum corps show are absolutely in there:

1) Marching while playing (they're doing it, even if it is 8 to 5 and sometimes at a half speed)

2) Entertaining drill/jazz running/4 to 5/etc.

3) Technically difficult music

The only thing about 2 and 3 is that the general concept for a corps is to handle both at once. Technically the Cavaliers are still doing this though....one section takes care of 3 while everyone else takes care of 2, and just rotate who's in the 3 slot.

Other corps usually just take 1, 2 and 3 and give them to everyone at the same time and they achieve a result that's just as entertaining. So while you might think "well, the Cavaliers are just sandbagging it," you can also think "or they're taking those three things and are doing them in the most efficient way possible."