Cavaliers hornline and design

With Cavaliers.......

the percussion, especially pit, carries more of the music load than the brass line (they do it well....)

the brass rarely play demanding parts on the fly

the tacet time of the brass exceeds all competitors, and there is not much full ensemble brass playing in comparison

their dynamic range is limited compared to others

most of the effect of the show is generated via visual, not music....ie drill/guard with music accompaniment

Fortunately, the formula is growing old, and others with far more substance in the musical programs are

starting to prevail..............

GB

:smile:

By more substance you mean more music, and while I would agree The Cavaliers use 60% visual 40% music, the formula still shouldn't be 60% music 40% visual. It should be 50/50, and regardless, the Cavies still put on, year in year out, one of the most entertaining products consistently. I liked Phantom this year, but (for example) I did not think Faust was better than Machine.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am definitely NOT a fan of recent cavalier shows (no faking it here), however, this years production seemed a little better balanced to me. Not GREAT, but better. The visual was dazzling as ever, and they took at least a few (more than usual but still less than most) risks involving marching and playing. I think I can enjoy their shows more because they arent being rewarded as much for the formula as much anymore, so im less bitter :smile:. When i saw the show in Allentown, i thought it was a good 2nd or 3rd place show...then they went and beat BD, which was upsetting. Everything turned out ok for finals though :smile:

Like someone else was hinting at...I know the corps is amazing talented, and obviously incredibly athletic, so I would LOVE to see what they could do if they went that route...

The OP may be just realizing this but I'm not. If you look at the ending last year with Cadets and the ending the Cadets ended up with this year and many others, the meatiest part of their horn book is played while on the FLY and I do MEAN FLY. Watch the tubular website's video Cadets 2008 finals and the music being played during that INSANE drill is also INSANE. What people are asking is if it can be done and the Cavies are so talented why can't they do it? A very very legit question IMO.

edit for spelling (ugh)

Yeah, that narration blinded people to some INCREDIBLE stuff at the end of that show. Stunning.

With Cavaliers.......

the percussion, especially pit, carries more of the music load than the brass line (they do it well....)

I think this is a key to understanding why the Cavies score so well in music ensemble and music effect despite an underachieving horn line. Certainly this year their percussion ensemble writing was outstanding - it contributed to the show far more effectively than the brass book did.

My hope is that competitive factors push the Cavies to attempt something less formulaic in their brass program next year. Crown and Phantom both achieved quite a lot in their brass books this year, and really, the Cadets could easily have wound up above the Cavies line as well. I don't think that they're going to be satisfied with a 4th - 5th brass line.

Well what about the ending of 007?

I know the Cavies have used this formula in the past and it has worked. But sometimes their show concepts leave the audience wanting more from the show, even if it is well executed (05,07, 08.) Cavalier endings as of late have not been as exciting as Cadets or Phantom.

Of course each corps is entitled to its preferred ending of choice.

Cavaliers play on the move more than people think. I don't understand why they get hammered by some who say they don't..You want to compared them to other corps while playing on the move, then just look at them and Crown the past couple of years. Watch them both and then tell me who plays more standing still..I'll give you a hint: It's not The Cavaliers. I can agree that their brass book isn't a strong suit..And I can also agree that the hornline seems reserved in terms of dynamics..But to bash them for not playing while on the move isn't going to fly..Especially when there are others who are FAR more guilty of this, yet get away with it because they have a better hornline.

Edited by Feathers Up

I think crown may play more while standing still, but thats largely because they play more....overall. I'm not going to watch all the shows (because i cant, and because im too lazy even if i could) to time it all out, but thats just the impression i get. I only saw each show 1-2 times however this year.

Cavaliers play on the move more than people think. I don't understand why they get hammered by some who say they don't..You want to compared them to other corps while playing on the move, then just look at them and Crown the past couple of years. Watch them both and then tell me who plays more standing still..I'll give you a hint: It's not The Cavaliers. I can agree that their brass book isn't a strong suit..And I can also agree that the hornline seems reserved in terms of dynamics..But to bash them for not playing while on the move isn't going to fly..Especially when there are others who are FAR more guilty of this, yet get away with it because they have a better hornline.

Honestly, I see Cavaliers playing on the move a lot - just rarely at anything larger than an 8 to 5. But like I said in my previous post, I can't really decide if I'm for or against that. I assume the Cavaliers CAN play while jazz running or marching at fast tempos, so I don't think it's a talent reason that they do this, which leads me to believe it's all design. But at the end of the show, I can without a doubt say that when they played they were in fact moving, and that when music was being played there was definitely high velocity drill going on too (even if it wasn't necessarily by the same individuals at the same time), and as long as that criteria is met, I think I'm good.