Cavaliers hornline and design

Please, try and find even one corps that didn't stand still while playing their most difficult passage. I can already think of moments in the Cadets and Crown shows where they did just that.

The ENTIRE LAST MINUTE AND A HALF of the Cadets show was probably the most insane thing I've ever seen (and I haven't missed a season since 1976). THE CADETS were playing insane music and marching INSANE DRILL AT THE SAME TIME!!! Nothing the Cavies did even remotley compared to this playing while moving. The closer for Cadets last year also. This year was like last years closer with the Cadets but on Steroids. Talk about the ultimate example af marching while playing. :smile:

edit for my lousy spelling (ugh again)

Edited by Perry S

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The OP may be just realizing this but I'm not. If you look at the ending last year with Cadets and the ending the Cadets ended up with this year and many others, the meatiest part of their horn book is played while on the FLY and I do MEAN FLY. Watch the tubular website's video Cadets 2008 finals and the music being played during that INSANE drill is also INSANE. What people are asking is if it can be done and the Cavies are so talented why can't they do it? A very very legit question IMO.

Lemme see, one approach garnered third place and the other approach garnered fifth place. So, I'm gonna go ahead and say competitive advantage. :smile:

Edited by uncle z

Lemme see, one approach garnered third place and the other approach garnered fifth place. So, I'm gonna go ahead and say competitive advantage. :smile:

Touche. Although one show was filled with nonsensical narration and the other had a somewhat cohesive show design, so one can't necessarily say whether the relationship is causative or correlative.

Hmm, I think the Cadets show design itself was the downfall. Started off the season bad and then too many changes to expect a good outcome. I do understand the reality of the situation. I still think that the last minute and a half of that show demonstrates what people (not just Me) are pointing out that some of the other Corps are not doing.

edit to remove bad syntax

Edited by Perry S

The ENTIRE LAST MINUTE AND A HALF of the Cadets show was probably the most insane thing I've ever seen (and I haven't missed a season since 1976). THE CADETS were playing insane music and marching INSANE DRILL AT THE SAME TIME!!! Nothing the Cavies did even remotley compared to this playing while moving. The closer for Cadets last year also. This year was like last years closer with the Cadets but on Steroids. Talk about the ultimate example af marching while playing. :smile:

edit for my lousy spelling (ugh again)

Well I agree on The Cadets..But that's nothing new from them in regards to finishing a show. But there are also MANY examples of them throughout the years playing difficult stuff standing still..And there's nothing wrong with that..Everyone does it (but I will agree they do it less than others). Also, people have a different opinion on "what is difficult". A corps can jazz run while playing loud and people think it's SO SO hard..It may be difficult, but it would be much more impressive if they did that while playing at a very soft volume..Could you imagine the control you would have to have to do that?? Yet a lot of fans think "wow they are playing loud so it must be harder"..Although it's more entertaining to us fans, that does not make it more difficult..Like my instructor told me before my symphony auditions: "any good player can play loud and sound good. But only the great players can play ppp and still have the control to sound good." The Cavaliers may not have the volume we would hope for (and I'm included), but there's no doubt they have the difficulty in their programs..

Edited by Feathers Up

the cavaliers don't play and march simultaneously.

this is news? really?

it isn't necessarily bad -- rather it is a formula that dci rewards because the sheets credit (wrongly in my view) "excellence" over "demand" every time. a corps could play "mary had a little lamb" and if it was in tune could score at least 18 in ensemble music.

my dad has no drum corps experience (beyond two of his sons marching for many combined years now) but points this out to me every time he watches the cavaliers. its surprisingly something that really annoys him.

Does anyone notice this?

Not only has it been noted, but others have started threads and been beaten down over it.

this is news? really?

What will be the next big scandal in drum corps?

Blue Devils Are Louder When They Stand and Play at the Front Sideline!

Cadets Have Used Tempos in Excess of 200 Beats Per Minute!

Those Guys in the Pit Don't March at All!!!

What will be the next big scandal in drum corps?

Blue Devils Are Louder When They Stand and Play at the Front Sideline!

Cadets Have Used Tempos in Excess of 200 Beats Per Minute!

Those Guys in the Pit Don't March at All!!!

:smile: Well the excess tempo does get too much. there's only once where I thought it was just too fast... 1993 Cadets... It was so fast, i was nervous all the time except for that amazing ballad.