Contra/Tuba Line

ussglassman

Bb or G, it's still a contra. Length of tubing does not negate the majesty.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bb or G, it's still a contra. Length of tubing does not negate the majesty.

I would not suggest saying to someone playing a contra that they are a tuba player :smile:

I think the concept of defining that a contra isn't a tuba and vice-versa is kinda pointless in the modern drum corps era. The "bass horns" used in mainstream drum corps are "tubas," and have been since the addition of the 3rd valve to the contrabass bugle in the 80's. Even in the key of G, these horns could play a full chromatic scale, denying them the right to be referred to as a "bugle." I think the old school drum corps references are used just out of respect for the instruments that used to define drum corps as "not a marching band." Even the traditionalists know that the bugle terms don't apply anymore, but its nice to hear them floating around in a world where the drum corps activity has lost so much of its identity.

Which corps has the strongest tuba section?

I thought the Blue Stars Tuba section of 07 was one of the best I had every heard. They sounded like melted chocolate.

Pound for pound, Gulf Coast Sound has always got a great contra line. There were only 4 for the last 2 years, but if you listen to the parts, we push them to the limit every year and they respond wonderfully (a little biased maybe).

2007 Bluecoats. Even after watered parts. We could play AND move at the same time.

when i get bored, i listen to the 2007 finals brass judge tape by Albert Lo. It is hilarious! He hyped that tuba section during all parts of the show, my favorite example being when he almost completely ignored a trumpet feature to listen to the tubas' bass line... good times.

also, be on the lookout for the 2009 Bloo contras. with about 9 vets, it will be a good summer :thumbdown:

Edited by BlooContraGuy

I thought the Blue Stars Tuba section of 07 was one of the best I had every heard. They sounded like melted chocolate.

Pound for pound, Gulf Coast Sound has always got a great contra line. There were only 4 for the last 2 years, but if you listen to the parts, we push them to the limit every year and they respond wonderfully (a little biased maybe).

That's a lot of pounds.

I would love to march a 4v horn. Pedals are just too awesome to pass up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tuba: Concert,upright instrument

Sousaphone: wraparound marching instrument

Contra: on-the-shoulder marching instrument built exactly like a tuba otherwise

I only distinguish tubas from contras like this "[Johnny], go ahead and bring your tuba to camp, but you will be required to play one of the corps' contras as part of the audition."

But during the summer, I call 'em tubas all the time, since everyone else does. I still strive to call them Contras, but I don't get hungup on it. I would never be of the ilk "They're CONTRAS, NOT tubas!" Life's too short for that.

I think an argument could be made that the term "Contra" should be reserved for the Contrabass in G (no matter how many valves), since that key is ONLY used in drum corps. I don't think an upright tuba was ever made in G, although it would come in handy for Varese's Arcana (last note is a pedal G!)