Fever and Capital Sound

How is the recovery for these two corps going? Any word on their return in the near future? I am aware that CS say they will be returning for 09 and have done recruiting already but is there any additional positive news in regards to their return that their website does not include? It sounded like when Fever went inactive the amount of time needed to recover could have spanned more than a year... did they pull it all together faster than expected?

Hope to see them on the field again in 09 with a stronger foundation to stand on!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is the recovery for these two corps going? Any word on their return in the near future? I am aware that CS say they will be returning for 09 and have done recruiting already but is there any additional positive news in regards to their return that their website does not include? It sounded like when Fever went inactive the amount of time needed to recover could have spanned more than a year... did they pull it all together faster than expected?

Hope to see them on the field again in 09 with a stronger foundation to stand on!

From what was told to me by a Cap Sound staff member, there really isn't much to recover from. They were very well off financially, and even had a large Open Class group. Someone fell through on lining up housing for the summer, so the board pulled the plug on the tour. I imagine they'll be in great shape this year.

From what was told to me by a Cap Sound staff member, there really isn't much to recover from. They were very well off financially, and even had a large Open Class group. Someone fell through on lining up housing for the summer, so the board pulled the plug on the tour. I imagine they'll be in great shape this year.

I keep hearing this story and something just doesnt feel right about it. While Im not on the inside of this particular program, the fact that some housing fell through brings up some huge red flags. Some significant administrative issues had to have been going on here. It's not uncommon for housing issues to happen while on tour (or even during all-days) that a last minute change has to occur. What does this say about their situation and how well this organization is able to handle it or other potential problems that may come up?

If they are "very well off financially" then there has to be some type of solution to the housing issue they claim to have.

Now, dont get me wrong, I hope things work out. There is just something very odd about the scenario they had..and how they handled it.

As I have stated in other posts...instead of speculating on what happened, or making assumptions without first-hand knowledge, I invite anyone/everyone to contact me directly, and get the facts.

It's very easy to say things on-line without knowing what's going on, but somehow more difficult to actually inquire and find out the facts.

What happened that forced us to take the summer off is not a secret, so feel free to contact me directly, and I'll be happy to provide the details.

As I have stated in other posts...instead of speculating on what happened, or making assumptions without first-hand knowledge, I invite anyone/everyone to contact me directly, and get the facts.

It's very easy to say things on-line without knowing what's going on, but somehow more difficult to actually inquire and find out the facts.

What happened that forced us to take the summer off is not a secret, so feel free to contact me directly, and I'll be happy to provide the details.

There is no 'speculating' here...I know the situation and can not understand why the organization seemed to give up in making it work when it could have. IF everything is as you say it is.

I just hope all works out better for you next year and we get to see more great things coming from Madison.

Edited by ItsOnTheField

OK...I'm going to stop being subtle and come right out...

I don't know who you are, but you don't know the situation, or you wouldn't make a stupid statement like the one you initiated in post #2.

For the record:

1. Housing was a big issue that forced us to call the season. Unlike most other corps, Capital Sound has traditionally had out-of-town members move into homes of local members/alumni/supporters. This is something that worked quite well in the past. The reason for this method, rather than having a more traditional move-in to a school/schools is that the corps rehearses on what is considered a part-time schedule. Moving into a facility was never considered because of logistics, and because the cost involved (for example, Colts charge for their move-in, and it ain't cheap).

What happened was a combination of things:

a). Local membership was considerably down this year

b). Out of town membership was considerably higher

c). Families who committed to housing members backed out very late in the game

d). Commitments to secure other families were not met, and this was not revealed until mid-May.

School housing in the Madison area is already scarce, at best, because of the number of schools/districts who continue to close their doors to drum corps. Past behavior from various groups has now caused a situation where schools/districts will not allow for groups to stay over night, let alone permit a corps to move into the school for an extended period of time.

With the situation occurring when it did made it even tougher to find housing for those kids from out of town who suddenly didn't have it...and, with schools winding down for the year, getting a school to move everyone into was impossible.

2. We lost several drivers for our fleet because the economy forced them to actually work, rather than volunteer their time to drive for us. This was going to seriously affect our trip down South for the two weeks we were to travel there...jeopardizing our ability to make that trip happen. A number of our drivers this year drive professionally for a living, and with the economy taking a serious downward turn, created a situation where they needed to have their vehicles on the road making $$$, rather than spending their time driving for free.

3. Because of gas prices forcing us to re-budget for fuel 10 times since we created our budget, we were more reliant on member tuitions than ever before. While not going into specifics on-line, suffice it to say that tuition payments were lacking from nearly 1/3 of the membership, putting us into a position where finances were, potentially, going to create issues down the road. Contrary to your statement above, I do not believe anyone from Capital Sound has ever indicated that we were, "very well off financially." From all indications, no one is well off financially these days.

These are the three main reasons that Capital Sound made the decision to scrap the season. Do I wish it didn't happen? Dang right I do. No director could, or should, ever want to kill a season, especially so close to the start of the summer. Finding places where my kids could march was near impossible. But, thanks to a host of corps that opened their arms and welcomed our kids, many were still able to march.

Now, for my soapbox: :tongue::tongue::w00t:

I am really tired of reading b.s. on here from annonymous members of this website who choose to inflame a situation without knowledge of the situation. For whatever reason, ItsOnTheField, you make your assertions as if you know what's going on, while not have the guts to sign your name. While that's your right, I still think it chicken (insert proper expletive here).

Instead of making a concerted effort to find out from the source (I have never shyed away from explaining what happened), folks on here love to fire out their ignorance, then get all defensive by pleading that it's only their opinion.

Well, instead of simply letting crud like this be uttered, I've decided to speak up. I've signed my name to my posts, because I stand by my words.

Well stated there Marc. Good luck on the upcoming season. We ( the fans) missed you guys. You put on great show there in Middleton too....

Not intended to be a 'pissing match'....you may not know me directly, but that does not mean I do not know what was/is going on. I just hope that the situation gets better handled in the future.

Good luck Cap Sound....

Thanks for the use of your students during the past summer! They are awesome kids!

Donny Allen

Pioneer Brass Caption Head

OK...I'm going to stop being subtle and come right out...

I don't know who you are, but you don't know the situation, or you wouldn't make a stupid statement like the one you initiated in post #2.

For the record:

1. Housing was a big issue that forced us to call the season. Unlike most other corps, Capital Sound has traditionally had out-of-town members move into homes of local members/alumni/supporters. This is something that worked quite well in the past. The reason for this method, rather than having a more traditional move-in to a school/schools is that the corps rehearses on what is considered a part-time schedule. Moving into a facility was never considered because of logistics, and because the cost involved (for example, Colts charge for their move-in, and it ain't cheap).

What happened was a combination of things:

a). Local membership was considerably down this year

b). Out of town membership was considerably higher

c). Families who committed to housing members backed out very late in the game

d). Commitments to secure other families were not met, and this was not revealed until mid-May.

School housing in the Madison area is already scarce, at best, because of the number of schools/districts who continue to close their doors to drum corps. Past behavior from various groups has now caused a situation where schools/districts will not allow for groups to stay over night, let alone permit a corps to move into the school for an extended period of time.

With the situation occurring when it did made it even tougher to find housing for those kids from out of town who suddenly didn't have it...and, with schools winding down for the year, getting a school to move everyone into was impossible.

2. We lost several drivers for our fleet because the economy forced them to actually work, rather than volunteer their time to drive for us. This was going to seriously affect our trip down South for the two weeks we were to travel there...jeopardizing our ability to make that trip happen. A number of our drivers this year drive professionally for a living, and with the economy taking a serious downward turn, created a situation where they needed to have their vehicles on the road making $$$, rather than spending their time driving for free.

3. Because of gas prices forcing us to re-budget for fuel 10 times since we created our budget, we were more reliant on member tuitions than ever before. While not going into specifics on-line, suffice it to say that tuition payments were lacking from nearly 1/3 of the membership, putting us into a position where finances were, potentially, going to create issues down the road. Contrary to your statement above, I do not believe anyone from Capital Sound has ever indicated that we were, "very well off financially." From all indications, no one is well off financially these days.

These are the three main reasons that Capital Sound made the decision to scrap the season. Do I wish it didn't happen? Dang right I do. No director could, or should, ever want to kill a season, especially so close to the start of the summer. Finding places where my kids could march was near impossible. But, thanks to a host of corps that opened their arms and welcomed our kids, many were still able to march.

Now, for my soapbox: :tongue::tongue::w00t:

I am really tired of reading b.s. on here from annonymous members of this website who choose to inflame a situation without knowledge of the situation. For whatever reason, ItsOnTheField, you make your assertions as if you know what's going on, while not have the guts to sign your name. While that's your right, I still think it chicken (insert proper expletive here).

Instead of making a concerted effort to find out from the source (I have never shyed away from explaining what happened), folks on here love to fire out their ignorance, then get all defensive by pleading that it's only their opinion.

Well, instead of simply letting crud like this be uttered, I've decided to speak up. I've signed my name to my posts, because I stand by my words.

Well stated Marc!! I agree that soooo many on here claim to know everything about everything, but in actuality all they try and do is find the negative with the situations. Wish they all could spend a few days walking in our shoes. It was great to see you at finals week and good luck with 2009. If there is anything that Teal can do to help you all out, just let me know.

See you in a few weeks in Vegas!!!

Randy