2000s - New Era of Phenomenal Hornlines

The only problem with moving them up to 2nd that I have is even after for being stationary for so much of the show (it really is an obscene amount), they start bailing out at the end of show. With all the rest time in the show, they really should not have had any endurance issues at the end. Another problem is that much of the harder playing was restricted to small ensembles/solo's while the hornline was tacet. There was just too much to pick at to have them be any higher. Cadets were very good no doubt, but people fail to see why they placed as low as they did.

i don't like derailing topics, but i can't let this pass.

being "stationary" has nothing to do with the brass score. a hornline could theoretically stand in an arc and play their show and win brass.

there were exactly three small ensembles in the show. the members of these ensembles were chosen based on what the drill dictated.

ever tried to balance a ballad when the horns are spread 20 to 20 and front to back while doing guard work and lying on the ground? think that's not demand?

you never even mention in your quest to prove demand that the line successfully played in four different styles and performed one of the most dense brass books this decade. if you can't hear the fireworks in this show, you just aren't trying.

back on topic: the hornlines are getting better because the horns are musical instruments now! amazing!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't like derailing topics, but i can't let this pass.

being "stationary" has nothing to do with the brass score. a hornline could theoretically stand in an arc and play their show and win brass.

I agree with your point, and your post...except for this. Right or wrong, I'm fairly certain that brass judges take simultaneous physical demand into account when judging, and I would be a hypocrite not to point that out, especially given my stance on the cavies in recent years. I'm not 100% sure this is true...but im fairly certain, having listened to a few tapes over the years, that this is how its done.

Technically, the new lines are very good and I agree with the level of quality spread. On the other hand, if you had heard the great g lines of the past, something is definately lacking in the bflat corps. Just a drummer speaking...

I think that hornlines have become better technically over the last several years, but I really enjoyed the sound of the G horns back in the day. It had a flare the the Bb's don't get. It's not that they aren't good, I just have to disagree that they are better than the years before the Bb hornlines. I think it took much more time to find the center of pitch and the tendencies of the G bugle. These are issues that the members of today don't have to deal with. The hornlines of old made do with what they had and were in some cases magnificent in spite of playing on much inferior equipment. Just my 2 cents.

That's worth much more than 2 cents, my friend.

Technically, the new lines are very good and I agree with the level of quality spread. On the other hand, if you had heard the great g lines of the past, something is definately lacking in the bflat corps. Just a drummer speaking...

There is absolutely something lacking.

I'm starting to wonder how much is in the instrumentation and how much is in the approach to playing. For a while during their performance I thought the Cavaliers Alumni Corps was playing on G's. They were not...and I believe they had a hornline comparable in size to many of the top 12 corps. There is still hope...

There is absolutely something lacking.

For this reason, what I would do... just to sit in front of 2007 Cadets for their opening hit... :thumbup::tongue::lol: That's a Bb line worthy of G bugle attitude.

I'm sorry, but I just can't jump on board with saying the Cavaliers hornlines of the 2000's are at the top.

I mean, from a design standpoint alone, how many of those shows can you jam out to on a stereo from the 2000's? If anyone does, I would be surprised, well, other than alum's.

And as far as proper playing technique and producing a good sound at all times/dynamic ranges, I just can't jump on board with that.

I think the only corps that have had a consistent sound, or have improved throughout this decade can be the Cadets, the Blue Devils, and Crown.

I just have a hard time calling some groups great if there is such blatant inconsistency in sound.

To each his own I guess...

Amen! :thumbup: