2000s - New Era of Phenomenal Hornlines

Eh....give em 2nd at least then. I dont really know bd 01, but i have seen that cadets show, and even if their was some down time (like what plenty of corps get away with nowadays)....they still were moving a ton in ypg and farandole

The only problem with moving them up to 2nd that I have is even after for being stationary for so much of the show (it really is an obscene amount), they start bailing out at the end of show. With all the rest time in the show, they really should not have had any endurance issues at the end. Another problem is that much of the harder playing was restricted to small ensembles/solo's while the hornline was tacet. There was just too much to pick at to have them be any higher. Cadets were very good no doubt, but people fail to see why they placed as low as they did.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because they stood still, walked and laid down for half the show. It really hurt the difficulty of their show. Also BD was pristine in 01.

Don't get me wrong. i am a big BD fan. One of my top 3 favorite Corps. And as much as i enjoyed Awayday Blue, i just thought that the Cadets brass book was way more difficult and they performed the heck out of it. IMO, 01 Cadets, 04 BD, and 08 Crown are the best brass lines of this decade.

The only problem with moving them up to 2nd that I have is even after for being stationary for so much of the show (it really is an obscene amount), they start bailing out at the end of show. With all the rest time in the show, they really should not have had any endurance issues at the end. Another problem is that much of the harder playing was restricted to small ensembles/solo's while the hornline was tacet. There was just too much to pick at to have them be any higher. Cadets were very good no doubt, but people fail to see why they placed as low as they did.

I don't know just seemed like Mr. Steve Calhoun decided to see things differently finals night for the top 4.

The best thing about Bb brass is that it allows the lower-level corps to sound good. Top-tier brass programs have improved, but a lot of those lines sounded good on Gs as well because they had more mature, experienced musicians who could adapt to the new horns. The lower level corps' members didn't have that experience and maturity and ability to figure out a new instrument as well/quickly, so they struggled more. The result is that since going to Bb brass, the top brass programs have improved significantly but the lower level brass programs have improved IMMENSELY. I think it is one of the main reasons we are seeing such great quality from top to bottom in the last few years and why corps are so competitive throughout the activity.

The best thing about Bb brass is that it allows the lower-level corps to sound good. Top-tier brass programs have improved, but a lot of those lines sounded good on Gs as well because they had more mature, experienced musicians who could adapt to the new horns. The lower level corps' members didn't have that experience and maturity and ability to figure out a new instrument as well/quickly, so they struggled more. The result is that since going to Bb brass, the top brass programs have improved significantly but the lower level brass programs have improved IMMENSELY. I think it is one of the main reasons we are seeing such great quality from top to bottom in the last few years and why corps are so competitive throughout the activity.

I couldn't agree more on this point, but I still miss the G sound of the upper tier corps.

Interesting how people have only really mentioned the top 4ish corps. I totally understand why this is cause these groups are all great but there are other corps that sound great too. Just saying

I think 04 BD is one of the best hornlines ever in dci.