2000s - New Era of Phenomenal Hornlines

Not sure where you have been, but Crown has had that kind of sound since 2004

And it was starting to happen in 2003. Between design and instruction, Crown, IMHO, has one of the best brass programs around, and people should take notes on what they're doing.

The worst thing though, is the fact that many talk about how big their sound was simply because they had 80 horns, which anyone with half a brain about wind instruments would know that the only way to make 80 horns sound like 80 horns is playing with proper technique and intonation, and if either of those are missing, they most certainly will NOT sound like 80 horns.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And it was starting to happen in 2003. Between design and instruction, Crown, IMHO, has one of the best brass programs around, and people should take notes on what they're doing.

The worst thing though, is the fact that many talk about how big their sound was simply because they had 80 horns, which anyone with half a brain about wind instruments would know that the only way to make 80 horns sound like 80 horns is playing with proper technique and intonation, and if either of those are missing, they most certainly will NOT sound like 80 horns.

The difference between 80 horns and 72 is...um...not a whole lot :smile:

The difference between 80 horns and 72 is...um...not a whole lot :smile:

Well no ####, I was simply making a point to the morons that think that they only had a big sound because of 80 horns, and that has been discussed at great length on here.

Well no ####, I was simply making a point to the morons that think that they only had a big sound because of 80 horns, and that has been discussed at great length on here.

Yeah...um, i was pretty much agreeing with you guys. Take a deep breath and calm down...

Hmm...i like his data better than yours. Mainly because you point out the irrelavent fact that BD won more shows over the summer. Cavies beat both of you at finals...but what does that have to do with who was the better hornline...nothing. Pointing out things like that make you seem like a petulant child (we won THIS many times). You both obviously marched in 2001 BD and Cadets, so I doubt either of you can make a good judgement on how the other sounded...so its basically a pissing match. Just my 2 cents...

Here are the real numbers...

BD and The Cadets went head-to-head 22 times in 2001. Blue Devils won 15 of them from a brass standpoint (from an overall standpoint they won 21 of them and tied the last one). Why is this relevant? Because a poster had alleged that The Cadets had consistently been beating Blue Devils that year in brass, and thus the Finals score was essentially more of an anomaly and not reflective of the general trend than a legitimate outcome. However, the actual recaps from that year show that the results are closer to the other way around. Those numbers DO have relevance in a discussion over who was perceived as the best hornline that year.

I should add that from the post I am referencing about The Cadets beating Blue Devils, the poster specifically mentioned the last month except Semis and Finals as well as alleging that the spread was something like a half-point at each contest. It is true that The Cadets beat Blue Devils by 0.6 at ONE show on July 22, 2001. However, the next three shows in a row where the Cadets hornline was scored higher showed spreads of 0.2, 0.1, and 0.1, respectively. Also, of the other 3 shows where The Cadets won brass, they never had a spread greater than 0.3, meanwhile Blue Devils had aspread as high as 1.4 at one time, 1.0 on one occassion, and 0.6 or 0.7 on 6 other occassions. To mea that is more an indication that The Cadets did some catching up over the summer than it it the Blue Devils being temporarily favored.

However, more to the point, it is important to note that (as mentioned above) in the three shows heading into Semis Finals between Cadets and BD, Cadets won by no more than 0.2. At Semis Blue Devils won by 0.2 and then 0.4 at Finals. What am I getting at? It's not like there was a huge difference in quality and performance between the two at the end of the year. Sure, the judges ultimately favored BD's quality and performance to The Cadets', but not to such a degree that mentioning The Cadets OR the Blue Devils as a great hornline of that year is an asanine comment.

Edited by pags

BD and The Cadets went head-to-head 22 times in 2001. Blue Devils won 15 of them from a brass standpoint (from an overall standpoint they won 21 of them and tied the last one). Why is this relevant? Because a poster had alleged that The Cadets had consistently been beating Blue Devils that year in brass, and thus the Finals score was essentially more of an anomaly and not reflective of the general trend than a legitimate outcome. However, the actual recaps from that year show that the results are closer to the other way around. Those numbers DO have relevance in a discussion over who was perceived as the best hornline that year.

Both had outstanding hornlines, Blue Devils were a bit more consistent. Finals night, BD just let go and presented their show with such intensity, all the while never letting go of the dynamics and keeping the last note as fresh as the first.

Cadets seemed to lose a little steam and had a bit more "down time" while presenting their outstanding book. I also feel BD had much more layers of dynamics going at the same time, and more diversity in presentation, putting them over Cadets.

Good year for both corps, Quarterfinals night ? Cadets gave a performance of a lifetime, one that can be labeled legendary.

Geoffrey

Yes they do. Thats not what devtrev posted, but it is very interesting, and a lot more relevant than who won more shows. Like I said, i wasnt there, and I dont usually bother checking recaps, so i can still learn things...

edit...and you just added a bunch more interesting stuff. Then again, this thread isnt really about this is it :smile:

Edited by salad315

Lol...i guess tying 2 years in a row isnt a good feeling :thumbup:

heh. my roommate (marched devils that year) and i (cadets) had a very good-natured bet going into the summer that who ever scored higher at dci would get the bigger room in our new apartment after we got home. tying made it difficult.