2000s - New Era of Phenomenal Hornlines

Arguing over this is kind of pointless since everyone really kind of hears the ensemble, not a field brass sample that the Brass Judges hear.

Judges are quite human: Check out Bluecoats brass score from last year. If numbers can jump that much by a finals weekend judge, I doubt arguing over on a forum would make much sense especially since everyone is going off recordings and audience seats. The brass performance judge is on the field taking samples.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arguing over this is kind of pointless since everyone really kind of hears the ensemble, not a field brass sample that the Brass Judges hear.

Judges are quite human: Check out Bluecoats brass score from last year. If numbers can jump that much by a finals weekend judge, I doubt arguing over on a forum would make much sense especially since everyone is going off recordings and audience seats. The brass performance judge is on the field taking samples.

Oh Jeff Harper.

I can go with Pags and G. Thanks for the useful info guys!

Sorry for overreacting on "devs" post. The needless badmouthing of The Cadets 01 hornline put a sour taste in my mouth from the beginning. I'll try do better next time to not exagerrate some of my own discussions.

Not sure where you have been, but Crown has had that kind of sound since 2004

not quite home slice

Not sure where you have been, but Crown has had that kind of sound since 2004

I wouldn't say they've had "that kind of sound" since 04. I think the foundation they've been building on has been there since 03, and it's gotten even better, and more importantly, more consistent every year. I notice their ability to keep up that great brass sound on the move has gotten much better in the past 2 years especially.

My top hornlines for the 00s are as follows:

00 BD

00 Cadets

02 Cavies

02 BD

03 BD

04 BD

05 Cadets

06 BD

07 BD

07 Phantom

07 Bluecoats

08 Phantom

08 Crown

08 BD

I guess I never did chime in on my favorites...

2000: Blue Devils

2001: Blue Devils

2002: Cavaliers

2003: Cadets

2004: Blue Devils

2005: Bluecoats

2006: Crown

2007: Blue Devils and Crown

2008: Blue Devils and Phantom, with Crown an easily acceptable substitute for either one

Hrothy's Favorite Hornlines:

(Recordings)

2000: Cadets

2001: Cadets

2003: Phantom Regiment

2004: Cavaliers

(Live)

2005: Cadets

2006: Carolina Crown

2007: Carolina Crown

2008: Carolina Crown

The only thing "new" about 2000+ is the Bb thing. There have always been, and will always be, phenomenal hornlines.

The B-flats have done a few positive things:

1) Made every corps a little bit better (Johnny and Suzy don't have to worry about that big ol' nasty G-thing anymore. "There's no place like home." Some of the G bugles had geometry based on Bb, which made them hard to play in tune.)

2) Made corps a little softer (I think the 72/80+ member hornlines of today bear this out, finally, case closed. We need these 72/80+ hornlines to match the volume/projection of the great G bugle hornlines, which had 58/64/68/ members, and yes some 72.)

3) Made the market a little more bearable (corps can re-sell Bb to a lot more markets than before)

I feel sorry for the kids of today who will never be able to stand in front of a '93 Phantom Regmenet, an '84 Blue Devils, an '87/88/89 Santa Clara Vanguard. To experience PHENOMENAL G Bugles first hand. It can't be described, even though everyone tries on DCP.

I'm not saying it's better, just different. Thicker, deeper, physical...you could feel it, not hear it. I'm starting to "feel" hornlines again, with the larger hornlines in 2008. I look forward to more corps going with 80 members in the hornline (24/16/24/16). Thank you, Crown, for having the foresight, knowledge, and courage to go for it out of the blocks.

2000: Blue Devils

2001: Cadets

2004: Blue Devils

2005: Phantom Regiment

2007: Bluecoats

2008: Carloina Crown

PS- In my view, The Cadets had the best hornline in 01. There was no way we should of beat them in brass and I still don't see how they weren't beating BD. The 01 Cadets hornline is probably the best I've heard this decade. Also, 07 Bluecoats line is very underrated which is a shame.