2009 Could be Carolina Crown's year

Sorry for the rambling thoughts, but I'm listening :rolleyes: to Crown's new studio(outdoor) recordings from 2008, and thought I would share...

Pure speculation here( I know we are 10 months out), but with recent staff changes in other corps, I'm wondering if 2009 could be the Year that Crown really competes for a Championship. Their design staff gets it, and they were probably just a tick or two off from being there this year. The drums will need to step it up a bit, but that is do-able. And the visual design will need a few tweaks, but nothing major.

Great beats and notes, and a much improved visual show. Mix the talent of the 2008 corps, and the awesome design from 2007... the sky is the limit.

I know we're still on the Regiment high, but the Regiment/Blue Devils/battle next year could be epic.

Thoughts?

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's probably a corps that has a ton of rings under their belt, that placed for their standards a bit more disappointingly in 2008 that will come out of the gates like Mad Dogs next summer. This off season will certainly be the rattle in the cage they need.

And Crown? That'll probably be the first corps under their target list.

Edited by ApocalypseTissue

Nope.

Two words: Competitive Inertia

Plus they aged out a ton of people.

So did BD, Cadets, Cavies and Vanguard (among others.)

The only thing constant is change ... I believe Crown does have a real shot in '09, and would have them on my short list of corps that I would love to see win.

Edited by DCIHasBeen

So did BD, Cadets, Cavies and Vanguard (among others.)

The only thing constant is change ...

I'd have to agree... everyone has to start over... every year. Staff stability plays a huge role in the competetiveness of a corps... and if Kevin can keep his group together, they have a real shot.

Crown has been on a very purposeful curve to the top. It has been a very deliberate plan from the start. Put off instant gratification for long term stability and eventual competitiveness. If they maintain the rate at which they've been rising up the ranks this whole time (and I don't see any reason why they wont) then it could very well be this year. When I look at how they've built thmselves up over the years I see one of the smartest growth plans that I've ever seen in DCI.

Two words: Competitive Inertia

Read all about it here, and then tell me they still have a chance:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...howtopic=107285

Crown is certainly on the right track when it comes to building CI, but the best they can hope for next year is 2nd or 3rd.

I haven't done the research, but my instinct is that they'll probably GO DOWN next year. I have no prediction as to how far, but I'd put money on it. Many examples of corps finisnhing 4-6 and never reaching the top 3. (Glassmen, Crossmen, Boston, Bloo). Crown is much more likely to finish 4-7 than to join the elite top 3. Granted, if they're REALLY SOMETHING SPECIAL, they might get a 2nd or 3rd place finish, to set them up for 2010, but they WILL NOT WIN NEXT YEAR NO MATTER HOW GOOD THEY ARE.

Also, Cadets are slotted to win next year. Book it.

Read all about it here, and then tell me they still have a chance:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...howtopic=107285

Crown is certainly on the right track when it comes to building CI, but the best they can hope for next year is 2nd or 3rd.

I haven't done the research, but my instinct is that they'll probably GO DOWN next year. I have no prediction as to how far, but I'd put money on it. Many examples of corps finisnhing 4-6 and never reaching the top 3. (Glassmen, Crossmen, Boston, Bloo). Crown is much more likely to finish 4-7 than to join the elite top 3. Granted, if they're REALLY SOMETHING SPECIAL, they might get a 2nd or 3rd place finish, to set them up for 2010, but they WILL NOT WIN NEXT YEAR NO MATTER HOW GOOD THEY ARE.

Also, Cadets are slotted to win next year. Book it.

And before this year, no one had ever placed 3rd in quarters, 2nd in semi's and 1st in finals. What's your point?

I would argue that rather than looking at placements, you look at the scores and the scoring breakdowns. With a 96.8, Carolina Crown has the highest 4th place finish in DCI history (Previous was a 96.4 by the Cadets in 1999, who went on to win the following year).

In the past 18 years (not counting 2008) the average score of a 4th place finishing corps was 95.1. That's a full 1.7 spread over the average. I think an argument can be made that Crown's score was more in the 3rd place range.

As for having to place 3rd... In the past 18 years, there have been four World Class corps that have placed 4th and come back to win the championship the following year...

1994 Blue Devils

2000 Cadets

2005 Cadets

2008 Phantom Regiment

Edited by Newseditor44