2009 Could be Carolina Crown's year

A very nice gentleman on the Crown board of directors told me at semi's that they were only aging out 18 people. If that is truly the case and their retention rate is high, they should do very well in 2009.

He must not have been at the banquet the night before, when 32 age-outs received their "crowns".

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would LOVE to see a battle for the top between Cadets and Crown. Crown's show was excellent this year and I have faith they can put out a show next year that will be just as competitive. Cadets will be out for blood next year and I'm sure they'll make up for this year by putting out an excellent product. One can only hope because like I implied earlier, BD, Cavies, and even Phantom won't go down without a fight.

He must not have been at the banquet the night before, when 32 age-outs received their "crowns".

Article with the names of age outs:

Carolina Crown Age Out Banquet

If I had to bet whether Crown finishes in 2009, higher or lower than 2008... I would put all my money on lower, no questions asked.

I would love to see them keep moving up... but it's hard to stay up there. Bluecoats anyone?

If Vegas were giving 4th place for Crown, I too would take the under (read: lower). Didn't we have this same thread two years ago, involving the Bluecoats?

Compared to their 2008 placements, take the under on Phantom and Cavaliers as well - Phantom just because they have nowhere else to go - but take the over on Cadets and push at worst on the Blue Devils. I think if Crown sticks in the top five, especially if the top five is as close as last season, that will still be a very successful year placement-wise.

A very nice gentleman on the Crown board of directors told me at semi's that they were only aging out 18 people. If that is truly the case and their retention rate is high, they should do very well in 2009.

:rolleyes:

:tongue:

That's why I phrased it the way I did. That is what he told me. He obviously was incorrect by what is now showing on the Crown web-site.

if you look at the list on the web site you will notice the total number is 32 and lets not forget the we increased the total # to 150. Here is the break down of which I think they are in excellent shape with possible returning vets:

1 DM out of 3

14 Brass out of 86 which includes alternates

9 Percussion out of 31

8 Guard out of 38 which includes alternates

Very good possible return percentage :)

if you look at the list on the web site you will notice the total number is 32 and lets not forget the we increased the total # to 150. Here is the break down of which I think they are in excellent shape with possible returning vets:

1 DM out of 3

14 Brass out of 86 which includes alternates

9 Percussion out of 31

8 Guard out of 38 which includes alternates

Very good possible return percentage :)

But if you look at the ageout thread this is one of the higher numbers (although several of the top corps are not listed). I'm not saying they are falling apart but this is not an area of great advantage for CC.

Why not?

Sure it could be their year...will it be?

No one can tell.

I'd consider marching with Crown next year...if I wasn't older than dirt.

Ditto !!!

I think Carolina can medal next year, just not Gold.

Rumor has it there will be more drama coming out of Rosemont, so let's all sit back and watch it unfold. I think Cavaliers will be off the medal podium next year.

Cadets "came out with a vengeance" this year, as some put it, and they got 5th again. They, along with the Cavaliers and SCV, are going to have to re-invent themselves as their style of shows is stale (not much difference for them in the last 7 years). In 3 years, Cadets have gotten 5th twice. Cavaliers have gotten 3rd twice. Meanwhile BD has gotten 3rd, 1st, 2nd - Phantom has gotten 2nd, 4th, 1st, Crown has jumped up to 4th, Bluecoats have pulled ahead in finals above one of the "top 5" twice now.

In order for the following to have more success next year, I suggest the following:

SCV needs to figure out who they are. I think they have a huge identity crisis. I think Pearson getting canned might help. You need to get rid of Key as well........and Weber. Key's music is not good, and his arrangements are only slightly better. Pete's drill, while good, is very much the same throughout. I can see a Pete Weber drill from a mile away, but doesn't offer much in the way of different flavors - just one good flavor. I like a variety! :) 7th place..............I don't like where you are heading. The streak of finals better not be in jeopardy!

Cavaliers needs to start playing real music again. (I.e. success with shows like The Planets). Saucedo gone - will be a huge help. Drumline is good, they can give PR a run for their money next year maybe.

Cadets need to stop trying to be a BOA High school band and start going back to being a drum corps. Quit with the stupid storylines........we are not watching Lifetime TV.

Crown needs to take this success and come out with a more indepth and less cheesy show (and don't copy all of Phantom's past music - I know you are trying to play the classics like them - but there's more to choose from)

BD needs to not be absurd again! It got you more success than I thought it would have. (You would have not been 3rd place in 06 with this show). Please play more musically and less jazzy in your face! It's good at some points, but not 85% of the show.

PR needs to not let their 2nd win stump them on show ideas. Completely take it out of your head when you are thinking of show ideas for 2009. The trophy shouldn't affect what you want to do! Also, just because your drumline was hot - keep it up. I heard you were August clean in June - make it a goal to be August clean in April this year!

Coats - You've surprised fans 2 out of 3 years in finals by passing up a perennial "top 5" although this year it was passing a Top 5 to get into 6th (thank you Carolina). I think you are trying to be Cadets-Lite - and I don't know if it will get you in the Top 5 or medal contention. Just as Carolina is the cutsy counterpart of Regiment - you are the cutsy side of Cadets. Regiment got 1st and Carolina got 4th, Cadets got 5th and you got 6th.........see the pattern?

Blue Stars - I'll be honest - I think you got just a bit more love than deserved because the judges got excited you were back in Finals. Congrats on it - but I think you will, at best, keep the same position next year.

Boston, Blue Knights - I'm just going to lump you together..........please be more exciting. You are always good and always hang around 8-11th place in finals. Boston you have so few age-outs.......make a good run next year - be BOLD - do something exciting and different!

Madison - Watch some old Madison DVDs. That's it.

Crossmen - Clean Clean Clean.............you have most potential out of the 12-15th place corps I think.

Colts - do something similar to 07..........08 was not good design. Probably played better than Madison - but visual and design killed you.