2009 Could be Carolina Crown's year

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Carolina Crown was beating Phantom this season.

2. Phantom won DCI this season.

:rolleyes:

Bluecoats beat everybody at one point in 2007. Ended up finishing 7th and 6th the last two years. This arguement really doesn't hold up.

1. Carolina Crown was beating Phantom this season.

2. Phantom won DCI this season.

Phantom beat Crown eight times prior to the World Championships. Spreads were 2.2, 2.9, 3.2, 2.0, 1.3, 0 575, 0.75, and 0.425.

Crown beat Phantom just twice (San Antonio and Hattiesburg) by a combined total for both those shows of 0.75 (0.25 and 0.50).

Also, Cadets are slotted to win next year. Book it.

Neither Cadets, nor anyone else, are slotted to win anything. If anything was proven in 2008, it was that judges are looking toward fresh faces, new approaches, and outstanding quality.

The Cadets have "Played the game, won the game, and changed the game" ... 20 years ago. Say what you want about competitive inertia, but "creative entropy" is also a factor.

The Cadets are the past ... Can they reinvent themselves and come back into the game as a top player. We'll see.

In the meantime I'm betting on corps like Glassmen, Bluestars, Bluecoats, Crown and Phantom Regiment to all be defining the game next year.

Neither Cadets, nor anyone else, are slotted to win anything. If anything was proven in 2008, it was that judges are looking toward fresh faces, new approaches, and outstanding quality.
Outstanding Quality is never in question. All of the Top 3 have it; some years even more (07 was particularly tight) IOW, it has ALWAYS been rewarded.

The question is: WHo gets the call when the quality is so similar? CI says the corps that has done it before gets the break.

If you are correct in your "fresh faces" et al argument, then CI would be officialy debunked, and replaced with "A corps is LESS Likely to win if they've won before, assuming the competing corps are 'fresher' and equally qualifed.

I hope you're right, seriously. YOU HAVE NO IDEA how right I hope you are!

But I'm not buying it until it happens.