2009 Could be Carolina Crown's year

But if you look at the ageout thread this is one of the higher numbers (although several of the top corps are not listed). I'm not saying they are falling apart but this is not an area of great advantage for CC.

It would be an issue if that was a huge number, but I wouldn't be too worried. Sounds about average to me.

They are a top tier corps, one of the hottest things since sliced bread. Recruiting top notch talent wont be too difficult.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love how everyone is so high on the Cadets for next year. One minute all of you can't stand Hoppy and think the corps is ###### because its moving to electronics, or their old and tired, or they're no longer innovative, or because its just not their time anymore. The next minute they are the a "lock" to win the 2009 title.

Would you people please make up your minds already...

If Vegas were giving 4th place for Crown, I too would take the under (read: lower). Didn't we have this same thread two years ago, involving the Bluecoats?

Compared to their 2008 placements, take the under on Phantom and Cavaliers as well - Phantom just because they have nowhere else to go - but take the over on Cadets and push at worst on the Blue Devils. I think if Crown sticks in the top five, especially if the top five is as close as last season, that will still be a very successful year placement-wise.

People are high on the Cadets for 2009 because :

-they are playing Bernstein again.

-they are hoping for a return to a more traditional drum corps show in an anniversary season.

I'm not sure of any others, but I believe that Crown barely nipped Phantom at Monroe, LA as well (I was there). These would be my 2 favorite shows of the year, BTW.

There was no percussion judge at the DCI Hattiesburg show. The Music GE score was doubled in place of a percussion score. Thus Crown edged out Phantom. Not exactly "beating" them.

There was no percussion judge at the DCI Hattiesburg show. The Music GE score was doubled in place of a percussion score. Thus Crown edged out Phantom. Not exactly "beating" them.

Umm, they beat them. Sorry...that's what its called when someone scores higher than you :)

I love "yeah...buts" :tongue:

I love how everyone is so high on the Cadets for next year. One minute all of you can't stand Hoppy and think the corps is ###### because its moving to electronics, or their old and tired, or they're no longer innovative, or because its just not their time anymore. The next minute they are the a "lock" to win the 2009 title.

Would you people please make up your minds already...

That's precisely why we all think they're a lock for next year. I'll admit a "lock" doesn't mean much these days since things really can change pretty quick, but the point is that somewhere around Orlando it started feeling like George Hopkins might have gotten the message that The Cadets might not be heading in as productive of a direction as he originally thought, and everything we've seen and heard about 2009 is all geared towards putting the Cadets back on track from where they left off.

DCI monkey is right.

Carolina Crown had a higher score than Phantom when there was no percussion judge, and beat them.

Phantom Regiment had a higher score the rest of the year against Carolina when there was a percussion judge, and beat them........more than once.

Those are true statements. Thank you for speaking the truth DCI Monkey.

Read all about it here, and then tell me they still have a chance:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...howtopic=107285

Crown is certainly on the right track when it comes to building CI, but the best they can hope for next year is 2nd or 3rd.

I haven't done the research, but my instinct is that they'll probably GO DOWN next year. I have no prediction as to how far, but I'd put money on it. Many examples of corps finisnhing 4-6 and never reaching the top 3. (Glassmen, Crossmen, Boston, Bloo). Crown is much more likely to finish 4-7 than to join the elite top 3. Granted, if they're REALLY SOMETHING SPECIAL, they might get a 2nd or 3rd place finish, to set them up for 2010, but they WILL NOT WIN NEXT YEAR NO MATTER HOW GOOD THEY ARE.

Also, Cadets are slotted to win next year. Book it.

Competitive Inertia is dumb.

1. Bluecoats, Crossmen, Glassmen and Boston have never scored a 96.8. Nor, have they ever even been remotely close to the top spot come finals night. Crown scored a 96.8 - 1.325 down from Phantom finals night. Any other year and Crown would have likely been top 3. What Crown did in 2008 (in terms of design and execution) was far superior to any product ever put out by Bluecoats, Crossmen, Glassmen and Boston. Those four were top 5 corps, not championship caliber corps. 2008 Crown was a championship caliber corps.

2. In 1988 we won the title, after finishing 6th in 1987 and 7th in 1986. The last time Madison was top 3 was 1981. Are you saying we somehow had competitive inertia in 1988 just because we won the title in 1975? If so, that proves how flawed the competitive inertia argument is.

3. In 1994 BD won the title (with a huge score) after placing 4th the year before and never really challenging for the title since 1988. How'd BD have competitive inertia in 1994?

4. The Cadets have risen from 4th and 5th place numerous times to win the title.

5. The Cavies rose from 4th in 1994 to win the title in 1995.

6. Regiment nearly won in 1989 (with a huge score) after placing 6th in 1988 and 10th in 1986. Explain how they had competitive inertia in 1989?

The bottom line - Crown is now a championship caliber corps. They have the staff, the talent, the design and the execution. All top tier. Those are the necessary ingredients. I have no doubt that 2008 was the beginning of big things for Crown.

Crown will be our next new World Champion.

Edited by gellio