2009 Could be Carolina Crown's year

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I firmly believe that CI is only in the minds of spectators. Oh, and it may be in the minds of members of underachieving corps. The best corps, with the best show, with the best performance will win. CI is an excuse.

I firmly believe that CI is only in the minds of spectators. Oh, and it may be in the minds of members of underachieving corps. The best corps, with the best show, with the best performance will win. CI is an excuse.

Really?... really?

I guess, if you say so...

all I know is I can that I can see no reason that BD should have gotten in the top 8 this year, much less almost win. There show was just plain boring- no real sense of continuity besides people pretending almost to fall over. and the sticks. They were clean, yes, but it's easy to clean drill that need not halt together because everyone stumbles around for 'GE'... andthe music was OK but not great...

As opposed to CC, who had a show that, again, if not all that sensical, at least FLOWED and entertained the audience.

not to be a flamer, but I look at 03 BD, or even 92, a show that wasn't all that fantastic (or 06, which didn't do a whole lot for me), and at least it was a show with a sense of purpose- there was a definite reason things were hapening the way they did. with this year I feel like the show was for no one but the judges... and it just failed to do anything for the audience- at least for me and everyone I talked to.

all I know is I can that I can see no reason that BD should have gotten in the top 8 this year, much less almost win. There show was just plain boring- no real sense of continuity besides people pretending almost to fall over. and the sticks. They were clean, yes, but it's easy to clean drill that need not halt together because everyone stumbles around for 'GE'... andthe music was OK but not great...

While I wouldn't put them out of the Top 8, I agree with you in that I did not enjoy their show at all. Running from position to position reminds me of a band scatter drill. I miss Downey's arrangements from earlier times.

Crown will be our next new World Champion.

I don't see it, but believe what you will.

Can we have a discussion without throwing insults please?
Competitive Inertia is dumb.

I'm gonna go ahead and call you out on this one. ^

Brain...shrinking.......intelligence...failing...........dcp...rotting my soul!!!!

We definitely get way to wrapped up in this mindless debate. Bottom line: Judges will select a corps that they score higher than the rest. Generally, the better a corps performs, the greater chance they have of winning the judges. Competitive inertia? There's probably some truth to it. But cripes, why don't we wait until there is a measurable standard by which we can base our arguments before we jump to such extremes as "Crown WILL NOT win." or "Phantom will definitely win" and so on and so forth. This thread is killing me.

etc, etc...see where I'm going? You seem to be implying that the judges actually thought Crown had a shot in 2008! And therefore, they have an even more legit shot in 2009!

After listening to some judges tapes from the big names that judged finals week, I can say that yes quite a few judges thought Crown had a shot in 2008.

I have and it's dumb! The 1988 Madison Scouts had no competitive inertia. We were no better off than the 1988 Star of Indiana.

The reason corps like Cadets, Cavies and BD are consistently on the top is because of talent (staff and members) and programming. THAT'S IT!!!!! Crown is now on their level from that standpoint. Period! The reason Madison won in 1988 was programming and talent. The reason Star rose is programming and talent. The reason Garfield rose is programming and talent. The reason the Bluecoats rose is programming and talent. Should I go on and on?

Your theory is heavily flawed. The 2009 Carolina Crown will start the season in a MUCH better position than the 1988 Madison Scouts, 1990 Cadets, 1994 BD, etc....

This statement is absurd. You must have no faith in the judging community. Had Crown performed the best Saturday night, they would have won. Same with anyone else in the top 12. Give me one instance where it was blantantly obviously that a corps that should have placed higher was boxed in in a lower placement. You can't.

So is if I understand you correctly, you're saying that the best corps with the best show will win, am I right? So this means that Pioneer, a corps with years of coming in last or pretty close, can come out next year and win. Sorry, but there is not a mentally sound person in drum corps that will say that. So your arguement is heavily flawed, too.

No disrespect to the Team from Milwaukee :tongue:

I'm gonna go ahead and call you out on this one. ^

PWNED!

I think most of this conversation is a waste of breath...Crown had an incredible product this year there is no denying that. I could care less were they place if the keep producing a product like the last few years. That not only applies to CC but to every corp that produces strong musical productions with Brass and Percussion! Sure the winning corps will excel and win with a complete package but for me the placements don't always tell the story of who's best in the eye's of the fans.

Geez, you know...I'm as impressed with Donnie Van Doren's work as about anybody, but this is about to be the year of the honk. 2008 was Blue Stars. 2009 will be Crown's. Just sayin'. Would I like to see Crown win one? Yeah, absolutely. But geez. Just...geez. Do we have to listen to it for the next 12 months?

Good luck Crown. Knock us out!