Would corps like Blue Devils, Cavaliers and Cadets

Looking at all the members of lower placing corps that leave to pursue a top 6 corps, I was wondering, do you think if corps like Pioneer, Troopers, Mandarins, Pacific Crest, Colts and Spirit weren't around, do you think the level of the top 6 corps would drop some?

I have seen members leave Colts, and march in a top 3 corps the following season. I have heard of members leaving after a year in Pioneer, and then marching a top 12 corps the next. These kids are gaining valuable experience, and then using it in the top performing corps.

I know the staffs at the top corps are excellent, but if they didn't gain all the experienced performers that already have valuable knowledge of corps, do you think they would still be getting the same results year after year?

For example if a member had marched Capital Sound, and then marched Pioneer, and then marched Colts and then went to Cavaliers, think of the verasatility in the performance level of that individual. Cavaliers are going to be getting a well developed performer.

I would love to know the numbers of each of the top 6 corps, and find out how many members marched previously with another corps.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at all the members of lower placing corps that leave to pursue a top 6 corps, I was wondering, do you think if corps like Pioneer, Troopers, Mandarins, Pacific Crest, Colts and Spirit weren't around, do you think the level of the top 6 corps would drop some?

I have seen members leave Colts, and march in a top 3 corps the following season. I have heard of members leaving after a year in Pioneer, and then marching a top 12 corps the next. These kids are gaining valuable experience, and then using it in the top performing corps.

I know the staffs at the top corps are excellent, but if they didn't gain all the experienced performers that already have valuable knowledge of corps, do you think they would still be getting the same results year after year?

For example if a member had marched Capital Sound, and then marched Pioneer, and then marched Colts and then went to Cavaliers, think of the verasatility in the performance level of that individual. Cavaliers are going to be getting a well developed performer.

I would love to know the numbers of each of the top 6 corps, and find out how many members marched previously with another corps.

...I can see your point.

The top corps have the most talent to choose from because of the large numbers of kids that try out, but I can agree that someone who didnt make it into a top corp can go to the 'next tier' of corps, try out, play/learn for a season and then go back to the top corp as a better player.

Its logical.

But, as I see it, kids often dont make the top corp because they are not prepared for the tryout. Its demanding!

Would the talent drop for the top corps if the corps you mentioned no longer existed? Maybe not, because the kids trying out are more educated in music or dance than before. They dont need the extra year of pratice to make the top corp.

On the other hand, we need the above mentioned corps because there are a lot of kids who want to be in drum corp, need to be in corp and should be in corp because of their dedication and heart.

Luckily, we have a place for EVERYONE in drum corps.

PLEASE SUPPORT ALL CORPS THIS WINTER - we want and need ALL OF THEM BACK!

The answer is yes....as an example...BD and SCV both pushed each other very hard in the late 70-80s...back when Troopers and Spirit were both still fairly strong....but they didn't push BD the way SCV did....and even across the country, Garfield pushed BD in the 80s.

In the past yes it is true that many have left the Troopers and have gone to other corps. Half of the 2004 Troopers Drumline became half of the Blue Devils drumline the following year. After the Troopers folded in 2006 many of the members went elsewhere and didn't come back when the Troopers returned.

This year former members of the Troopers were seen in:

THE PHANTOM REGIMENT

CAROLINA CROWN

THE BLUE DEVILS

THE BOSTON CRUSADERS (One of the DM's to be exact)

THE SANTA CLARA VANGUARD

THE BLUECOATS

THE COLTS

THE BLUE KNIGHTS

Now I will say this. Most of the members that went on to these corps did so because of the collapse in 2006. Now the returning rate of members in the Troopers has risen. Less and less are leaving because they all believe that they are becoming contributors to the Troopers revolution. In 2007 the Troopers returned to the field with the largest corps since 1995. They placed 20th. One year later most of those kids returned and put the largest Trooper hornline in history onto the field. They placed 16th. The first semifinals performance since 1995. The Troopers are no longer a "Feeder" corps. If they can make the same stride as they did in 2008 you will see the Troopers in the Top 12 in 2009. They are no longer in the bracket of Pioneer, Mandarins, Academy and Pacific. They have re-entered the arena with the big dogs.

For the Troopers, the answer to your question is, yes..... A few years ago. As far as the future is concerned, the answer is no. Because in a few short years the legend from Casper will be competing with the corps listed above.

In the past yes it is true that many have left the Troopers and have gone to other corps. Half of the 2004 Troopers Drumline became half of the Blue Devils drumline the following year. After the Troopers folded in 2006 many of the members went elsewhere and didn't come back when the Troopers returned.

This year former members of the Troopers were seen in:

THE PHANTOM REGIMENT

CAROLINA CROWN

THE BLUE DEVILS

THE BOSTON CRUSADERS (One of the DM's to be exact)

THE SANTA CLARA VANGUARD

THE BLUECOATS

THE COLTS

THE BLUE KNIGHTS

Now I will say this. Most of the members that went on to these corps did so because of the collapse in 2006. Now the returning rate of members in the Troopers has risen. Less and less are leaving because they all believe that they are becoming contributors to the Troopers revolution. In 2007 the Troopers returned to the field with the largest corps since 1995. They placed 20th. One year later most of those kids returned and put the largest Trooper hornline in history onto the field. They placed 16th. The first semifinals performance since 1995. The Troopers are no longer a "Feeder" corps. If they can make the same stride as they did in 2008 you will see the Troopers in the Top 12 in 2009. They are no longer in the bracket of Pioneer, Mandarins, Academy and Pacific. They have re-entered the arena with the big dogs.

For the Troopers, the answer to your question is, yes..... A few years ago. As far as the future is concerned, the answer is no. Because in a few short years the legend from Casper will be competing with the corps listed above.

Great Post

It takes quite a lot of work to NOT be "feeder corps" these days, but seems it has always happened, and possibly always will. VK and Freelancers used to do a great deal of feeding to No Cal….

:rock:

I personally don't believe so. Sure, many members of smaller/younger/lower placing corps eventually march the corps of their dreams, but considering that a corps like Cavaliers had 700 auditionees last year, those top corps would still fill up their ranks with top-notch talent.

This never gets much publicity, but some times, marchers from corps at the very top leave to march other corps for whatever reason.

Corps is the most team oriented activity I have ever participated in (wrestling, soccer, track and baseball were my other sports). I jumped to a top tier corps for a chance to win. We didn't win DCI, but the view from the top was awesome and the opportunity was a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Lower tier corps need to realize an be comfortable with their role or grow and give people the opportunity to win.

there was a trumpet from troopers last year in glassmen this year

Great performers will be great performers. what about all the 16/17 year olds in cavaliers and blue devils who've never marched anywhere before.

Actually, i'm willing to bet if every corps from 21-8th place folded it would make 7-1 way way more competitive.

Watch out with those words. :rock:

(I actually agree with you, but I don't think it would be overall a healthy thing for the drum corps community.)