DCA 2008 Preliminaries Coverage

uh oh....Kevin is catching up...i better get busy!

great work guys!!!

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand the logistics, but I've been there, done that too. Just feeling a little empathy for Kilties and MCL. It still sounds like a great line-up for tomorrow.

Its only a guess but I believe a twelve corps final when only 7 of them are Eastern based dilutes their ability to control the activity. Fairly typical organizational behavior actually. 1 Eastern corps voting with the non eastern corps can upset the balance.

Edited by Scerpella

Interesting to compare this to the last "standings"

1- 93.238 Buccaneers (Scranton, PA 8/16)

2- 91.425 Empire Statesmen (Scranton, PA 8/16)

3- 91.013 Minnesota Brass (South St. Paul, MN 8/17)

4- 90.850 Caballeros (Scranton, PA 8/16)

5- 90.675 Hurricanes (Scranton, PA 8/16)

6- 86.663 Bushwackers (Scranton, PA 8/16)

7- 86.038 Brigadiers (Scranton, PA 8/16)

8- 85.075 CorpsVets (Alpharetta, GA 8/17)

9- 84.325 Kilties (South St. Paul, MN 8/17)

10- 82.538 Alliance (Alpharetta, GA 8/17)

--Open Class Finalists Cut-Off--

11- 82.375 Crusaders (Scranton, PA 8/16)

12- 80.250 Renegades (Freemont, CA DCI 7/20)

13- 80.238 Music City Legend (Alpharetta, GA 8/17)

14- 79.338 (0.2) Chops, Inc. (South St. Paul, MN 8/17)

15- 77.550 Fusion Core (Kingston, NY 8/9)

16- 77.325 Govenaires (South St. Paul, MN 8/17)

17- 75.538 White Sabers (Kingston, NY 8/9)

18- 73.363 SoCal Dream (Freemont, CA DCI 7/20)

19- 73.075 Grenadiers (Waterloo, NY 8/2)

20- 70.900 (0.3) Carolina Gold (Waterloo, NY 8/2)

21- 70.888 Frontier (South St. Paul, MN 8/17)

22- 69.763 Gulf Coast Sound (Alpharetta, GA 8/17)

23- 66.725 Lakeshoremen (South St. Paul, MN 8/17)

24- 65.925 Sun Devils (Alpharetta, GA 8/17)

25- 62.075 Shenandoah Sound (Alpharetta, GA 8/17

The changes for Kilties and Renegades are the first thing that jump out to me. I realize Renegades are in DCI judging pretty much exclusively but what happened with Kilties score/ranking? Is Midwest DCA that different from finals DCA judging? MBI jumped a good 4 points. (actually a lot of people did...)

Not knocking any corps or their placements, just curious on what looks like a disparity. Could all just be down to the performance on the day, of course.

The rankings 1 week prior to DCA nationally held up fairly consistently except for Kilties who appear to be the only corps that actually lost ground (2 points) For the record, it was our strongest performance of the season coming after 2 very productive weeks of rehearsal. Had Kilties improved at the same level as Cru and CV, they would have contended for the 10th spot.

What are you smoking?

God forbid someone has a different opinion here

I went back and watched all the videos top to bottom. FANTASTIC products on the field. You could hear some rough edges which I assume are due to nerves and mid-afternoon show times. I always hated afternoon shows.

Anyway, I just have to ask a question. No sour grapes here, I'm extremely proud of what my former corps accomplished this year. But how does a corps that obviously tears...REAL BAD in their show get 2nd place? I really don't understand how that works. The tear is quite obvious, check out the video for yourself. Hint...not open class.

It isn't just isolated to DCA 2008 prelims. It happens in DCI too. I've just never quite understood how judges can't pick up a very obvious tear and not make comments or make note when tallying up the scores. There is an obvious inability to keep time and tempo integrity. Players are not showing that they can listen properly to keep from tearing. Conductor's fault? Design fault? Who knows!

well given the numbers i'd say that caption got hit for it.

as for Eastern bias, BS. look at 2nd place at finals. want to talk ensemble tears, go look at some full prelims videos when they hit.

Jeff,

Your saying there were some bad tears in open class as well? I know we certainly don't have the luxury of rehearsing every day, that's the beauty of DCA. Making a killer product only on weekends. But tears at finals weekend are just unacceptable to me. We tore in our drum solo in finals 2002. Pretty #### bad, but we got a kick in the butt from Robby Robinson and whoever else was on ensemble percussion that night.

Jeff,

Your saying there were some bad tears in open class as well? I know we certainly don't have the luxury of rehearsing every day, that's the beauty of DCA. Making a killer product only on weekends. But tears at finals weekend are just unacceptable to me. We tore in our drum solo in finals 2002. Pretty #### bad, but we got a kick in the butt from Robby Robinson and whoever else was on ensemble percussion that night.

I dont know about any tears (at least not like the 3 good ones we had in 07 prelims) but after our own performance I saw a fair number of front to back phasing that verged on tears, and at the very highest levels. Call em "mini tears" I suppose.

These things happen even in top 12 DCI, with the nature of the activity rarely does anyone not experience this every now and again.

Yeah, no kidding. This is bull. What do they have to do? Spontaneously create fire on the field? Geez. :music:

Can't do that. The judges would tag them with a 10 point pyrotechnic penalty. :thumbup:

Edited by Kiltiesop

WOW, THIS WAS UNBELIEVABLE. GREAT JOB GUYS, GREAT, GREAT JOB.