SCV 2000

One of my friends brought over the 2000 season DVDs yesterday and we were watching SCV 2000. I forgot how much I loved that show. Especially the ballad! I had goose pimples watching it on a laptop! It is definitely on my top ten "wow" drum corps moments.

If you were a member of SCV in 2000, I'd like to take a moment to tell you that you were the deal.

Simply,

Kassi

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite one less-than-stellar moment from the audience (gotta wonder how much grief those girls took afterward) at the end of the Agnus Dei that quite frankly ruined the moment, I treasure this show as well. The music book is top-shelf and visuals ain't a whole heckuva lot behind that. Emotional moments galore, a compelling show! :tongue:

Thinking that maybe, just maybe, this thread will end up getting moved to Historical.

I appreciate this show. :tongue:

I LOVE this show! INCREDIBLE!

The last chord of their show (or at least the last loud chord) is my favorite chord in DCI history

Great show, really subtle and sophisticated, wonderful music book. Everything an SCV show should be. I like how they took so many pieces from outside the genre (choral piece, string quartet, string quartet/string orchestra piece, percussion ensemble piece) and made them work so beautifully with brass and percussion. I mean, the only piece in the show that had any brass originally was the Bartok Piano Concerto No. 1, which is an awesome piece in itself and pretty much my jam.

(OK, at this point I decided I had to pull it up on FNet)

The guard was really good that year, and I love the body stuff they did. Classy uniforms. The Bartok is so driving and totally ######. I love how they integrated the percussion into the ballads with the the snare rolls in the beginning and the suspended cymbals on the front sideline in Adagio. The percussion feature is cool as hell and the crazy pit part right before the brass re-entrance (about 4:22 on the Fnet video) is totally righteous--controlled chaos. One of my favorite drum corps moments comes soon after that when the tenors answer the brass line (it's hard to explain, but I listen to that part a LOT on the State of the Art 2 CD).

If you were a member of SCV in 2000, I'd like to take a moment to tell you that you were the deal.

Simply,

Kassi

Though I often frequent these forums in my free time, this is my first time posting here. Your post, Kassi, prompted me to post here. As a member of SCV's 2000 season, I would like you thank you for your kind words.

First, a bit about me. I marched from 1998 - 2001 in the Santa Clara Vanguard. When I started, the 1st and 2nd low brass marched Baritones, and the 3rds marched Euphonium. I marched Baritone until 2001 when we switched to the Bb horns; at this point we ALL marched Euphonium. In the same year, we went from 12 bugle baris and 10 bugle euphs to 22 Bb euphs. Man... what a difference that made in our sound :)

Anyhow.... back to the topic at hand....

I must admit, while I was marching in the 2000 season, I didn't like the show at first. You hear all the time about shows that are too hard to be cleaned. This seemed to be one of those shows. With the exception of our ballad, Agnus Dei, we were marching our butts off the whole time. Our opener was mid-tempo, but most of us marched double time throughout; and as you all know, the second piece and closer were 200 bpm. And there was no shortage of notes to be played either. Heck, our second piece was actually three different tunes combined into a four minute piece at 200 bpm... and then, after feeling like we had just sprinted a 10 mile marathon, the baris/euphs had to immediately play a pianissimo note to start Agnus Dei.

To contribute to my dislike of the show, at that time, I had also marched in 1998 and 1999. 98 was a great show... especially Grohg (opener) and Hear Ye Hear Ye! (our third tune). Grohg was, in my opinion, one of the most bad### openers of all time; and, Hear Ye! Hear Ye! always ended with the crowd on their feet. And 1999... well, you all know that show was just ridiculously awesome.

So here we were, marching this incredibly hard show in 2000, trying to defend our title.... most of us trying desperately to just make it through the show. It wasn't until after Denver that we really felt like we could conquer this show. Denver really is a wonderful place for the California corps. You go from a place of relatively low altitude to "Mile High Stadium" and it feels like you're having an asthma attack, the air is so thin. You just can't breathe. Once you leave Denver, however, you feel like you can conquer the world on a single breath.

This is when I started to enjoy our show. We were able to plow through the show with a ton of intensity and have energy to spare at the end. We started playing louder and flanking harder. The only drawback, at this point, was our quiet ending. Most drum corps enjoy a loud, standing ovation at the end of their shows. Our ending created a question mark in our crowds ("should we start clapping now?"). But we embraced the ending and pressed onward.

In hindsight, this show really was incredible; and honestly, it should have placed higher than fourth in 2000. I think many of you agree, as I've read those "What are your favorite shows of all time?" threads, and SCV 2000 always seems to accumulate quite a few votes.

In closing, I'd like to thank all of you one more time for your constant support of SCV, even when they aren't in the top 3. SCV has a lot of class and an amazing work ethic. Please be sure to cheer for them as though they are the best corps in DCI at every show. Trust me.... that is NEVER taken for granted, and will keep these kids coming back for more every year.

Edited by scvjesse

I absolutely love this show as well. Definitely the best ever 4th place show of any corps ever. 2000 was such an amazing year from all corps, probably my favorite year of DCI.

I love the way SCV always takes some risks with their show. That ending in 2000 was absolutely amazing. And that entire show had so many WOW moments. Probably the best ballad ever put on the field.

Vanguard is always one of my top 3 favorite shows, every year except 1 since the mid 70's. Whether they place 1st or 8th, you are always in for a treat from SCV. 2000 SCV ranks right up in the top 10 shows most watched on my DVD player ever. And when they focus on the guard soloist during the ballad, I get chills. The emotion is just unbelievable.

The staff, members, and volunteers of SCV 2000 should be extremely proud of their work on that show. GREAT JOB SCV!!!!