Star of Indiana

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great post Amber…

I was introduced and talked to Cook many times before Star started (a bit more too but we’ll leave it at that) and I also talked to him during Star time but never after Star.

No, I don’t know the reason, I suspect there are many reasons to varying degrees. I was around a bit so picked some stuff up but by no means am I an expert nor do I pretend to be.

I don’t consider myself a Star basher and I’m not a Star lover either, I told you I was mostly neutral. I was happy to have a new corps around and I liked some of their shows. I also was aware of the buzz around them too; some I agreed with and some I thought was stupid and not merited. And when I see tight lips, as I do with most Star folks here, I push for an answer, that is my nature. Frankly most Star folks rather rip on me than say ‘no comment’ and it’s all too common these days to avoid the issues and go after the personalities (think our elections). I don’t paint all of Star by the folks on here but many of them and their behavior match much of what I saw on and around the field back in the day so there is something about the Star Culture that I do find disagreeable. Prior, I would have chalked it up to reactionary and given them the benefit of the doubt and being in an odd situation but not now. It's too uniform so I think it was the grooming (maybe from Star of from each other post-Star) Do keep in mind, just because I’m not a member of your fan club it does not mean I hate you (You as in Star). I’d rather you were still an active corps and I’m baffled as to why you’d even want to come back to DCI for an alumni corps

I've been coming back here waiting for somebody to step up.

Thank you Amber. This is a candid and thoughtful response that I did not expect to see. I just changed my rating on this thread to 5 stars. :innocent:

Glad to help.

I’d rather you were still an active corps

So do we!

...I’m baffled as to why you’d even want to come back to DCI for an alumni corps

Don't forget about the hole...it is still there.

I’d think putting on the old uniform would make that hole worse, sometimes its better to just walk away and not to pick at that scab

I could better understand the Star Alumni corps had it a goal beyond one more time. Like launching an open class corps (and no, not a new Star, I agree that should be left alone). What ever became of Kingsmens aspirations and all those uniform, hmmm another thread perhaps?

I’d think putting on the old uniform would make that hole worse, sometimes its better to just walk away and not to pick at that scab

I could better understand the Star Alumni corps had it a goal beyond one more time. Like launching an open class corps (and no, not a new Star, I agree that should be left alone).

Fair observation.

No comment.

You could be talking about brass theater when they performed with Canadian Brass (I'm pretty sure, if I'm wrong sorry). Those are all over that web site that begins with a you and ends in toob. :innocent:

You are correct. Blast initially toured with Canadian Brass

Thanks for all the repsonses. It is not at all like I thought it was. I really thought that the kids probably knew well before the season ended. I feel bad for the kids who really wanted to be a field corps. I guess to some degree it would be like folding, even though they went on to be successful in another venue.

It is really nice hearing from a members perspective of how they felt and what their reactions were. I think Amber had one of the best responses I have ever seen on these boards. I can see your points, and I suppose it is even more frustratating that you don't even know all the answers yourself as a member. At least if a corps folds because the finances aren't there, they at least know why they folded. If a corps has the finances, and is extremely successful, it is probably more of a lingering question of exactly what happened and why.

I have the utmost respect for Star and what they performed and accomplished over the 10 years they were on the field. I have heard their fees were kept very low, and it sounds like they were treated well by the staff. I miss their entertaining shows, want to thank their staff and performers for 10 amazing years. I never saw brass theatre unfortunately, although I have seen Blast, and enjoyed it alot. I think I'll rewatch some old Star shows tonight.

I could better understand the Star Alumni corps had it a goal beyond one more time. Like launching an open class corps (and no, not a new Star, I agree that should be left alone). What ever became of Kingsmens aspirations and all those uniform, hmmm another thread perhaps?

Trust me, that scab got picked back in 2004. And painful as it was, it was probably neccasary for some of us to finally let Star of Indiana die, because it is never coming back. And while there was no "goal" for that weekend other than marching in a parade and playing a few tunes at Cook Group HQ, out of that event came the SAA and Star United which represents the organization quite well and also allows for non-alumni to get involved as members and join the family.

I would think that the Star Alumni have a better understanding of what another "alumni get together" could involve baggage wise. There will be some poeple that won't make another appearance as a Star Alum after 2004. There may be others who didn't in 2004 that may in the future.

I'm not really sure how I feel about it all other than eventually I need to make it back home and have some cocktails with some good peeps like Amber.

Being in Madison that year was like torture. I couldn't even bring myself to go to finals. I left early to go home. I had three years left in my drum corps career. I never marched anywhere else. While sad, I'm glad that I had the time I did with a group that was at the top of the game.

harumph..."left early to go home?"...how quickly we forget the ride home on the staff bus next to the breeding pair of Carmicals :innocent: xoxo

However, none of this disappointment should reflect on the talented and devoted people who followed the drum corps years and performed in the subsequent incarnations. (And yes, it took me a long time to figure that out.)

Cheers (along with a few tears),

KS

Totally agree with you here Karen. I hope my post didn't come across as disparaging to the folks in "subsequent incarnations." I'm very proud of their accomplishments as well.