Really?

I know you're joking, but I've got to chime in. Conchs are a form of whistle, which are legal. Their resonating chamber is more complex than the typical whistle, granted, but essentially, they operate the same way as does a whistle.

Live animals would not be allowed, so I guess blowing a live conch (which would be fruitless, anyhow, and would do nothing but honk off the conch) would not be allowed. A pit could play on the shells of ex clams, but not live clams, (which would probably result in dead clams that would smell by the end of the season).

Logic would dictate that playing on emptied split-in-half coconut shells (alá "Monty Python's 'The Holy Grail'" movie) would be much more effective than playing on a yet-to-be-split coconut because the resonating chamber effect of the split coconut would not work with the whole coconut. But, since the coconut is not an animal, I guess one could use it if one could mike it properly.

By the same context, I'm guessing corps could employ all types of fruit and vegetables. Remember, we've already got gourds going on for us in the form of guiros (gourd and scrapers). And live gourds wouldn't work because they're not yet hollow. So it seems like it keeps coming back to the item being played being dead.

Bottom line: Dead conchs, clams, coconuts and gourds...good. Live conchs, clams, coconuts and gourds...bad...and perhaps a little kinky.

I also think "Honk Off the Conch" would be a great name for a rock band.

So whistles are legal? According to the dictionary-"A simple whistle is a woodwind instrument which produces sound from a stream of forced air". I asked this same question about Cavies use of a slide whistle. The answer was that while the slide whistle is technically a woodwind instrument, it is a traditional instrument used in the percussion section. Even in drum corp, the slide whistle has been used for years. But a conch shell? Somthing else I have thought about for a few years. Since we are now able to amplify, how about using a saxophone by "popping" the keys? It would be a percussion instrument.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd have to hit the saxophone with a metal hammer to get the best sound... THEN it can be a percussion insturment. :whistle:

Edited by Thunder_1M1

IMO, Surf's show was a World class show, not an Open class. The difficulty and exposure was much higher than SCVC or BDB. They just didn't march it as well. BDB and SCVC had a lot of straight lines and easy forms that they performed well.

Hence, the difference between world and open.

I would not consider Surf's show world class caliber. They had the size of a world class corp but there drill and overall demand in no way came close to world class. Both BDB and SCVC simply had superior shows.

I am currently driving the highways to collect enough of these so Surf's whole pit will have them in 2009:

woam1shell_300.jpg

If you want one pm me or just buy one here: Amphibiaphone

I'm still waiting for someone to play my "Elegy for Marching Cymbal Line and Three Mallard Ducks."

As long as no Mallard ducks are harmed during the performance of the piece - it sounds fascinating! As far as the conch goes and being a vegetarian, we can work on "To-Conch-Fu" substitute.

:cool:

I would not consider Surf's show world class caliber. They had the size of a world class corp but there drill and overall demand in no way came close to world class. Both BDB and SCVC simply had superior shows.

I disagree with you on this subject. World class caliber doesn't mean top 3 WC. It means that they could compete with others who are running a part time/regional approach, like Academy, Mandarins, Pacific Crest. Surf's show would have been right in the mix with these guys.

IMO, if OC finals were judged by world class standards the outcome would have been different.

I disagree with you on this subject. World class caliber doesn't mean top 3 WC. It means that they could compete with others who are running a part time/regional approach, like Academy, Mandarins, Pacific Crest. Surf's show would have been right in the mix with these guys.

IMO, if OC finals were judged by world class standards the outcome would have been different.

So would Teal's show too.

Well even if this was true, isn't that why they're in Open Class??

This was Surf's last year in OC. WC next year.