Star United and the Finals Exhibition

Probably for the same reason the Bridgemen are allowed into the Alumni show.

and Boston, and St. Joes of Batavia, and Mass Brass, and Park City Pride, and Crossmen Extreme,..............and,............and

Actually, I have less of problem with this in the same manner (DCA vs DCI) as Cheez and others, ................although there are DCI mindset folks out there who don't respect or even acknowledge DCA's existance..................but the professional, (specifically Blast) aspect of it rubs me a little harder,...................however, I know many corps have professional musicians, many of them card carriing union members, (myself being one of them),.............. but a professional touring ensemble, that is/was/has been assembled for a specific purpose like this, is more than a lttle different,...................it is a lot different,..............or something :thumbup:

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok.....since this is the greatest country in the world with FREE SPEECH as one of those benefits, allow me to retort.

The mini-corps competition didn't NEED to have Star participate to have the "bar raised".....that would have happened all by itself without their "help".

Now that they are top dog for the meantime everyone is just raining accolades because they "raised the bar" or because they "shook up the status quo".

Whatever.

You don't see ANY DCA factions competiting in DCI I&E do you?!

So then why is a DCI faction allowed to compete in a uniquely DCA competition?

How many professional musicians are in Star?..............bueller.............bueller...........

I hope the day is comming soon where someone in the mini-corps world knocks Star off the top of the mountain.

Clarification: "raised the bar" cannot be quoted becasue the phrase was "set the bar".

Inquiry: If "professional musicians" are not allowed then should we bid adieu to Joey Pero and company as well as those making a living in music? Sorry, Donny, you can't play next season.

Inquiry#2: If DCI membership is cause for disqualification, we'd have a hard time fielding any corps, true?

Inquiry #3: Boston=DCI, Kilties=DCI, Optimists=DCI, Bridgemen=DCI, Crossmen=DCI, Kingsmen=DCI...etc. Sorry guys, better stay home next year?

Inquiry #5: If Gino's hornline gets to be too good (and, boy, is it close), will we then criticize it as being too professional and "not DCA enough"?

I find that votes in blogland are cast in numbers. Given the responses, it appears that those welcoming Star as a dca member are in the majority.

I'm dam* glad to have 'em.

Edited by wishbonecav

How many professional musicians are in Star?..............bueller.............bueller...........

If you mean how many people currently make at least 70% of their income from performing as a musician, not as an educator....

By my count, that number would be... Zero.

If you mean, how many people at one time or another in their life have made at least 70% of their income in a year from playing, the number rises to

Out of 21.

I have heard this argument bandied about by many folks, including people I know personally.

That we are all ringers.

Professionals.

Blast cast members.

Paid by Bill Cook.

On a mission from G-D.

Whatever...

All I know is that, the two guys in the line this year, write the fingerings in on their music, because they cannot read music.

Star United provides a high level of quality at all times from good old fashioned sweat equity.

You know, hard work.

Adherence to the program.

Member commitment.

The exact same things that all drum and bugle corps who are successful in either DCI or DCA or VFW or whatever the heck you want to call it have always done.

So for those of you who love what we do, Thanks for the accolades.

But we need to give a huge thank you to the people who flicked us off and yelled stupid crap at us during our performances.

That kind of s*%t gives us a chubby!

If we make you feel upset/uncomfortable enough to yell at us or risk your own bodily harm from flipping the bird (Hornline ogre will be dispatched).........

Then we are doing exactly what we should be doing.

For DCA. For Star. For ourselves.

See you next year!

shockandawe2007SU.jpg

Edited by JeffBanyots

If you mean how many people currently make at least 70% of their income from performing as a musician, not as an educator....

If you mean, how many people at one time or another in their life have made at least 70% of their income in a year from playing, the number rises to

Out of 21.

I have heard this argument bandied about by many folks, including people I know personally.

That we are all ringers.

Professionals.

Blast cast members.

Paid by Bill Cook.

On a mission from G-D.

Whatever...

All I know is that, the two guys in the line this year, write the fingerings in on their music, because they cannot read music.

Star United provides a high level of quality at all times from good old fashioned sweat equity.

You know, hard work.

Adherence to the program.

Member commitment.

The exact same things that all drum and bugle corps who are successful in either DCI or DCA or VFW or whatever the heck you want to call it have always done.

So for those of you who love what we do, Thanks for the accolades.

But we need to give a huge thank you to the people who flicked us off and yelled stupid crap at us during our performances.

That kind of s*%t gives us a chubby!

If we make you feel upset enough to yell at us or risk your own bodily harm from flipping the bird (Hornline ogre will be dispatched).........

Then we are doing it exactly right.

See you next year.

shockandawe2007SU.jpg

Forget the haters, man. You guys were awesome on both Friday night and Sunday. That was one of the best renditions of Rocky Point I've heard, and who cares that I'm under 30. Eagerly awaiting what you guys bring to DCA next year.

Look at how many SU members marched in 1985 and 1986. These are folks from the very beginining of the corps.

No kidding. There's a guy that aged out of the baritone line with me in 1985 that has played with SU for 3 years now. He's an engineer in real life.

And this:

Nice. :thumbup: Real impressive. Drum corps should be real proud of that kind of behavior.

Edited by SaraNYC

Out of 21.

I wish I made 70% of my income as a professional musician, I'd be having a lot more fun, but 95% of the professional musicians in the world do not make that mark, most do other things to live on...........if you think that is the definition of a professional, you just insulted a whole lot of people,...............anyway,.............you did answer a lot of questions, and for that I thank you and wished it came along a long time ago,...............however, there are many you left aside for continued speculation/commentary/criticism, whatever...................

Edited by Gary Matczak

Alum or not....they are still a DCI CORPS.

When they haven't fielded a corps of ANY sort in DCI in 16 YEARS??? Your "logic" there totally escapes me....If you took all the DCI vets out of DCA...INCLUDING minicorps and alum corps...how many would you have on the field?? NOT VERY #### MANY!

You don't see ANY DCA factions competiting in DCI I&E do you?!

Since it's already been established that Star United is NOT a DCI organization, your point is utterly irrelevant. I see the blindly ignorant facxtion's still out in good force, tho.

So then why is a DCI faction allowed to compete in a uniquely DCA competition?

BECAUSE THEY'RE NOT A DCI CORPS, YOU MORON!!! Hello? Star ALUMNI from the Star field years....even if they were 12 in 93, they'd be aged OUT of DCI now...please pull your head out.

Nice to see the anti-Star haterade is still flowing :thumbup::music::music::peek: ....at least THIS time the Star alums have had somepractice dealing with it (i.e. ignoring the idiocy)

Do you REALIZE how stupid you sound???

Star U....keep doing what you're doing....I still have VERY fond memories of "Praise Ye" opening the 06 show.

Joey,

I'm in agreement with you. Star could bring their Aussie's as you've suggested, or even dress up in Kangaroo costumes, the fact remains that they are the three time, undefeated DCA MiniCorps champions for a reason. :music:

They have consistently displayed a high level of performance, show design, excellence, and last but not least, Class. They are deserving of every accolade that they have received and in my opinion, continue to represent the very best in our little corner of the drum corps activity.

There are many different types and styles of corps represented, and it is this reality that makes this segment of the activity so popular and fast growing. There was a style for everyone in the audience on Friday evening to enjoy and embrace.

Competition and diversity in all walks of life is healthy and beneficial as it forces those with the desire, to adapt and improve in order to achieve excellence.

You would be hard pressed to find two more contrasting styles of show design than Star United and Mass Brass, and yet the overall intent of both corps was to Entertain, to Excel, and to Enjoy. Mission Accomplished I believe!!!

At Mass Brass, we felt that we left our best performance out there when we needed it, and still came up a little short in the end. No apologies or regrets from us, Star came out and did what they had to do and won the day. Mass Brass will be back next year, and look we forward to the challenge of improving upon our second place finish.

It was an absolute pleasure to share the stage on Friday night with so many talented and dedicated musicians from each of the competing corps. I think that looking towards next year, many if not all competing corps will be aiming towards the bar set by Star United as a standard by which to set their goals.

Congratulations to all competing corps for terrific performances at the show, and special congratulations to Star United for a well earned victory.

:thumbup:

Despite the fact you play the baritone, you DID get it right on this one, Paulie.

Congratulations Star on your win and congrats to all the performers this past weekend on another successful championships!

Strutta

Corps Director

MASS BRASS