Rule change thread

Proposal: Picking a corps for each scoring sub-caption

Rationale: While the separation of the Top 12 by about a point is exciting, I think it would show a greater knowledge of DCI if you can make the right picks all the way down on the sub-caption level. While it would mean more work for both the admins and the corps directors, it would force competitors to posess more knowledge of DCI and less blind luck. It would also create a larger point spread.

Effect on the activity: Larger point spread; more scoring possibilities; fewer ties.

Submitted by: Tyler Clevenger - Inferno

I think this idea is doable, but as I see it, it would require two things. One, expanding the database to allow more slots to pick and two, doubling (or at least increasing) the number of points available to directors.

Proposal: Picking a corps for each scoring sub-caption

Rationale: While the separation of the Top 12 by about a point is exciting, I think it would show a greater knowledge of DCI if you can make the right picks all the way down on the sub-caption level. While it would mean more work for both the admins and the corps directors, it would force competitors to posess more knowledge of DCI and less blind luck. It would also create a larger point spread.

Effect on the activity: Larger point spread; more scoring possibilities; fewer ties.

Submitted by: Tyler Clevenger - Inferno

I agree with your reasoning, but this proposal fundamentally changes the play of the game. I would need to see a lot more detail - point totals, number of changes, etc. Would we just double everything? As you mention, this would be a lot more work for everyone, and may discourage some folks who are comfortable with the way the league is currently played. I know I spend a lot of time working out details and analyzing numbers, I can just imagine the work if we used sub-caption numbers. Also, do we even have this info for past seasons? If this is to be applied to the off season, we will need recaps with sub-captions for past seasons. This proposal would also be a ton of work for Jeff, who would need to re-write the code on how the system enters and calculates scores.

But if Jeff is up to the challenge, I say lets put this up to a vote and see what happens.

I agree with your reasoning, but this proposal fundamentally changes the play of the game. I would need to see a lot more detail - point totals, number of changes, etc. Would we just double everything? As you mention, this would be a lot more work for everyone, and may discourage some folks who are comfortable with the way the league is currently played. I know I spend a lot of time working out details and analyzing numbers, I can just imagine the work if we used sub-caption numbers. Also, do we even have this info for past seasons? If this is to be applied to the off season, we will need recaps with sub-captions for past seasons. This proposal would also be a ton of work for Jeff, who would need to re-write the code on how the system enters and calculates scores.

But if Jeff is up to the challenge, I say lets put this up to a vote and see what happens.

Yeah, doubling would do the trick, wouldn't it? Maybe I'm just so much of a nerd that creating that extra detail would be a plus for me. :cool: Like you said, if Jeff is up for the extra workload (and as Matt said, expanding the database), let's put it to a vote.... Something I didn't think about is your point that it would mean needing recaps with sub-captions for past years. That could get stressful....

At this point, I am not sure that using the sub captions would be doable. Not only do we not have the data for the previous seasons, but it would be a LOT of work to make all of those changes. I will consult with John since he has someone that does most of the programming on the site. But I may have to veto this one for now.

Proposal: Eliminate I+E and replace with an extra show day.

Rationale: Participation in this has been low the last couple seasons. Eliminating the event will allow corps to schedule an extra show before the first round of finals.

Proposed by: Providence

Proposal: During off-seasons, use generated scores for all captions on finals night.

Rationale: This will inject a greater amount of unpredictability into championships during the off-season and make it more challenging for directors to "predict" the final score or winning captions early on.

Finals week schedule would look like this, as far as each night's scores would go:

Day 1: Div 2/3 prelims; generated scores (which I think we already do)

Day 2: Div 2/3 semis, Div 1 prelims: Div 1 quarterfinal scores

Day 3: Div 2/3 finals, Div 1 semis: Div 1 finals scores (drops D1 semis scores and gives D2/3 directors a chance to actually use D1 finals night scores instead of having to settle for semis scores)

Day 4: Div 1 finals: generated scores

Live season scoring would remain unchanged.

Submitted by: Kosmos

Will give this one more week before closing this thread. If anyone has a rules proposal, speak now....

When are we going to vote on these?

Next week. Wanted to give everyone a chance to make their suggestions.

Proposal: Rotating calendar for finals.

Rationale: Create a regular regional rotation for finals during off-seasons, to have a more equitable distribution of finals sites. I'd prefer not to be doing Indy every other season.

DCPI 12: South

DCPI 13: West

DCPI 14: North

DCPI 15: Midwest

etc

Proposal: Allow use of corps that did not compete in World Class during the previous live season, giving them each a point value of 9 points.

This is going to be tabled til next year. I will have to see how feasible this is, since we would have no way to generate the first few scores for these corps.

I am also tabling the proposal to add sub captions, for the same reasons. I would need to discuss it with John to see how possible it would be to add all of that. It would require a ton of work, having to remodel just about the whole site to allow subcaptions.