Rule change thread

If you want to make a proposal, please do so here. Please keep it in the following format:

Proposal:

Rationale:

Effect on the activity:

Submitted by:

Please note that me and JohnD have final say on all rule changes.

Proposal: Increase maximum point level for every division by 5 or 10 (whichever is deemed most suitable).

Rationale: This is a minor thing, but I'd like to see Finals scores a little bit higher (i.e., closer to "the real thing").

Effect on the activity: Minimal; Championship week scores would be slightly higher across the board.

Submitted by: Kevin Pogue (aka "Brandon Hostrauser")

Proposal: Add INT as a competing corps with a corps cost of 1 point.

Rationale: Because they rock the house and blow the doors down at shows all across the country. They need to be recognized

Effect on the activity: Would allow DCPI to recognize the greatness that is INT, as well as expanding cost options for lower-tier corps

Submitted by: Matt Briddell, Kosmos- with the encouragement of Mike Boo :thumbup:

Proposal: Allow use of corps that did not compete in World Class during the previous live season, giving them each a point value of 9 points.

Rationale: With the anticipated rise and return of a number or corps to World Class during the 2009 season, it would be a benefit to us all to allow those corps into our field of play. The value of 9 is derived by the highest point value, 25, divided by 3, rounded up to the nearest point. It is a fair number that may prove to be expensive for some corps but a value for others.

Effect on the activity: Allows all competing corps to be "in play."

Submitted by: Chris Rohn - The Corps of Unspecified Identity

Edited by Chris Rohn

Proposal: Consolidation of Division II and Division III into one "Open Class" category. Each director will be allowed a maximum of two corps to compete in the DCP-I Open Class, one corps with a season end maximum point value of 110, and one corps with a season end maximum point value of 105.

Rationale: To better align DCP-I with the current organizational aspects of DCI.

Effect on the activity: It would effectively end one of the trophies, but could pose interesting to see if a 105 point corps could best the 110 point corps for the championship. A 5-point difference is significant enough yet small enough to make that a possibility.

Submitted by: Chris Rohn - Dude, Where's My Corps? and The Detroit City Council

Proposal: Rename Division I to "World Class." Directors will be allowed only one corps in this category. Point values to remain as-is or as affected by rules congress vote. Passage of this rule to become null and void if "Open Class" proposal fails.

Rationale: To better align DCP-I with the current organizational aspects of DCI.

Effect on the activity: Change in title only.

Submitted by: Chris Rohn - The Corps of Unspecified Identity

Proposal: Consolidation of Division II and Division III into one "Open Class" category. Each director will be allowed a maximum of two corps to compete in the DCP-I Open Class, one corps with a season end maximum point value of 110, and one corps with a season end maximum point value of 105.

Effect on the activity: It would effectively end one of the trophies, but could pose interesting to see if a 105 point corps could best the 110 point corps for the championship. A 5-point difference is significant enough yet small enough to make that a possibility.

Submitted by: Chris Rohn - Dude, Where's My Corps? and The Detroit City Council

Boo to that. I didn't like it when DCI did it, so I'm not eager to see it done in DCP-I.

In reality, I think it would just make the D-III corps obsolete. They'd be lucky to place in the Top 10.

Boo to that. I didn't like it when DCI did it, so I'm not eager to see it done in DCP-I.

In reality, I think it would just make the D-III corps obsolete. They'd be lucky to place in the Top 10.

I agree with this sentiment. Unlike other drum corps circuits, we have a very HEALTHY and ACTIVE roster of div 2 and div 3 competing corps that consistently come out each season. And imo we don't need to be aligned with the "organizational aspects" of DCI- we've done pretty well as we are for 10 seasons.

Will give this one more week before closing this thread. If anyone has a rules proposal, speak now....

Proposal: Picking a corps for each scoring sub-caption

Rationale: While the separation of the Top 12 by about a point is exciting, I think it would show a greater knowledge of DCI if you can make the right picks all the way down on the sub-caption level. While it would mean more work for both the admins and the corps directors, it would force competitors to posess more knowledge of DCI and less blind luck. It would also create a larger point spread.

Effect on the activity: Larger point spread; more scoring possibilities; fewer ties.

Submitted by: Tyler Clevenger - Inferno