Rochester Review

165 HA BUSH MARCHED AT 186 BEATS PER MIN 165 IS NOTHING TO WHAT THE BUSHWACKERS DID THIS SEASON

Let me take this time to to make an apology for this latest comment from someone that may or may not be a member of the Bushwackers.

We have a policy in place urging our members to stay away from these types of threads and remarks on the internet, Evidently this person didnt get the message.

Jay Morlot

Director

The Harrison Bushwackers

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leslie,

You guys did an outstanding job! Mr. B would have loved this year's team. And a lot of corps would love to have Peter Weber as their drill designer. Heck, we even had Bush's 1986 drill designer on our brass staff.

In fact, I invite any of you to go to "a particular website where You can view video clips that others have posted," and look for "2008 empire statesmen - show closer."

Edited by Tom D'Bomb
youtube link removal

Leslie,

You guys did an outstanding job! Mr. B would have loved this year's team. And a lot of corps would love to have Peter Weber as their drill designer. Heck, we even had Bush's 1986 drill designer on our brass staff.

I think the comment may have been comparing to other corps. Maybe that is what was meant to be said.

I think the comment may have been comparing to other corps. Maybe that is what was meant to be said.

My comments were directed at Leslie from Empire. Out of respect for Jay Morlot and David Bruni - let's leave it at that.

165 HA BUSH MARCHED AT 186 BEATS PER MIN 165 IS NOTHING TO WHAT THE BUSHWACKERS DID THIS SEASON

Easy there poppy. Be proud of what we accomplished! No need to sling mud here. It was a great season with a fantastic finale.

Please keep in mind the above person does not in any shape or form speak on behalf on the entirety of the Bushwackers Drum & Bugle Corps, and is one persons thoughts or beliefs.

I for one wish to offer my congratulations to the Empire Statesman on a terrific anniversary season.

thanks for clarifying that kyle

congrats to all !

Empire: This is where I get critical. If you are too sensitive for criticism, please jump down to the review of Reading. Okay, it's an anniversary show, I get it... it's hard not to understand. But did we need the gigantic signs? I think the music is powerful enough. I was insulted by the cue cards telling me what they were playing. In my opinion, they were unnecessary. But then again, I've never been a big fan of props. You tell your story with music, color and movement. Which brings me to my next criticism... the hornline doesn't move. It's as if they have decided to ignore the movement aspect of the activity. They make no attempt at a marching technique. In fact, often times they are walking around the field in a formation. This is a marching activity. They had the cleanest hornline on the field, no doubt, but they were rarely moving and playing. Far too often, the hornline was either walking or they were parked for extended periods of time. The judges should have nailed them on this and they didn't. They are suppose to be judging the "How" and the "What" and they were only judging the "How" Now, I will say, they had one of the best sounding hornlines of the night. And I thought Joey sounded better than ever. (and the the solos were more tasteful than they've ever been) I can see the argument for them winning high brass. I just wish they had marched. I would have had them in fifth place.

My response to you comments about Empire's drill is more for clarification than anything else. I am a member of the hornline that you feel didn't "move" on the field. Can you please define "move" for me? If I remember my drill and counts correctly, I stood still for short time in Sing Sing, again at the end of My Way when we sang (12 counts) and for the last 8 counts of the same song, and then again at the end of the drum solo while waiting for one member to get back into line (which amounted to no more than 8 counts). All other parts of my drill demanded that I be in excellent physical condition and required that I expand alot of effort aerobically to make it through while playing at the same time. Did you see our opener where we were marching at 164 beats per minute, our drum solo segment (an even faster pace) and our closer in reference to moving around the field? Did you notice that our drumline participated in every marching aspect of our drill and never went to a back sideline to stand throughout an entire song? Our drill writer currently writes drills for Santa Clara Vanguard and certainly made sure that we were moving.

While I appreciate your comments, about the quality of our horn line and we did work very hard to perform well while moving throughout the drill field. I would very much appreciate your clarification about moving! You can watch the video segments on DCP of both prelims and finals and see that we move and are covering the entire field from 15 to 15 yard lines.

As an educator for over 25 years and as an older member of the Empire Statesmen, I am very aware of the importance of feedback to help improve upon performance. This feedback has me really confused......

DITTO TO THAT!!!!!

Sorry but if anyone dares to say that our hornline doesn't march... I beg to differ and they can look at the clip of our closer on youtube... watching clips of our show made me realize that we rarely stand still...

GET IT HORNLINE, BEST HORNLINE IN DCA!!!!!!!

great review. and if you do a review, someone somewhere will always take offense. i'm actually disappointed I didn't get much hate mail this year :sad:

I find myself agreeing with a lot of what you said

great review. and if you do a review, someone somewhere will always take offense. i'm actually disappointed I didn't get much hate mail this year :sad:

I find myself agreeing with a lot of what you said

I don't think the ES member was taking offense but was asking the OP to clarify what he meant by Empire standing around. If somebody is going to post his/her opinions, you should be able to question it especially if that person is tied to another corps and you feel that he/she is wrong. The OP did have positive and negative(or constructive) points for each corps but I did find it very inconsistent. For example, Buccs stand still for approx 40 counts in Canon which to me seemed a lot longer than anything any other corps did. This wasn't mentioned in the review though to me it stood out like a sore thumb.

Just my opinion though.