DCI or BOA

Ok, so after what I consider to be the most boring year of DCI since the mid90's, I am actually more excited about the upcoming band season that ever. I am seriously thinking about going to Indy for BOA championships.

It also got me thinking about which organization is better. I always thought that alot of BOA bands were a ripoff of DCI, but after listening to alot of BOA cd's lately, I realize that just as many corps have performed musical shows that were previously and recently played by BOA bands.

Another really nice thing about BOA is the number of participants. I was reading if you go to finals weekend, you can see over 90 bands in competition. Sure beats the # 20, which is the number of corps you saw at quarterfinals this year.

And the level of talent of these marching bands is starting to rival DCI. I would say after watching video performances, if you took the 90 bands in competition, and the 20 corps in competition, at least 4 bands would probably make finals. That is if you took away the brass caption, and changed it to winds. And to think the average age of alot of these bands is 16 1/2.

I know of a local band from Iowa that competed in one of the prelims for BOA. This band would probably be rivaling DCI corps for 15th place in quartfinals. They compete in BOA regionals, and average placing between 29th and 35th. And from what I understand, the band director thought the placements were accurate, as they watched alot of the other bands in competition.

In all honesty, I am thinking that maybe BOA gives you alot more for your money as far as the competitions go. And maybe after seeing all the political judging that goes on in DCI, I consider the whole thing a joke. I have gotten to the point where I just go to see the shows, and don't even worry about the scores. I usually know the scores in advance. I don't think BOA is quite as political, but I could be wrong. From the videos I have seen, it seems like the right bands have won, and placed where I would have thought they should.

Looking back at this season I enjoyed every corps, but there were only 6 shows that really excited me. I have the feeling out of 90 bands, the numbers of exciting shows will be at least double that.

So for those of you involved with both activities, which do you think is the better deal for your money?

Edited by gottalovit

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know that I can draw a direct comparison between the two (no matter how hard DCI pushes to insinuate itself into the realm of "music education" and the base therein). The funding, structure and everything excepting the on-field product is apples and oranges to a school music product.

Are there more BOA bands? There sure are, especially at regionals and Grand Nationals . . but, then again, there's plenty of taxpayer money and school systems out there as well.

As far as value and the better deal goes: well, there's an argument to be made for quantity alone. . .but there's also one to make on quality.

Up to you to judge which one is better for your bucks. :innocent:

as far as how much you're getting for your money, it's boa, easily.

as far as what it is that you're going to be seeing, dci wins by a landslide.

the best boa bands can rival corps like pacific crest (if you took out the woodwinds...), but you couldn't even reach into finals, much less the level of the corps contending for the title, with any high school band, at all, ever.

Actually, BOA shows on a cleanliness scale can rival corps like Pacific Crest.

As far as visual and musical difficulty, they are not on that scale. They would probably be a lower level open class corps, if the same difficulty level was placed on their shows (yes, i know what im talking about, because i know people that marched in BOA and open class; they said drum corps was harder).

Just the fact that endurance and physical training are so prevalent in DCI corps and not in BOA bands is an indicator.

Its apples to oranges

For my money, DCI hands down

Oh, I tried BOA many years ago and it just was not for me, not my thing at all, not entertaining which is partly why I’m opposed to the idea that drum corps = marching band. because if that were true, I wouldn’t be here or there, I'm selfish that way

I honestly don't know how i'm going to stand BOA this year..

Hands down,No questions asked DCI!!!!

I was a fan of BOA, but I was a fan of the direction my high school's marching band wanted to take BOA (hint: it was a lot like early '90s DCI). Unfortunately that wasn't the direction in which it ultimately went, and thus I am no longer a fan.