DCI or BOA

Im very prejudiced , I eat bandos for breakfast , But i do appreciate what bands do for the whole corps thing , corps is where people go to be the best whereas bands are where people go for a grade .

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im very prejudiced , I eat bandos for breakfast , But i do appreciate what bands do for the whole corps thing , corps is where people go to be the best whereas bands are where people go for a grade .

That is far from universally true these days, at least around NJ where I live...many marching bands are extra-curricular activities, such as the one I work with. ALL MB activity happens after school hours. During the day band class is concert band from day one...that is where the grade happens.

Hence the tiny size of our MB versus the overall band program.

So for those of you involved with both activities, which do you think is the better deal for your money?

That's simple: DCI is better for corps and BOA (Music for All) is better for bands.

I personally love both.

How can you go to a drum corps forum and ask a question of that sort? That's like going to a baseball forum and ask which is better, baseball or basketball.

BOA and DCI are two totally different things, you can't compare them.

Also there were 49 corps at DCI if you include Open and World.

Edited by CoHmempho04

You have lost your mind! I have seen many BOA finalists and champions live and not a single one could ever make finals. Good....but really no comparison.

Good-bye!! Enjoy your bands!!!

i pretty much hate most BOA bands, so uhhh......yeah

I have never ever ever seen a marching band that could approach making finals! I don't know where you people get this crap? I can only imagine it comes from jealous bando kids trying to prop themselves up. You may be more entertained by a band show than a drum corps show that has absolutely no bearing on which is better from a performance, demand, and design standpoint.

Sometimes being on this forum makes me feel like I am in an insane asylum. And yes, I have been to many many BOA shows in different capacities.

That is far from universally true these days, at least around NJ where I live...many marching bands are extra-curricular activities, such as the one I work with. ALL MB activity happens after school hours. During the day band class is concert band from day one...that is where the grade happens.

Hence the tiny size of our MB versus the overall band program.

I think what he means is there are a lot of people who stay in band for reasons other than performing in a great ensemble. I know many people who were in it simply for the PE credit they got and it showed in the way they practiced and performed....just going through the motions. I often wonder how something could be fun for somebody when done so half-arse. I never understood why these people didn't just walk away...alas, the PE credit. It seems that being great would be a lot more fun than being mediocre especially when you're going to have to be at band practice anyways...being there is like 70% of what it takes. Why not put in the extra 30%? This is why drum corps was like the promised land to me. Everyone in the group cared as much if not more than I did.

Not to blast you but:

If you've ever been on the field for both as a performer, judge, anything - you would allready know the answer to this question. Nothing surpasses the individual execution that is required to perform in a top 12 corps. Period! And anyone here who has ever marched a top 12 corps has likley marched High School band and possibly college, and I am willing to bet, they would back this up.

DCI - this is why you cannot become more like BOA = people who dont know enough to know they dont know, are getting confused.... :innocent::blink::blink:

Edited by jstdrumn