DCI or BOA

Sorry if I offended anyone with my opinion, but I honestly thought 2008 was weaker than any year this decade. I enjoyed every show I saw this year(even Cadets minus the talking), but only about 8 shows really excited me, and most years there are between 11-15 shows I just absolutely can't wait until I get the high quality DVD in November. Some years, like 2000, there have been 18 shows I just couldn't wait to see.

The only school that I am aware of that has competed in BOA from Iowa lately is Davenport Central. I think if you would compare them to DCI corps, I would put them close to the level of Spirit. Now granted it has been 2 years since they have been at any of the competitions I have been to, but just in general, I think the product they put on the field every year I have seen them is fantastic. There are other bands I think that would possibly be competing for semi's in DCI from the state of Iowa. Cedar Rapids Prairie, Waterloo West, West Des Moines Valley, Independence, Oskaloosa, and Pella. These bands are definitely better than the lower placing corps that I have seen in DCI most years. And these bands wouldn't even come close to competing for placement at BOA.

So for example, let's just take Pioneer as an example. I like Pioneer every year, and usually there are 19 shows that I like a little bit better. But after seeing video of BOA, I think most of these bands appear to be better than Pioneer. So yes, the very top corps may be a lot better than the best bands of BOA, but in general, there will probably be 65-70 bands in BOA that are better than Pioneer, who I really do like, so that means there is a much greater chance that I will love more than 25 bands performances each year.

For example when I go to West Des Moines IA to see valleyfest, I have an absolute blast. Fantastic bands from the midwest, including Valley, Waterloo West, Bellevue West NE, Irondale MN, Waseca MN, Cedar Rapids Jefferson-Kennedy-Washington, West Des Moines Dowling, Independence, Pella, Oskaloosa, and Eddyville Blakesburg are some of the bands I enjoy watching year after year. That is tons of bands that I love, just in one show, and these aren't even the best bands across the nation. I don't always love some of the gimmicks that they put on the field in BOA, but then this year corps like Cadets, Bluecoats, and Phantom put alot of gimmicks in their shows too.

I would venture that by the end of the summer, the talent level and execution of Pioneer surpasses any BOA show in existence.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if I offended anyone with my opinion, but I honestly thought 2008 was weaker than any year this decade. I enjoyed every show I saw this year(even Cadets minus the talking), but only about 8 shows really excited me, and most years there are between 11-15 shows I just absolutely can't wait until I get the high quality DVD in November. Some years, like 2000, there have been 18 shows I just couldn't wait to see.

The only school that I am aware of that has competed in BOA from Iowa lately is Davenport Central. I think if you would compare them to DCI corps, I would put them close to the level of Spirit. Now granted it has been 2 years since they have been at any of the competitions I have been to, but just in general, I think the product they put on the field every year I have seen them is fantastic. There are other bands I think that would possibly be competing for semi's in DCI from the state of Iowa. Cedar Rapids Prairie, Waterloo West, West Des Moines Valley, Independence, Oskaloosa, and Pella. These bands are definitely better than the lower placing corps that I have seen in DCI most years. And these bands wouldn't even come close to competing for placement at BOA.

So for example, let's just take Pioneer as an example. I like Pioneer every year, and usually there are 19 shows that I like a little bit better. But after seeing video of BOA, I think most of these bands appear to be better than Pioneer. So yes, the very top corps may be a lot better than the best bands of BOA, but in general, there will probably be 65-70 bands in BOA that are better than Pioneer, who I really do like, so that means there is a much greater chance that I will love more than 25 bands performances each year.

For example when I go to West Des Moines IA to see valleyfest, I have an absolute blast. Fantastic bands from the midwest, including Valley, Waterloo West, Bellevue West NE, Irondale MN, Waseca MN, Cedar Rapids Jefferson-Kennedy-Washington, West Des Moines Dowling, Independence, Pella, Oskaloosa, and Eddyville Blakesburg are some of the bands I enjoy watching year after year. That is tons of bands that I love, just in one show, and these aren't even the best bands across the nation. I don't always love some of the gimmicks that they put on the field in BOA, but then this year corps like Cadets, Bluecoats, and Phantom put alot of gimmicks in their shows too.

spot on that a band you saw 2 years ago must be better than Pioneer, who you really like even if you like the all 19 other corps in world div even better - but you still think this band is better

Yeah, I’m just floored that people on a drum corps board would think DCI is better than BOA – you know, I’d bet you get about the same response on the BOA board, which might be a better place for you to hang than, seeing that you’re slumming it here with all us DCI lovin’ loser

a quick youtube and I find a close up of their 2003 drumline in the lot (even if it looks like a hotel banquet room) and no disrespect meant, but their drum line (match grip and all) would be several points behind Pioneer’s, several

I’ll SO be looking for your reviews and opinons from now on, Cowboy

You ever see the movie Sybil, she was hot

spot on that a band you saw 2 years ago must be better than Pioneer, who you really like even if you like the all 19 other corps in world div even better - but you still think this band is better

Yeah, I’m just floored that people on a drum corps board would think DCI is better than BOA – you know, I’d bet you get about the same response on the BOA board, which might be a better place for you to hang than, seeing that you’re slumming it here with all us DCI lovin’ loser

a quick youtube and I find a close up of their 2003 drumline in the lot (even if it looks like a hotel banquet room) and no disrespect meant, but their drum line (match grip and all) would be several points behind Pioneer’s, several

I’ll SO be looking for your reviews and opinons from now on, Cowboy

You ever see the movie Sybil, she was hot

You know, I haven't seen Central since 2006, HOWEVER, I have seen every show they have put on the field since 1983 up til 2006, minus the last 2 years. And unless they have just sucked the last 2 years, which I doubt, I don't think there is a year back to 1997, that I would have thought Pioneer was better. 95-97, Pioneer would have beaten them handily, but since that time, Pioneer has kind of fallen back, and Central has put on some fantastic shows.

I think that is pretty tacky, the comment about Sybil. Sally Field did an amazing portrayal of that character.

*stands on desk and holds up a cardborad sign that says 'Sally Field's is Hot' and slowly spins around eyeing all with my general bada##ness*

Pioneer drum line this year would have creamed that youtube drum line. Fact

I also just watched a video of Des Moines marching masters doing Romeo and Juliet from 2007

And well, for a high school band, they do a great job, looks like they won some state prize too, good for them…for a DCI world class corps…oh, my ears, mommy make them stop

Look, I’m glad you like it, good for you, thanks for sharing, I did check it out and I disagree, see, I have opinions too

It’s like nipple play with jumper cables, not everyone thinks its as cool as I do, do you think Sally fields does?

Hmmmm, DCI or BOA?

My answer is.......... Yes.

They are both wonderful for what they are. I personally prefere the sound of a marching band, and the sheer number of bands in BOA is also really exciting.

However, DCI is just as amazing. It always impresses me the depth and beauty that the corps can put out year after year without having all the insturmentation that marching bands have available to them.

So, yes, they are both amazing, so it is a wonderful tie! :bigsmile:

The only school that I am aware of that has competed in BOA from Iowa lately is Davenport Central. I think if you would compare them to DCI corps, I would put them close to the level of Spirit.

I just looked these guys up on Youtube...if you think they are even in the same galaxy as Spirit from ANY year you are absolutely insane. Please go away before you make yourself look any more ignorant.

I personally like alot of the DCI shows more than band shows. It used to be going to the first show of the season, and watching the small classw 1A and 2A bands was almost painful. But lately with the slide in the number of corps, and the lack of amazingly designed shows like I used to see from DCI corps, I think I will definitely try to hit up BOA in Indy this year. That is one nice thing about the marching band competitions, is that there are alot more of them really close to home. And if you go to Valleyfest, it starts at 8AM, and runs til about 11:15PM, with over 50 bands in competition.

If I didn't love Drum Corps, I wouldn't be on DCP in the first place, and I wouldn't be so disappointed in the drop in quality of alot of the corps in recent years. But when you look at bands like Ronald Reagon, Marion Catholic, Avon, and a bunch of the other regulars in the top 12 of BOA, they are also accomplishing some amazing things, with younger members, and less rehearsal time.

Yes the overall level of DCI is better, but the quantity of very enjoyable units(at least in my opinion) is probably going to be twice as many when you get to the BOA finals week, with that many units performing. Are there shows that want to make me gag in BOA? Yes, but a couple of corps have given me shows like that in recent years. But overall I am really looking forward to seeing BOA live instead of just on DVD/online.

*... is still patiently waiting for someone to mention a good band instead of a bunch of dirty ones from nowhere city (READ: ANY OF THOSE IOWA BANDS)*

Have you actually ever even seen any band from Iowa live?