DCI or BOA

Have you actually ever even seen any band from Iowa live?

no. but i've seen a few youtube videos, and i was very surprised that anybody thought those bands were good.

now, go ahead and tell me i should save my judgment until i can see those bands live even though that would change absolutely nothing.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no. but i've seen a few youtube videos, and i was very surprised that anybody thought those bands were good.

now, go ahead and tell me i should save my judgment until i can see those bands live even though that would change absolutely nothing.

It doesn't really matter to me whether you enjoy them or not. I enjoy them alot, so I go to the shows. I enjoy DCI so I go to the shows, although this year I didn't waste the money to go to finals, I just went to the theatre and saved a bunch of $$$. The shows this year overall just didn't do it for me, so I didn't want to waste a thousand dollars going to Bloomington. Maybe next year, if the quality of shows improves overall.

I personally saw Carolina Crown clips on youtube as the season was starting, and thought I wasn't going to like their show. I did change my opinion the first time I saw them live as they totally blew me out of the water with that show this year. The top corps like SCV, Cavaliers, Blue Devils and Crown all had shows that blew me away this year, but other than corps like Blue Stars and early season Colts, I just didn't see the excitement, or well written shows in the lower tiers. Sure, Crossmen and Troopers were better than the last couple of years, but they just didn't blow me away. Yes, Madison really improved from early season to late season, and deserved to place 12th, but I wasn't anywhere near as impressed with them as I have been in the past. I am not sure what everyone else saw this year, other than a Phantom victory, but I am glad alot of people really enjoyed DCI this year. Hopefully next year will be back in the books for me as well. I am very much looking forward to seeing BOA live, and seeing how much I enjoy that experience.

One thing I noticed, instead of just expressing opinions, some people have to be extremely rude in their responses. There was absolutely no reason for the rudeness. None. There was no need to make rude comments regarding bands, or Sally Field as Sybil, or actually being spiteful because some people have an opinion that differs from their own. I can easily see why some people leave DCP and stop posting.

Edited by gottalovit

I just looked these guys up on Youtube...if you think they are even in the same galaxy as Spirit from ANY year you are absolutely insane. Please go away before you make yourself look any more ignorant.

I'd have to agree here....the sad thing is that Davenport Central is one of the better bands in Iowa and do not do well at BOA at all.

Since that felt so good, maybe time for a few more.

Madison Scouts, how sad that you sucked so bad last year, that people are excited just to see you scratching and clawing just to make finals. And with a show that just didn't quite have any of the energy of years past.

Colts, I love you dearly, but it's a shame that at the beginning of the year, you should have been top 10, but the staff were unable to improve from the beginning to the end of the season.

Cadets, it's a darn shame that you aren't able to perform to your ability, due to the fact you hired two people to act out a show, and didn't even have the ability to look like they were saying what was being said. What a waste.

Santa Clara Vanguard, that show should have been top 3, why was it not finished until July?

And people wonder why I think this year was way below par?

It's like I heard at a show a few years ago, if Phantom can make the top 3, most of the good corps must suck eggs. I guess if DCI has to bail them out of financial devastation by giving them the title out of sympathy, (waaah waaah waaah, we went to California too many times and bailed on our bank loan, because we spent all our money on those trips) then I guess it's time for me to pull my financial support. The product is starting to SUCK people. Ok, maybe not suck but it is NOWHERE near the level it has been in years past.

Live or Die...Lame

I have breast cancer...Lame

Our show isn't finished...Lame

No improvements during the season..Lame

Sunburst with 13 colorguard... Lame

Unrecognizable renditions of planets.... Lame

Judges playing games during the season to try to increase the fan support... Lame

DCI having a corps win because they screwed over the bank on their loan.....Lame

The fact that alot of the people on this board don't have an IQ over 20? Pathetic

Dang, that does feel good.

So the question then becomes...if music education was removed from the public schools would DCI change? Some of the responses I've read lead me to think some folks think that nothing would change. But...I bet even harden anti "bando" could agree that there would be a negative impact on DCI as we know it today.

That still has nothing to do with the argument which is: Is highschool band better than dci? Drum corps is like those "select" summer basketball teams where highly skilled kids are recruited from all over. Delete woodwinds and you've got 80% of your tuning problems fixed (calm down you oboes and bassoonists...I'm just kidding).

I don't know anyone in this day and age who would think drum corps would be as successful if highschool music education suddenly disappeared. There's no question that without it, DCI would not be near as strong especially in a day and age when small "teaching/developmental" drum corps have pretty much dried up.

I don't see how anyone could think that a band that's pulling it's talent base from 1 city (at the most) is going to be better than a drum corps that has a nationwide or atleast regional talent base. Include the average ages of particiapants, amount of time, and larger staff and this question just becomes preposterous.

Madison Scouts, how sad that you sucked so bad last year, that people are excited just to see you scratching and clawing just to make finals. And with a show that just didn't quite have any of the energy of years past.

Colts, I love you dearly, but it's a shame that at the beginning of the year, you should have been top 10, but the staff were unable to improve from the beginning to the end of the season.

Cadets, it's a darn shame that you aren't able to perform to your ability, due to the fact you hired two people to act out a show, and didn't even have the ability to look like they were saying what was being said. What a waste.

Santa Clara Vanguard, that show should have been top 3, why was it not finished until July?

It's like I heard at a show a few years ago, if Phantom can make the top 3, most of the good corps must suck eggs. I guess if DCI has to bail them out of financial devastation by giving them the title out of sympathy, (waaah waaah waaah, we went to California too many times and bailed on our bank loan, because we spent all our money on those trips) then I guess it's time for me to pull my financial support. The product is starting to SUCK people. Ok, maybe not suck but it is NOWHERE near the level it has been in years past.

Live or Die...Lame

Judges playing games during the season to try to increase the fan support... Lame

DCI having a corps win because they screwed over the bank on their loan.....Lame

The fact that alot of the people on this board don't have an IQ over 20? Pathetic

WOW...just friggin' wow...lol Be sure to point to this thread when you're actually old enough to audition for a drum corps. Let's see, I think there's maybe 3 or 4 drum corps you didn't p!ss on....

Live or Die...Lame

Upset much?

Looking back at this season I enjoyed every corps, but there were only 6 shows that really excited me. I have the feeling out of 90 bands, the numbers of exciting shows will be at least double that.

Let's analyze this.

Number of DCI corps "d" = 22

Number of "exciting" DCI corps "D" = 6

D / d = 27.27%

Number of BOA bands "b" = 90

Number of "exciting" BOA bands "B" = 12

B / b = 13.33%

27.27% > 13.33%

Therefore, we can mathematically and scientifically conclude that DCI is more exciting than BOA. Hope that helped!

Live or Die...Lame

n725075089_288918_2774.jpg

I marched drum corps, and I work with a high school band now... DCI shows are way more entertaining, but I still like working with high school bands and watching the kids improve. A high school band will never make someone jump on their feet to cheer, but that doesn't mean good things aren't going on. I don't like the bands with tons and tons of money who do things like... put bassoons on a stage with microphones, but high school marching band is a valuable activity.