Where did you start...

Band or Corps?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Did you start out in band or drum corps?

• School Band
    • Drum Corps

Donny said something interesting...he bet that the results of this poll would be completely different here than the WC thread. So...how many of you started in MB and how many in DC?

For clarification, if necessary, I said Marching Band...I meant school band. Since, I was in band for three years before doing marching band.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was coming up, you wouldn't be caught dead in the school band, mainly because it was so bad relative to drum corps. This was in the late 60's so things were very different.

high school & college marching band

Oh, in that case...Ayersville Cadet Band, Summer of '76.

And to an often overlooked director, Mr. Glenn Walker:

Thanks for all your hard work and teaching me to play the tuba the right way. Look at where I have gone to. It is a very long way from the little bandroom of the Ayersville middle school to Kiltie Hall in Racine, or to 1795 Space Park Dr. in Santa Clara, or to St. Andrew's in old Bayonne. Or to Weigel Hall at Ohio State. Or my bandroom at Milwaukee Hamilton High School. I owe it all to you, Mr. Walker. :cool:

Edited by BigDale

High School and College Band.

Started in a local parish Fife, Drum and Bugle Corps, which I still instruct to this day, though it is only a Fife and Drum Corps now.

When I was coming up, you wouldn't be caught dead in the school band, mainly because it was so bad relative to drum corps. This was in the late 60's so things were very different.

I have to agree with you. When I marched - '49-'61 - it was an either/or situation. In all those years we only had one person who was in both - a trumpet/soprano. And he was only in the band because the band director made a personal appeal to his parents.

Andy

Drum corps.

Drum corps. Of course, I started in corps at around 7 years old...